the truth about your hypermotive tunes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNT H8

Established Member
I don't believe Jason knew about the tune files.

Yes not knowing your tuners name is odd

My dealing with Hypermotive have always been picture perfect from A to Z... I will continue to contact him for my parts.

I have bought from BEEF before and that transaction was great but after reading his posts on FB I will not buy from him again.

Im AED tuned x3 and I respect how Shaun has not publically talked about this, it's his business and he didn't make a farse of it in the public eye...

Jason is a patriot and his representation of a "Military run company" is purely patriotic, and unless you wear/wore the uniform you have no ground to question his integrity as a Soldier.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Jason is a patriot and his representation of a "Military run company" is purely patriotic, and unless you wear/wore the uniform you have no ground to question his integrity as a Soldier.

Oh I'll play then. Retired E-7, 21 yrs. Jason "fired" a fellow vet for what I would call a lesser offence (Greg). The whole "vet" thing he is using doesn't pass muster anymore. That ship sailed when he fired Greg... So yes I WILL question integrity when warranted. FYI the military has lairs, thieves and dirt bags wearing the uniform daily. Just look at all the shit that just went down at Lackland with the sexually assaulted trainees. Hell I supervised one of the shitheads who got jailed four years prior. I would have never believed he could do what he did...

Whie5.OH

Established Member
Hey all this is Dan Schaub at Hypermotive. I just want to say I'm not here to solicit or promote Hypermotive in anyway on SVTP merely shed some light regarding the situation at hand. I have stayed quiet up in till this point, I'm not one to get involved in internet drama but I feel like I need to step in at this point. First I'd like to apologize that everyone has to hear about this issue from someone like Shaun Callahan, I just checked our records and noticed he doesn't have a tune from us.

I am kind of curious, are you getting paid by AED? Only person with the problems is the only person not saying anything. You've done very well telling your "story", last I checked you don't have a dog in this fight but have no problem using slander to bash Jay's and Hypermotive's name without having all the details or a full scope of the situation.

Jay has tried to contact him a number of times via email and phone but from what he's been told is he's "extremely busy". However, Shaun has enough time on his hands to contact Hypermotive customers, requesting they go to AED about the situation, behind Hypermotive's back. He also doesn't look to busy to talk to you or others that have told us they've talked to Shaun a few times these past few days.

I've also noticed Shaun hasn't stated anything openly, he's just been leaving it to consumers. Jay knew about the CJ manifold as did I but that's it because that's the only tune that was used on a customer. We've also been told Mike was on a 1 year DNC, legally. I think we were quick to admit openly on that once Mike told us and it was very apparent by his sincere apology over the phone.

I also noticed on the phone conversation that Shaun specifically said everything was ok and he'd hope we would continue to work together. Kind of opposite of his email conversation he had with you, don't you think?

Mike has stated to us he only used the CJ manifold tune, he looked at Shaun's tunes for other issues but that was it. We have no choice but to believe what Mike is telling us, mainly because Shaun has made a point to talk to everyone else but Jay.

Shaun C., The main problem we have is this issue doesn't concern you. The only one that this shouldn't concern is you but you're the one throwing Jay's and Hypermotive's name in the mud at every opportunity you have.

There are two side's to this and it seems that one side is going out of its way to paint a negative picture across the internet.
If anyone has any questions regarding this situation please contact us and we will more than happy to answer any question's you may have.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The source of my "disenchantment" with this company was when he essentially took my custom package, the exact way I set it up, put it on his site, and then had the balls to call it the "Best Special" after my "Beefcake Special".

As soon as I saw it, I made a post on FB about thieves and copycats. Now, I mentioned no one by name, just a general comment.

I then got a pm from Jay about "having a problem with his business".

jay1.jpg

He knew what he did, and even admits he's intelligent enough to know I knew what he did.

It's not that hard to come up with a way to list a supercharger kit for sale without copying it from my website.

Then of course. You have the company that was happy enough to take him on and allow him to sell their tunes and represent their business.

And then while your still happy to make money selling their supercharger kits. Your behning them pissing down their back.

jay3.jpg

Justin, another well respected member of this community / industry getting shit on.

And for the record, just because you ask Lund to tune for you, doesn't mean they "were talking to you".

