Same tuner 3 blown engines

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I want to know what pulley you were running on the 3.6LC to make 9 psi. Mine made 15-16 psi with the 4" pulley.

Jon has tuned over 1000 cars for me in the last few years. Guess how many tune related failures we've had? ZERO!

goat-ee

Established Member
They should take away your ability to own a performance car of any type. Force you to drive a stock 1981 Chevy Chevette automatic for the next 30 years. And ban you from this forum for implying that the tune had anything to do with people running the piss out of (3) stock engines and then wondering why they broke.

Is it just me, or are there a ton of 5.0 guys with ZERO car knowledge lately? It just seems I have seen more and more guys with a lot bigger wallet than knowledge or common sense.

It's the kind of embarrassing crap that makes for great re-posts in other forums, and makes us all look like idiots.

Last edited:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
624 bhp with a 6800-7000 rpm rev limit. You're running up over 7000. RPM is a huge stress.

you are right on, I read years ago that the difference on the rods from 6k to 7k was 800% more load. I read this on kenne bells website, he said to shift at 6k to ensure the rods would survive long term. he was talking about the 03/04 cobras and they have better rods and bolts as well....suck for the op anyways..

gremlinsteve

Established Member
You can't reinvent the wheel.
Simply put. If your in the game to make power you are going to have to stick to the known steps to make power and keep it reliable.
This has been done since to first car and bikes where made. It continues today....

Good luck in your rebuild. Now you should be able to really turn up the boost and with the right help make some power. Keep in mind you will need to listen to a reliable mod motor builder and stick to the rules....we would hate to see the block lose a sleeve and such after your at the 1000rwhp mark just because you didn't sleeve that block

old_goat

Established Member
They should take away your ability to own a performance car of any type. Force you to drive a stock 1981 Chevy Chevette automatic for the next 30 years. And ban you from this forum for implying that the tune had anything to do with people running the piss out of (3) stock engines and then wondering why they broke.

Is it just me, or are there a ton of 5.0 guys with ZERO car knowledge lately? It just seems I have seen more and more guys with a lot bigger wallet than knowledge or common sense.

It's the kind of embarrassing crap that makes for great re-posts in other forums, and makes us all look like idiots.

No doubt your comments are too strong for my taste, but I fully agree with the context of your post.

...........and if I were a tuner like AED or Lund, I would refuse to tune any cars owned by the OP, if I knew who he was, but that's a big IF.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Pull the spark plugs and post pics of the cylinders that did not blow.

Stock Coyote Rods have been known to bend/break simply from too much power, but detonation will hurry things along. From what we've seen the rods will bend/break right below the wrist pins when.

Detailed inspection and tear down of the engine will tell the tail. No signs of detonation on the plugs, pistons, etc and you can rule out tuning. If there are signs of detonation, you need to further investigate to rule out things like un-even nitrous distribution, faulty wiring to the solenoids, low quality fuel, etc before coming to any conclusions on why it blew.

Failure to determine the cause is a recipe for another blown engine IMO.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Here's some food for though. A bad tune on forced induction OR nitrous on a STOCK coyote is not going to last more than 10 pulls. So if months went by and everything was fine, then blew out of nowhere, MAYBE the tunes were edgy and it was a cold night? I mean these cars have TARGET A/F and timing don't they? If they detonate, they correct. I have no + or - experiences with Lund but I believe he's tuned enough cars to know what good target values are.

If you push it on a stock block, you're taking a chance.

Everything we hear on this forum is so subjective too. One guy says he has 45k miles on his blower, but maybe he never goes over 3500rpm. I've seen so many guys be scared of their car, scared of blowing it up, and just NEVER get on it in general. Those guys will last 50k miles on a stock bottom ends, maybe 100k. People like me go a month because I'm full boost, WOT most of the time. I bought the car to enjoy it. Some just want to talk about it sitting in a folding chair at the fire dept. car show on sunday. Some want to pop the hood and show it off. I want to race, lol. Hence why my motor lasted about a month after putting a TT kit on. ;)

CPRsm

Failure to determine the cause is a recipe for another blown engine IMO.
This.
A tune can certainly kick a rod. Detonation hammers the piston, and top rod bearing by default. Rod bearing spins, overheats crank and rod. Rod exits stage left. The pistons in these engine seem to give up the ghost before they can deal enough damage to bearings. Make sure to look no matter who your tuner is. A faulty injector can start the chain reaction and have nothing to do with the tune.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Seems like us svtp members should set a new coyote "safe limit" because of the weak rods. How about 500hp instead of 600? or perhaps call it a winter detune.

I would switch to a stock pulley TVS if I still had the chance. Too late now lol

My engine had zero detonation indications, just pushed stock internals too hard

Sux man, but at least you don't have a supercharger to repair/replace along with it.

Riptide

Established Member
Screwit why stop there. Let's take it back to the 3v safe limit of 450. Then people can sleep at night again.

Gray5.0

Established Member
Yikes that's kinda ***Edited by moderator, we have a profanity filter here. Please use it.****ed up! My buddies running close to 620 on a 150 shot. You need a new tuner for sure, well after you get a new engine.

mjohns930

Established Member
Yikes that's kinda ****ed up! My buddies running close to 620 on a 150 shot. You need a new tuner for sure, well after you get a new engine.

Why does he need a new tuner? Because the vehicle owners were pushing their stuff to/past generally accepted safe limits and they blew? Because the vehicle owners didn't get their issues fixed (shifting problem on spray in the OP's case) before running them hard?

It's comments like this that give shops/builders/tuners a bad rap for no reason. Without seeing the pistons and plugs we won't 100% know if there was detonation, but with what we know right now all three engines were known to be on borrowed time given their power levels.

Once again, I have no reason to defend Lund or anyone, but trying to correlate a tune problem to blown engines when all three were past "safe" limits is just stupid.

Bud

Established Member
The suck part is, the OP wasn't completely truthful in his first post, and for those users that read the first post then gloss over the rest they will miss where the kenne bell car had been at 14psi on the dyno and on the track. It didn't just run 9psi and magically pop.

Oh well, such is life on the internet I guess. People can post whatever they want, true or not.

mjohns930

Established Member
The suck part is, the OP wasn't completely truthful in his first post, and for those users that read the first post then gloss over the rest they will miss where the kenne bell car had been at 14psi on the dyno and on the track. It didn't just run 9psi and magically pop.

Oh well, such is life on the internet I guess. People can post whatever they want, true or not.

This x a million.

Users who are viewing this thread