Paxton or Vmp Tvs

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
you are right that bleeding off some air and not "compressing" is not generate as much heat.

But.... when you pulley up a centi its going to make heat lets say your spinning 45000 RPM on the blower thats a lot of rpm and its not like the blower its self has a cooling system. its going to get hot and its going to put stress on the blower. we have done little testing on the waste gate stuff but what i have seen it isnt the way i would set up my car. Id rather use a set of gears like 3.73s to help the engine get to rpm faster to make the power. I understand on the street traction is a issue but a good set of tires will help that. :beer:

but with all that being said.

a whipple 2.9 on a 2011 is a bad ass car to drive :thumbsup: not the cheapest setup but they get down :coolman:

the debate between centri and PD blowers will go on for 928293 pages. it all comes down to personal opinion and not everyone will agree. I like Both and i am lucky enough to have driven a bunch of cars with alot of different setups. Honestly it all comes down to what you want to do with the car.

carry on :coolman:

:beer:

3 oh 2

Established Member
Evo performance could learn a couple of things from the beefcake JPC and JDM its called "customer service", Evo has none!

I know I regret buying my roush kit from them :fm:. have no customer service everytime I ask a question their answer was YUP YUP wtf!!

BMR Tech

I am very curious to know why there are not more 9-second TVS cars out there?

I fully expect, come October, that our car will easily be able to get a 9-second slip with the 79mm pulley, and our car is a very basic set-up. Of course, it has a ton of BMR on it.....but it's still 3800lbs when racing.

I would imagine better fuel and timing alone would get us there.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am very curious to know why there are not more 9-second TVS cars out there?

I fully expect, come October, that our car will easily be able to get a 9-second slip with the 79mm pulley, and our car is a very basic set-up. Of course, it has a ton of BMR on it.....but it's still 3800lbs when racing.

I would imagine better fuel and timing alone would get us there.

Rebecca put hers in the upper 8's a couple years ago, with her in the car, they weighed in about 200lbs or so less than the average car.

Honestly, I thought we would have seen more by now. I think I have seen 3 tvs cars in the 9's over the last 3 years.

Hell, were getting close to a new model car.... These will be old news, lol

BMR Tech

Yeah, it seems weird to me. I know it can be done. We went 10.50 on the 82mm pulley with only 14 degrees of timing.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, it seems weird to me. I know it can be done. We went 10.50 on the 82mm pulley with only 14 degrees of timing.

I think it's just the efficiency.

the Paxton starts out with a 3.8, and can go down to a 2.75 before you are putting it on kill.

I think that's where the biggest difference comes from

the 3.8 is a beast, lol

hell, Louis car we did last week make 721 with a 3.33 pulley. 15.5 degrees of timing, and a 9 to 1 engine. Lot more pulley to go

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Beef nailed it IMO.
It's all about the efficiency of the blower vs the intended use.
Read the compressor maps and you would see this.
TVS is a great low boost blower but IMO a larger unit designed to be efficient at higher Bar & airflow would be easier to go 9's and faster.

Conversely throwing a large blower and expecting it to work great at low boost/airflow would result in disappointment compared to a smaller blower that is more efficient at low bar/airflow.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I completely understand that, but I was more getting at the fact that we bracket race our 3800lb car, which is automatically a solid 1-2 tenths slower due to how deep we stage, and the car has gone 10.4's with very little effort, and that was on the brakes. I would think that being the case, low10-high9 TVS cars would be everywhere.

I would have a hard time believing that boost for boost, and mod for mod, that the Paxton would run-away from the TVS car on anything under 11-13 psi?

I completely agree on the higher power scale.

Beef, you said high "8" when I think you meant "9" when you mentioned Rebeccas car, just so you know. ;)

BMR Tech

Just want to lay this out there, we love our TVS; but I am in no way saying one is better than the other.

I am just curious as to why there are not more 9-second TVS cars running around.

We are going to get our 9-second slip this year, it will be interesting to see what it takes to get there, from where we are now. We just threw some billet gears, and a nice damper on the car a few weeks ago, may the connecting rod-gods be with us!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I completely understand that, but I was more getting at the fact that we bracket race our 3800lb car, which is automatically a solid 1-2 tenths slower due to how deep we stage, and the car has gone 10.4's with very little effort, and that was on the brakes. I would think that being the case, low10-high9 TVS cars would be everywhere.

I would have a hard time believing that boost for boost, and mod for mod, that the Paxton would run-away from the TVS car on anything under 11-13 psi?

I completely agree on the higher power scale.

Beef, you said high "8" when I think you meant "9" when you mentioned Rebeccas car, just so you know. ;)

boost for boost can make a difference. 160* vs 130* iat could easily mean 2 or 3 tenths in the 1/4

BMR Tech

Agree 100%.

Our IATs are never 160*

Heck, my '04 Cobra with 22 psi doesn't even see 160*....lol (it has a TVS too!)

I am trying to convince the boss-man to convert our car to E85.....

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Because most people with intentions on pushing their car that far usually skip 2.3 tvs and go 2.9 or bigger.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
I will most likely be going the paxton route because of less stress at low rpm. Trying to get the most out of the stock motor mileage wise. But I could still be swayed.

notchy444

Established Member
I will most likely be going the paxton route because of less stress at low rpm. Trying to get the most out of the stock motor mileage wise. But I could still be swayed.

I have to agree with you. Im at 15k miles and want at least 15k more till i build the bottom end. Just got my Paxton kit (Beef cake special) in the mail a few days ago. Ill post a full install and review soon. Iv been in plenty of PD cars and cant wait to try a centri out!

RC-5.0

Established Member

There are plenty of guys running TVS with stock bottom end for quite awhile now with no issues.

There are dozens of reasons to choose a Paxton over a TVS or a TVS over the Paxton, but IMO, I don't think that's one of them.
RC

mhyjek

Established Member
There are plenty of guys running TVS with stock bottom end for quite awhile now with no issues.

There are dozens of reasons to choose a Paxton over a TVS or a TVS over the Paxton, but IMO, I don't think that's one of them.
RC

Might want to look at this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/951286-bent-another-connecting-rod.html
This what beef was referring too about how TVS and low end torque puts more stress on the bottom end. Not trying to talk you out if a TVS just looking at all the pros and cons. Ill trade the low end grunt for saftey and all the people that say its factory choice they are correct but the factory also beefs up the bottom end when they go this route.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Might want to look at this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/951286-bent-another-connecting-rod.html
This what beef was referring too about how TVS and low end torque puts more stress on the bottom end. Not trying to talk you out if a TVS just looking at all the pros and cons. Ill trade the low end grunt for saftey and all the people that say its factory choice they are correct but the factory also beefs up the bottom end when they go this route.

peak torque is typically where you are going to hurt an engine at, it's not always at redline like most people think

you hear people say it, even in this thread "lugging" their engines

that is not a good thing, like I said before, that is why an auto downshift based on how much throttle you give it, give it 25%, downshifts one gear, give it wot and it downshifts a couple

Users who are viewing this thread