And if me not being happy about that, and showing my disgust for a "person / business" that operates that way, costs me some sales, I can live with that 100%.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Hey all this is Dan Schaub at Hypermotive. I just want to say I'm not here to solicit or promote Hypermotive in anyway on SVTP merely shed some light regarding the situation at hand. I have stayed quiet up in till this point, I'm not one to get involved in internet drama but I feel like I need to step in at this point. First I'd like to apologize that everyone has to hear about this issue from someone like Shaun Callahan, I just checked our records and noticed he doesn't have a tune from us.

I am kind of curious, are you getting paid by AED? Only person with the problems is the only person not saying anything. You've done very well telling your "story", last I checked you don't have a dog in this fight but have no problem using slander to bash Jay's and Hypermotive's name without having all the details or a full scope of the situation.

Jay has tried to contact him a number of times via email and phone but from what he's been told is he's "extremely busy". However, Shaun has enough time on his hands to contact Hypermotive customers, requesting they go to AED about the situation, behind Hypermotive's back. He also doesn't look to busy to talk to you or others that have told us they've talked to Shaun a few times these past few days.

I've also noticed Shaun hasn't stated anything openly, he's just been leaving it to consumers. Jay knew about the CJ manifold as did I but that's it because that's the only tune that was used on a customer. We've also been told Mike was on a 1 year DNC, legally. I think we were quick to admit openly on that once Mike told us and it was very apparent by his sincere apology over the phone.

I also noticed on the phone conversation that Shaun specifically said everything was ok and he'd hope we would continue to work together. Kind of opposite of his email conversation he had with you, don't you think?

Mike has stated to us he only used the CJ manifold tune, he looked at Shaun's tunes for other issues but that was it. We have no choice but to believe what Mike is telling us, mainly because Shaun has made a point to talk to everyone else but Jay.

Shaun C., The main problem we have is this issue doesn't concern you. The only one that this shouldn't concern is you but you're the one throwing Jay's and Hypermotive's name in the mud at every opportunity you have.

There are two side's to this and it seems that one side is going out of its way to paint a negative picture across the internet.
If anyone has any questions regarding this situation please contact us and we will more than happy to answer any question's you may have.

You say I'm not running a tune from you guys like that's a bad thing... Seriously have you seen the data logs people have posted on MM? Lol.

Aed paying me off? Lol... gives me more reason to believe Jason is send I g parts to people on MM a ndthe anything 2011 group if anything is mentioned.

Shaun reached out to me, talked a lot via email. He saw that I kept asking who's the hyper tuner so he let me in.

Shaun is not emailing hyper customers telling them to go his way.... Hes not Jason, Hes not registerring to undercut his competitor like he's done to beefcake. Shaun told me to tell hyper tuned people and they can get a tune for $100 off his normal price seeing how they've been lied to and dicked around.

As far as the phone conversation, Shaun did say everything was okay, lets move forward. That was the 1 day hypermotive listed tunes for $250. The next day, went back to undercutting Shaun at $200 which it still is.

I'm sure Shaun will post up. Hes on business at the moment.

stags

Established Member

You know I was kinda willing to give Hypermotive as an entity the benefit of the doubt until I read this. From the get go I was very down on Wilson and would have probably never have bought a tune from him again, but I found it hard to condemn an entire business for the actions of one bad egg. Jason's loyalty, however misguided, is something where again I might have been willing to overlook it for a good price on parts (but not tunes).

Having many great friends in the military (I volunteered for Navy OCS, PLT or SWO route and was DQ'd for color vision), like any organization they have good eggs and bad eggs. That said, having risked ones life for this country generally buys at least the benefit of the doubt in my case. But the best soldiers, sailors, and Marines I have met share one trait- they are disciplined, they do not complain when they are dealt a bad hand, they just reorganize and get stuff done. They don't resort to this kind of pettiness on a forum. They take accountability and responsibility for their actions and move on.

Had Jason/ HyperMotive come out and said:

"We are very distressed to learn of the actions taken by our tuner, Mike Wilson, and due to conduct unbecoming of a Hypermotive employee we have since terminated his employment at Hypermotive. We apologize to AED and all customers involved." And then offered to pay Shaun a royalty for the tunes they had sold that were his, I would have thought those are some stand up guys, didn't know what was going on, should buy some parts from them.

