Same tuner 3 blown engines

Ignotbullet

Established Member
The other two got there tunes before me and were running just fine so I decided to have him tune mine. Then a couple months later theres blew up then mine went about a month after there's.

element155

Established Member
Mine went at 13-14psi with TVS running alcohol inj and ms109 lost cylinders 1 and 2 put rods through both sides of block. I'll post some pics, it was Lund tuned. He did say I was on borrowed time

Last edited:

killr3v

Extreme Member
Established Member
When rods go through a block it points to too much rpm. Tune issues would be shown by detonation which causes damage to the pistons, generally anyway.

NTXRockr

Established Member
For those who doubt a Coyote will let go at 490whp...my car had #2 let go coming out of a burnout (so on motor = 375whp). The car dyno'd at 485whp/500tq on a lower reading dyno, but still that puts me around 500whp on a 150 shot. Rod snapped and put three holes in the block and nicked #6 in the process. It ran strong up until then and afr's and bottle pressures were spot on...what's the issue? I have an early model 2011 (Dec2010 build) and the block was an April 2010 build. I've done some research and it seems most of the coyotes that have rods let go prematurely are earlier 2012 and 2011 cars. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance, but you can see a fine line on one edge of the rod where it appears there was a hairline crack that eventually was stressed enough to cause it to snap entirely. That kind of defect would be hard to detect in the assembly process and if quality control missed it, that would explain why there's random rod failures on lower power coyotes.

I agree with the point that Lund produces so many tunes that they're bound to have a few more failures, as the same goes for mass motor builders like MMR, etc. But that's also why I now have a built shortblock and the new build should be overbuilt for longterm longevity. We all know we're on borrowed time with the stock shortblock, BUT I think there's some other underlying issue to cause these premature failures.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Maybe it's the tune, but lund has so may vehicles out there and all three of these have big power adders so it's hard to conclude it's only the tune. Too many other variables.

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Mine went at 13-14psi with TVS running alcohol inj and ms109 lost cylinders 1 and 2 put rods through both sides of block. I'll post some pics, it was Lund tuned. He did say I was on borrowed time

Zach yours was one of the cars I was talking about. This is Kyle out of Savannah, mine went yesterday.

burke985

Established Member
I think its well known that in general 13-14 psi is too much on a stock motor,over a 150 shot is too much on stock motor... i dont know what the disconnect is there and no if your pushing your limits and you well know it then good luck and its not unfortunate because you know its coming and your on borrowed time. Maybe the kenne bell car in this thread was weakened by running high boost so it was only a matter of time before it was blown up running any #of boost . You never get the whole story from either side and we all take the chance once you take the factory tune off the car. Bottom line is if your not willing to pay for a new motor then dont touch it and do not even put a tune on it because you don't need to be boosted to fry your motor

SCalla1384

Established Member
If all 3 motors died from detonation, then I could agree with OP. Since the rods went through the block, the cars were just making to much power and couldn't handle it.

Bud

Established Member
Should try to be fair/truthful and update the original post to state the Kenne Bell car saw some time at 14psi, just a suggestion so people get the full picture when they are making their decisions.

scott_0

Established Member
has to be Bama, they're the only ones that ever hurt motors right? :insert sarcasm:

mjohns930

Established Member
I can't stand it when people skew "facts" to push their agenda. Let's look at some real facts:

- All three cars pushed beyond factory power
- All three cars pushed beyond generally accepted "safe" numbers
- All three cars blew the engine
- Oh, didn't you just have a post about hitting the limiter while spraying and blowing up? Yup it was you.
- Didn't you also say you had 15 bottles @ 175hp through it in the same post? Oh yeah, you did. But now it's only 5 @ 175hp. Which is it?

I have no reason to defend any tuners or builders because my stuff is still stock, but this is just crazy. Knowingly pushing 600+hp on a 400hp engine and blame the tuner? Nice try.

Last edited:

Ignotbullet

Established Member
15 bottles total 10 150 5 175. Yes it hit the limiter but found that not to be the problem due to progressive controller having a cut off. I went back through and checked my cut of for nitrous and it was 7400 and rev is at 7800 so no nitrous in the system as I first thought when it hit rev limiter. Also this car is an auto and guess who tuned the trans so why in the first place should it even come close to the limiter while left in drive going down the track when shift points are at 7300?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I don't know what the op want to acomplish with this thread. The moral of the story is that if you push the motor beyond the limits a rod could find its way out of the block. Not sure what tune or who tunes it has anything to do with anything.

mjohns930

Established Member
15 bottles total 10 150 5 175. Yes it hit the limiter but found that not to be the problem due to progressive controller having a cut off. I went back through and checked my cut of for nitrous and it was 7400 and rev is at 7800 so no nitrous in the system as I first thought when it hit rev limiter. Also this car is an auto and guess who tuned the trans so why in the first place should it even come close to the limiter while left in drive going down the track when shift points are at 7300?

In the other thread you say you almost never get clean shifts spraying...why keep trying then? Maybe have your tuner fix the issue before you blow your shit up. Oops, too late.

You also knew you were on borrowed time, according to your other thread, but I guess it's the tuner's fault it let go sooner than you thought it should have.

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Rod threw the block isn't a tuner problem, it's a crappy rod issue...Still sucks though

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Personally, I'd be pissed if my coyote motor only made 490 on 9 psi. There at tons of guys making 450 with no boost on these motors. Seems to me something was amiss with the car from the get go.

nonliberal

Established Member
If you want to modify your car you have to accept that there are risks.
When modding (especially with a power adder) you are pushing the car beyond what it was designed to do. If Ford thought 600hp was safe they would have released it with 600HP and sold more units at a higher price.

No tuner can make your rods stronger or your pistons forged, that's up to the owner.
That said, when selecting a tuner I like to hear about past experience, track record, customer service, attention to detail, etc.

My tuner can actually be kind of a pain in the ass sometimes telling me he won't tune this and he won't do that, but I know he is doing it both for my own good and to protect his reputation so I am glad he does it that way.

Regardless of whose fault it is I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Good luck with your rebuild. I assume from your thread you will be finding a different tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread