Same tuner 3 blown engines

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Alright guys I know this will become a very heated discussion and I'm ready for it. First off I am only stating facts and I will let everyone decided there own opinion and I would really like people to come chime in will similar experiences.

2011 Mustang GT MT
Full bolt ons
14 psi TVS
MS109 race gas
500 miles
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned

2011 Mustang GT A6
Cat back exhaust
Circle D 4c
Kenne Bell 3.6 LC (9psi when it let go) but has been subjected to 14psi on race gas
Pump Gas
1000 miles
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned

2012 Mustang GT
Full bolt ons
150 shot 10 bottles
175 shot 5 bottles
Ms109 race gas
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned
(my Car)

I am only posting these 3 because I personally know the other two and the third was mine yesterday. So 3 cars all same tune and all have 2 rods through the block. Once again only stating facts so just wanting some opinions.

Last edited:

gt347mustang

Established Member
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

nonliberal

Established Member
If this was Sesame Street and we were play the "alike game" my picks would be=
3 cars making too much power on stock engines.
2 rods through block and Lund dyno tuned.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
To be fair... it sounds like each of these cars was getting pushed rather hard. Granted, i suppose the point of a dyno tune is to know its a safe powerband / level. Carry on.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
stock motors or built? what was rwhp for each? how aggressive were the tunes a/f and timing wise...could be a lot of factors involved you may want to post the vitals to better determine how the 3 motors let go...

stang910

Established Member
Shouldn't even be a discussion IMO. These are all stock engines running alot more power then they are designed for. The reason Lund might have more blown engines then another tuner is because of the volume he does and not lack of knowledge or experience. Most of these stock engines with FI will eventually come apart if driven to the limit.

Bud

Established Member
Just some random thoughts:

2011 Mustang GT MT
Full bolt ons
14 psi TVS
MS109 race gas
500 miles
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned

Was it the user's choice to run 14psi, and knew the risks? I've crammed lots through a stock motor too, but understood these cars aren't magic, there are limits and stuff will break.

2011 Mustang GT A6
Cat back exhaust
Circle D 4c
Kenne Bell 3.6 LC 9 psi
Pump Gas
1000 miles
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned

How do you get 9psi out of a huge 3.6 blower on a coyote? Couldn't find a pulley combo for less than 15psi on the 3.6. Lowest I see the 2.8 go is 8psi with a 4.125 pulley.

2012 Mustang GT
Full bolt ons
150 shot 10 bottles
175 shot 5 bottles
Ms109 race gas
2 rods through block
Lund dyno tuned
(my Car)

Not many thoughts here, bottle pressure never over what it was tuned at? I have no idea what the limits of a stock motor are on nitrous, curious what they are on a built motor though :)

Messing with the stock motor at big fun levels you are just waiting for it to happen, best tune in the world can't overcome pushing past the limits of the hardware.

DNT H8

Established Member
The more cars Lund tunes there are bound to be some failures, they seem to be growing too fast becoming "commercialized". I also dont think they are as particular with fuel quality like say AED.
They say the Lund team only really gives major attention to "race" cars or cars with thier twin kit?

Ignotbullet

Established Member
These 3 are my personal experience I am not talking about all of his tuned cars. Also out of my 4 friends that have his tune 3 are blown up. So in fact that would be a 75% fail rate.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Yeah, I have never used Lund. However, all these cars appear to be on borrowed time with a stock long block. Unless you're doing a 9# TVS, Paxton 2200@ 9# or a 100 shot, you can't really expect much more than that not to say some aren't out there that are fine it's a ticking time bomb. I would certainly consider running e85 on these setup's detonation is very hard on these motors when you're running on the edge like these 3 setups.

This is exactly the reason I'm staying N/A though until I have a built motor I have no desire to do a power adder. Rods through the block can't be a very fun thing.

SLVRBACK

My buddy has a Lund tune. Runs full boltons and a 150 shot. His motor is fine. Has been for the past year. His transmissions on the other hand....

burke985

Established Member
The Kenne Bell is the only one that puzzles me , i could see the others shittin the bed no matter who tuned it but 490 rwhp and 9psi dont go together on a coyote even on the most stockish setup. I made 100 more rwhp than that at 9psi and only exhaust mods were O/R X and JPC Overaxels. Something is not right there

Users who are viewing this thread