When will ANYONE from Hyper simply take responsibility??? They screwed up. So what. Everyone and every business does once in a while. We are not perfect. It's how you handle it that counts. And the way Hyper has handled this is to demonstrate ZERO integrity, which as a consumer leaves me with ZERO desire to do business with them.

Also, if you stole my work, undercut me, and profited from it I wouldn't want to talk to you either. You should be grateful Shaun hasn't hired an attorney and hasn't come out to bash you himself. He's a better man than I am because if you stole the fruit of my mind and my labor I would be out for blood. He has every right to let this out on a forum and protect himself and his business from theives.

Honestly, I personally bet you will hear from Turn5/ AM's internal counsel Monday, so you might want to get on that. And AM has a lot more financial firepower to fuel a lawsuit, so have fun with that.

Riptide

Established Member
Question. If this phone conversation wasn't supposed to get out. Why did AED share it in the first place vs. keeping it private?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I still want to know is there any proof that Jason knew from the beginning the very beginning that Mike was stealing parts of Shaun's files to create his tunes?

Ask yourself this, if a business owner and his employees have demonstrated that they have absolutely no issue repeatedly committing acts which are tantamount theft themselves do you think said owner would have any qualms with a contractor doing the same?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yup, I'm all for second chances and maybe he is trying to be a nice guy to keep Mikes family situation in the green but still look at the shit storm this caused for him. You're right I still think he should have been canned. As I said to you before that is a major no no for me on this whole ****ed up situation.

Nope not really, I know for the rest of my engine build I will be going with JPC or Evolution for all the tuning work that I need. Well that is once I can get my car to actual run correctly and not like it is dragging a 800lb. anchor behind it lol. That being said, there is a thread about the Mike Version of the tune and it has been given a good review. I'm not certain if anyone has commented on the data log as of yet but I guess it is a start.

Either way I am almost positive I have an AED tune on my car and Shaun never saw a dime of that and it isn't right nor is it fair to him since he put in the work, time and effort to create the tune.

I still want to know is there any proof that Jason knew from the beginning the very beginning that Mike was stealing parts of Shaun's files to create his tunes?

Your 2nd statement I agree 100% with. As far as having an aed tune but it's not right.

As far as Jason knowing from the beginning, maybe Shaun has more facts. But not listing your tuners name is shady. Then the whole price change, $99 to $250... Yes it was $250 for a day. Then down to $200.

Seems like proof to me that Jason knew.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member

Thanks for this post I now am 100% sure I will never by anything from hyper ever.

steeltoe

Established Member

Ask yourself this if they weren't trying to hide why would they not say who their tooner is?

If you call Van, Lethal, Beefcake or Evo and ask who does your tuning they all say Jon Lund because they can sell his name and reputation.

Dan @ Pro Dyno, Rick @ Amazon, Adam @ Rev Auto all tune for there own shops and have some sort of a resume or brag sheet on their website that shows there abilities and/or high profile customers.

But yet hyper does none of that.......yeah because that's not shady.

Riptide

Established Member
.......yeah because that's not shady.
If this was supposed to stay private then why share the recording with anyone in the first place? This could've stayed between the parties involved - if that was really the intention. To share it and then say it wasn't supposed to get out seems rather shady too.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
If this was supposed to stay private then why share the recording with anyone in the first place? This could've stayed between the parties involved - if that was really the intention. To share it and then say it wasn't supposed to get out seems rather shady too.

AED was being undercut with his own work, and took appropriate measure to obtain proof of such, and yet you think he was shady?

steeltoe

Established Member

I don't know Shaun or have done any business with him but from what people have posted about him and stories like this where he's given someone a base file or a tune file to help them out and then they turn around sell it as there tune or he gives this guy all this information about Mike/hyper and then OP post all of it, is that Shaun is way to nice and way to trusting of people.

Shaun@AED

There is quite a bit of speculation out there, hopefully this will help clear up *some* of it.

1st, I have NOT talked to Jason ever, I have no idea what he knew about, or what he did not. He is supposed to call me today, since he is in Germany I did not call him back as my Phone plan charges ass-tons to call out of country, but incoming is free.
Here is the Extent of my conversation with Jason via Email to this point:

Call me tomorrow after 10am PST
I'm very busy at the shop today catching up on in-house tuning and will not have any free time. Sundays I keep free for family.
FYI, I will NOT record the phone call, so speak your mind man to man.

