Same tuner 3 blown engines

Doug1227

Established Member
I agree. Perhaps it was a 2.8? Correction. Watched the video. Definitely a 3.6 and a large pulley. The dyno shows two runs. One at 9# and one at 14#'s. Not sure the difference as they appear to be the same pulley. Maybe a low rpm run or something. Either way, 14#'s through a 3.6 is definitely on borrowed time.....

How do you get 9psi out of a huge 3.6 blower on a coyote? Couldn't find a pulley combo for less than 15psi on the 3.6. Lowest I see the 2.8 go is 8psi with a 4.125 pulley.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
All cars have stock engines and make killer low end torque. No surprise here no matter what tuner it was. My car is Lund tuned on pump gas and makes 640whp and only 511wtq with the stock engine. A centrifugal blower has a lot less stress then all the combos listed above. I beat the car like it owes me money.

CW1343

Established Member
stephen-colbert-popcorn.gif

+1 ha

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
It was only put at 14psi for a short time but spent 95 percent of its time on 9 psi and it blew up at 9psi not 14

So the engine was damaged when it was pushed way beyond its limits but everything should be ok because you lowered the boost?

Bud

Established Member
It was only put at 14psi for a short time but spent 95 percent of its time on 9 psi and it blew up at 9psi not 14

Doesn't matter if it blew up at 5psi, if prior damage is done from pushing it to far it is only a matter of time. An overstressed rod from running 14psi that lives but is weakened will not hold up to lower boost like a good condition stock rod will.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
I appreciate the post. After all its what the forum is all about, sharing information. As I'm breaking my motor in and deciding which way I want to go with mods. I am considering the Roush 421388 kit because of the warranty. I've always thought it wise to not push stock components beyond a reasonable expectation. It's pay me now or pay me later, if these were aluminators we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Bud

Established Member

This response makes me question your earlier one:

My bottle pressure was at 850psi when it let go and it was tuned on 950psi

It doesn't matter what the motor was doing when it finally let go, that other 5% can be devastating and take it's eventual toll. Not sure there was really a need for a thread unless all of the info was there so it would be helpful for people to judge what level of risk they feel is comfortable on the stock motor. With all the info given it is helpful.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I'm not doubting you OP. I'm just saying 490WHP on 9#'s seems really low and obviously the 14# is pushing the car beyond the limits. Who knows, there is a reason I went with AED Shaun & Adam (Rev Auto) seem to be the most picky, most attention to detail, and tend to make the most power. If your buddies had X tune and both blew up why would you get one and or stay with it ?

pickles

Established Member
If it was a tune issue I suspect there would have been a piston failure..

Thrown rod = making too much power for stock rods

durr

Users who are viewing this thread