Same tuner 3 blown engines

Turbosixx

Established Member
I know of a motor that let go and the tune was dead on. Anytime you push an engine past it's design limits you have a risk of a mechanical failure.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It sucks that your motor went, but has been said when you mod your motor you plan for shit to break. I have been lucky, I listened to Jon jr. when he told me lets keep timing on the lower side when I went E85 and added the wastegate. I have been over 600whp now for 17k miles with last 10k on E85 over 650+. My stock motor has over 35k with stock mt82 and stock clutch, I dd my car year round. If you have good fuel, safe tune and don't dog the shit out of your car all the time then it will last. Do I want a 700+ dd sure, but I will wait until I build my motor for that.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Here's some food for though. A bad tune on forced induction OR nitrous on a STOCK coyote is not going to last more than 10 pulls. So if months went by and everything was fine, then blew out of nowhere, MAYBE the tunes were edgy and it was a cold night? I mean these cars have TARGET A/F and timing don't they? If they detonate, they correct. I have no + or - experiences with Lund but I believe he's tuned enough cars to know what good target values are.

If you push it on a stock block, you're taking a chance.

Everything we hear on this forum is so subjective too. One guy says he has 45k miles on his blower, but maybe he never goes over 3500rpm. I've seen so many guys be scared of their car, scared of blowing it up, and just NEVER get on it in general. Those guys will last 50k miles on a stock bottom ends, maybe 100k. People like me go a month because I'm full boost, WOT most of the time. I bought the car to enjoy it. Some just want to talk about it sitting in a folding chair at the fire dept. car show on sunday. Some want to pop the hood and show it off. I want to race, lol. Hence why my motor lasted about a month after putting a TT kit on. ;)

Weren't you going WOT on start-up tune with your turbo set-up though??….Thought I remember reading that in your thread…..Your motor might have lasted a little longer if you waited to get the tune dialed in. :shrug:

I totally get your point though. :beer:

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
I don't know where some of you people drive but to be WOT most of the time on a DD is nearly impossible where I live.

burke985

Established Member
In Slidell you have some running room - not much. The Westbank isn't much better.

Not as much as before especially since they started with all the fremaux construction. Cops everywhere now , there's a little going both ways to MS just gotta pick your spots. Around town in slidell....good luck

burke985

Established Member
I agree 1000%. I see over 4,500 rpms only a few times a day max, if at all. I see redline only when I am feeling froggy or logging.

Im like you i just drive normal,I realize that alot of these guys track their cars but just can't grasp how they are redlining on a daily basis.

D.T.R

Established Member
Gotta admit, when I saw the thread title and already knew you were in southeast Georgia that I was expecting to see Tuners Inc in the thread somewhere... Just sayin'...

What's wrong with Tuners Inc ?

dlaude

Established Member
Alright I just read all posts up to this point and it seems like the consensus is that the engines blew from pushing the limits, not detonation. Then some say that E85 is safer because it has a lower chance of detonation. But if detonation isn't the reason for failure, how is E85 safer? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to clear my confusion.

Sorry to hear about the failures, OP. Build it, bump the boost/spray, and keep it on the hush hush, then get back to the track for grudge racing to catch everyone off guard! haha.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
any and all tuners have engines that have "their tune on it" that have went.

Lund, AED, JPC, BAMA, BBR, and the list goes on and on.

Silly thread.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
I'm sorry that you lost your engine, that's never a good feeling. As an engineer this is cut and dry. You exceeded the design parameters of a mechanical assembly and it failed. You could have done more to support the increased stress or load. For example you raised the redline by 1000 rpm and didn't even do a simple valve spring change to support the increase in rpm. As rpm goes up the force on components goes up by squares or on a logarithmic scale and small things such as oil temp, pressure, windage, piston to wall clearance, ring gap, valve float, octane become much more critical. Factor in the extra heat and force from no2 that causes piston expansion. Did you increase your cooling capacity or ability for the engine to rid itself of the extra heat generated by no2? Said in another manner I wouldn't beat my worst enemies engine the way you treated yours. The engine should have been properly set up for 8 grand and no2. Proof of the pudding here is that Ford went to a different piston/rod assembly for the Boss 302 and a higher valve spring rate, larger radiator, oil cooler to support the increase in Rpm to 7500 and a moderate power increase. I purchased a track pack car to get a head start in supporting an increase in power, Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. I don't see the tuner having a lot of liability here.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm sorry that you lost your engine, that's never a good feeling. As an engineer this is cut and dry. You exceeded the design parameters of a mechanical assembly and it failed. You could have done more to support the increased stress or load. For example you raised the redline by 1000 rpm and didn't even do a simple valve spring change to support the increase in rpm. As rpm goes up the force on components goes up by squares or on a logarithmic scale and small things such as oil temp, pressure, windage, piston to wall clearance, ring gap, valve float, octane become much more critical. Factor in the extra heat and force from no2 that causes piston expansion. Did you increase your cooling capacity or ability for the engine to rid itself of the extra heat generated by no2? Said in another manner I wouldn't beat my worst enemies engine the way you treated yours. The engine should have been properly set up for 8 grand and no2. Proof of the pudding here is that Ford went to a different piston/rod assembly for the Boss 302 and a higher valve spring rate, larger radiator, oil cooler to support the increase in Rpm to 7500 and a moderate power increase. I purchased a track pack car to get a head start in supporting an increase in power, Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. I don't see the tuner having a lot of liability here.

A valve spring change isn't quite "simple" to do on these motors...

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
A valve spring change isn't quite "simple" to do on these motors...

It's easier than picking your rods up out of the street. :)
while we're on the subject I'd love to know the current valve spring pressure on the overheated/overreved springs. Me I wouldn't raise the max rpm on my engine by 14.57% without springs that can handle the harmonics of 8000 rpm operation minimal.

Last edited:

hopony

Established Member
It's easier than picking your rods up out of the street. :)
while we're on the subject I'd love to know the current valve spring pressure on the overheated/overreved springs.

Not true it is real easy to pick up rods from the street. Getting them back in the engine is the hard part.

Users who are viewing this thread