Please Note my Email address has changed to [email protected]
Shaun
AED
On 9/6/2014 5:26 AM, Hypermotive wrote:
> Shaun,
> I'd still like to chat on the issues. It seems that I'm now being called a liar and somehow I knew the whole situation outside of the CJ manifold issue (which is completely not true). The only issue I knew about was the CJ manifold. I would personally just like to talk to both parties so I can at least get some sense of closure.
>
> Let me know if you'd like to talk, if not, I understand.
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Shaun AED <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> (916)715-7569
> Please be aware I am extrememly busy today and tomorrow as I am out of state on business that can not be interupted. If I do not answer, leave a message and it may take a few days for me to get back to you.
>
> Please Note my Email address has changed to [email protected]
> Shaun
> AED
> On 9/2/2014 9:31 PM, Hypermotive wrote:
>> Hey Shaun,
>>
>> Can I get your number please? I think I may have only been told portions of a story and not everything. Would like to clarify everything and get caught up to speed on my end.
>>
>> --
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>>
>> Jason Micallef
>> Owner/ Hypermotive
>> [email protected]
>> [email protected]
>> www.hypermotive.com
>> www.facebook.com/hypermotiveperformance
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
>
>
> Jason Micallef
> Owner/ Hypermotive
> [email protected]
> [email protected]

2nd, I've been in DFW on Business since Early Tuesday, returned Late Thursday and have been working at the shop catching up with in-house tunes/customers. I've had virtually no time to deal with this situation that has popped up on the internet Drama Boards, aside from responding to a few emails here and there when I can find the time.

3rd, I recorded the phone calls for 1 reason only. To cover my ass in the event this went public. Public opinion in this matters and the best defense I could think of was to have the actual phone calls recorded. The Last thing I wanted to get into was a 'He said, She said' online argument.

4th, There is more than 1 AED based tune file out there from Mike Wilson. Here is a list of files I've sent to Mike since March, when we know he started tuning for Hypermotive. Of course I was told all of these were for in-person tunes, I can only assume based of other evidence (read below) at least some of these were used for HPM customers.
2012, 2013 Boss All-Motor files sent to Mike on 3/21
2013 Paxton Auto file: 3/21
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 A6 All-Motor files: 4/2
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 M6 All-Motor files: 4/2
2013 TVS and Whipple A6 files: 5/23
SCJ All Motor Value file: 6/4 *Note* this corresponds to this particular customer/thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1017876-Finally-got-AED-tuned-)
Prior to March I sent Mike Hellion files, Paxton M6 files, Procharger files, Manguson file, and Ecoboost files.

I have all the above Emails saved to back this up.

5th, As some have stated I mark my tune files, all of them. One way is to chage the Strategy code in the Binary. I have a list of these that correspond to specific applications. For instance, some of my all motor M6 files will show an A6 strategy code.
There are other things in my files that are very distinct, and here are 2 that stand out to the customer and were evidence my work was used in more than 1 HPM tune:
1. Fuel economy increases of 2-4MPG. These changes are very specific via TiVCT and due to the (mild) complexity of the Coyote TiVCT system copy/pasting a single table does NOT work. A tuner must know the 4 tables that are used and how they interact, plus have done the R&D to determine the cam timing that yields the best fuel economy. I can not name more than a 1/2 a dozen tuners that can do this accurately on thier own, all of which I personally trained, Mike was not one of them.
Here is a link to show when I implemented this into AED's all-motor tunes: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ices-got-you-down-AED-s-new-Eco-tune-can-help
2. Refined, 'Linear' Throttle response. This is a very tricky one actually. Most tuners use Driver demand to modify throttle response, but given the complexity of the HDFX system modifying 1 table for all 13 Ford defined valve events (in the coyote) results in smoothing some areas during certain driving conditions and accentuating problems in other areas during orther driving conditions (jerky throttle when cold for instance) as Cam timing changes. As such, my files refine the Throttle under EACH valve event, thus refining the throttle response under all driving conditions. This is particularly important for Road Race applications.
Due to the complexity of forcing each valve event and modifying each set of tables it's highly unlikely anyone has done this aside from me. Especially since SCT Live Link can not data log the parameters necessary to properly dial in these tables. I used alternate logging software and spent 9 months figuring out what to modify, then 12 hours on the chassis dyno doing the actual calibration.

When I saw posts about Fuel economy increases and Refined/smooth throttle response from HPM tuned customers, I knew what files were being used, but I did not know who was doing HPM's tuning at the time. That triggered an exhaustive investigation that included 1/2 a dozen shops/tuners around the country, all of which have an invested interest as their work is in these tune files as well. I work with some of the best in the industry and we coordinate on not only tuning, but pricing as well so as not to be in competition with each other.
We ordered Hypermotive tunes. Not all tunes that came thru were AED based, some were based on Bama tunes from what we could tell (another clue on who the HPM tuner was). To be clear we have many AED based HPM tunes, and I'm sure there are many more out there I do not know about, it's not just the SCJ file as claimed. (I let Mike slide on that in the phone convesations.)
It took us 6 weeks to accumulate the necessary evidence to callout Mike on being the HPM tuner, but I still needed HARD evidence, and that came from his confession.

6th I did NOT want all of this posted ot the public message boards. ShaunC and Nosympathy can attest to that as I specifically asked them many times via email to keep it quiet as I stand just as much to lose (if not more) as HPM and Mike does.
Fact is Many HPM tunes have my work in them, we have all the evidence to prove this.
Per the Phone conversation Mike had the tune price raised to $250, I did not ask him to no longer use my work, that was his decision. All I asked for was the price be raised so as not to undercut me with my own work.
Mike stopped using my work as of 8/6 and the posts on the internet confirm this as customers have reported drivability issues, knock sensors values changed so knock can not be logged (like Bama), etc. It is CLEAR those tunes are NOT AED based.
However, once the pricing dropped to $200 it was also clear Mike was not a man of his word. Since I have caught him in multiple lies I can not trust what he says. The price drop to $200 was just another sign of what was coming.
With the resent rash of unsatisfied HPM customers going to Me, Lund, and many other tuners it was simply a matter of time before Mike started using my tune files again. If you listen carefully to the phone call Mike told me he deleted all the emails from me. He did NOT say he delete the actual tune files, and even if he did what about the customers that are already tuned with AED files? Do you think he deleted all of those customer's files? I do NOT.

That would mean using AED's work and selling the tunes for $200, once again undercutting me with my own work. This is what I was expecting within a few weeks at most.
My goal for 'leaking' the information to ShaunC was to try and stem the tide of losing business to HPM by slowly and quietly informing those looking for HPM tunes of what was really going on. Yes, I offered a discounted rate to HPM tuned customers *IF* they kept all of this quiet and off the boards.

These are MY mistakes, and for that Mike Wilson I do appologize. Jason, I applogize for this as well. Honest and truely, I did NOT want this dirty laundry going public like this.

Riptide

Established Member
AED was being undercut with his own work, and took appropriate measure to obtain proof of such, and yet you think he was shady?
Thought I explained it well enough. If it was meant to stay private then the recording wouldn't have been shared. Seems pretty simple but if it's not I'm sure an explanation will be forthcoming.

As far as what happened with re-using the tune obviously yes that is shady. Duh.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Shaun, I do apologize for it going public. I had told a couple people via pm about it. All of a sudden. I woke up, saw a post on the coyote group on Facebook with over 100 comments, I threw in some info, not giving anything away. Then it blew up out of control.

corepwn

Established Member
This is so disheartening to read about. Shaun @ AED has done a lot for this industry. I have had the pleasure of working with Shaun during my own tuning plight and now I can see why he was so apprehensive about helping me out. hyperactive will never see a penny from me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome to American business. Once you are the proprietor of something special it's only a matter of time before someone finds a way to copy it identically.

Personally.. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Sounds to me like Shaun ought to be TRYING market his product to the larger distributors. Who do you think has more customers? AED or American Muscle or Late Model Restoration, etc etc etc.

Imagine if he sold a million tunes at $99 each to AM versus selling one hundred thousand tunes through his website at $250.

Trust me... I think its definitely a punk move on Hypermotive's part.

But maybe this will be Shaun's motivation to "think bigger." AED is easily the most highly regarded tune in the coyote community.. that seems pretty obvious. His tunes often beat live, local dyno tunes. Maybe its time he take advantage of that on a national scale?

my $.02.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread