Paxton or Vmp Tvs

NickSezz

Established Member
Your right about what your thinking. I have a 3.6" pulley and at 7000 rpm I'm only on seeing 10psi. For that car to see 12psi at 7000rpm it should be well above 500rwtq and alot closer to 700 rwhp. Also the tq curve on that Paxton car is pretty weak.

This whole thread comparing peak boost to peak boost is alot of BS between these 2 superchargers. The only benefit in that is to compare peak numbers. Everybody knows the PD blower is going to make more TQ when the peak boosts are the same. Lets do a comparison between these 2 superchargers when boost (say 5psi) is the same at 5000rpm. I promise the Paxton car will make more tq and more hp and will wax a TVS car. The reason I picked 5000rpm is because peak tq is what will most likely destroy your engine. It's always going to be an unfair/uneven comparison in some way because they are different superchargers.

This is true. But a lot of people are posting their peak numbers in their sig. My comparison was done between two cars that have very similar peak HP results in order to accurately show how each got to that number. The TVS makes more power while it is climbing than the Vortech to the same point. If you want to spin the centri harder it will make more peak HP. To be fair I would have to spin the TVS faster as well and match the peak power numbers again. The TVS will still make more power as it climbs.

This is the reason why we have 800-900whp Cobra Jets with the 2.3 TVS running mid 8 seconds while a Paxton is over 1,000whp to run a similar time.

The boost lines on my comparison also cross at peak power. This is hard to show on the graph since the TVS boost curve has many peaks and valleys due to the TIVCT.

We could not spin the Vortech car any faster since she was starting the max the fuel pumps. Keep in mind this is on an HD dyno jet also. It has 4000lb rollers instead of the 3000lb rollers on most since we also tune the heavier Ford Raptors. Ours will obviously read slightly lower due to this. I bet the numbers for both of these cars would be 20 whp higher on a different machine.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is true. But a lot of people are posting their peak numbers in their sig. My comparison was done between two cars that have very similar peak HP results in order to accurately show how each got to that number. The TVS makes more power while it is climbing than the Vortech to the same point. If you want to spin the centri harder it will make more peak HP. To be fair I would have to spin the TVS faster as well and match the peak power numbers again. The TVS will still make more power as it climbs.

This is the reason why we have 800-900whp Cobra Jets with the 2.3 TVS running mid 8 seconds while a Paxton is over 1,000whp to run a similar time.

The boost lines on my comparison also cross at peak power. This is hard to show on the graph since the TVS boost curve has many peaks and valleys due to the TIVCT.

We could not spin the Vortech car any faster since she was starting the max the fuel pumps. Keep in mind this is on an HD dyno jet also. It has 4000lb rollers instead of the 3000lb rollers on most since we also tune the heavier Ford Raptors. Ours will obviously read slightly lower due to this. I bet the numbers for both of these cars would be 20 whp higher on a different machine.

that might have something to do with weight as well.

to compare a Paxton car at 3850lbs to a 3200lb cobra jet is a little misleading

NickSezz

Established Member
that might have something to do with weight as well.

to compare a Paxton car at 3850lbs to a 3200lb cobra jet is a little misleading

The lightest cars in the field are about 3400lbs.

The cars I am speaking of are roughly 3600lbs with roughly 800whp.

I really can't be too specific bout the Cobra Jets we build for reason that I am sure you understand.

nonliberal

Established Member
Great read, but now my head hurts. I plan to buy a power adder in the next week or two, but it's so hard to make a decision between these two that nitrous is starting to look pretty attractive. :??:

cmsnake

Established Member
50-160 My car on 93 vs vortech car with cat deletes, boss IM, exhaust, and CAI. The mighty centri that was supposed to pull me up top got held off.
[youtube_browser]QBLLN6hVxY8[/youtube_browser]

Here is some recent data for you all...

These are two street trim cars similar to the way most of you are running.

Blue Line:
Roush TVS car M6 w/ 3.31s, 80mm pulley, 47lb injectors, JLT 123, LTHs no cats

Red Line:
Vortech M6 w/ 3.31s, stock pulley, Boss Intake, 47lb injectors, JLT, LTHs w/ Kooks Green Cats

Not completely identical set-ups but close enough for a good comparison. The bump at the end of the Vortech run is Jim pushing in the clutch before he ended the run-file on the dyno. Both made 12psi peak boost. These are SAE numbers.

See the massive torque gains the TVS has over the Vortech throughout the power curve. At 4k RPMs its nearly a 100WTQ difference. They only meet at the very end of the run...On this race, my money is on the TVS.

Roush_vs_Vortech_paxton.jpg
Based on this video, this graph, and what Ive been told....the TVS simply outperforms the centri on the typical street application (8-12psi). Low end torque ftw. And all you guys wanting to spin to 7500rpm with your boss intakes on stock internals on your centri's are doing just as much harm to the internals as the low end punch on the tvs. Its a week argument. For what I want to accomplish (weekend cruiser, occasional track/roll race at safe boost) the TVS fits the bill. Sure its a few grand more, but to make the centri perform like the tvs, it will probably cost around that (LT's, stall, gear etc). The reason there are so many paxton defenders is simply because there are more out there thanks to the price point. The picture is getting clearer.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
This just in Beefcake Racing in partner with JDM Engineering are now offering the summer's best price on super charger exchange installs. If you currently have a tvs and want a Paxton/Vortech set up, the beef can help you out at a great price. If you are a current Paxton /Vortech owner looking for a TVS set up JDM engineering has got you covered! Act quickly this sale will end soon!......lol

NickSezz

Established Member
This just in Beefcake Racing in partner with JDM Engineering are now offering the summer's best price on super charger exchange installs. If you currently have a tvs and want a Paxton/Vortech set up, the beef can help you out at a great price. If you are a current Paxton /Vortech owner looking for a TVS set up JDM engineering has got you covered! Act quickly this sale will end soon!......lol

Haha pulling the ol' switcheroo

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Based on this video, this graph, and what Ive been told....the TVS simply outperforms the centri on the typical street application (8-12psi). Low end torque ftw. And all you guys wanting to spin to 7500rpm with your boss intakes on stock internals on your centri's are doing just as much harm to the internals as the low end punch on the tvs. Its a week argument. For what I want to accomplish (weekend cruiser, occasional track/roll race at safe boost) the TVS fits the bill. Sure its a few grand more, but to make the centri perform like the tvs, it will probably cost around that (LT's, stall, gear etc). The reason there are so many paxton defenders is simply because there are more out there thanks to the price point. The picture is getting clearer.

The tvs isn't $2000 faster its more like $400 faster, in fact in most cases all being the same its the driver that could be the difference in the win! Remember anything can happen in a race and often those intangables can decide the outcome!

jasonc32amg

Established Member
There's no bad choice. I've had both PD and centri's on past cars and have never been disappointed in either.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The tvs isn't $2000 faster its more like $400 faster, in fact in most cases all being the same its the driver that could be the difference in the win! Remember anything can happen in a race and often those intangables can decide the outcome!

I will be a drivers race in almost every case at stock boost level

also from a roll race, what gear / speed you are starting the race at will be a factor as well

Coonsnake

Established Member
Beefcake, what was your best time from this past weekend at Joliet? Your and Elisa's car was close to et. Maybe we can give a decent comparison since we have similar mods.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I will be a drivers race in almost every case at stock boost level

also from a roll race, what gear / speed you are starting the race at will be a factor as well

In the case of my race Milgt and I are on the exact same tire, 93 octane and started in 3rd (his request).

460cidpower

Established Member
So got my Paxton kit in and it's looks great haven't installed it but for some reason I'm second guessing my purchase and was wanting to hear what youlls guys thought about these two kits since I love how the roots type blowers look. Sorry if this question has been asked before let me kno

So far, I love my Paxton! :banana: I used to get 23.5 MPG before the blower and with the Paxton I get the same.

I wanna keep my engine around for awhile, not to mention my trans and clutch. :rockon:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Beefcake, what was your best time from this past weekend at Joliet? Your and Elisa's car was close to et. Maybe we can give a decent comparison since we have similar mods.

never really ran for an "e.t." per say. Went 11.0, dialed an 11.18 deep. went 11.16 deep with not much cooldown in the superbowl race.

in the heat, shallow, 10.9's would be the norm with the 3.8" pulley.

I have the JT trim blower, which is standard with a 3.47", it's really designed for more boost.

at stock (3.8") pulley for a Paxton I think they are close, I think it's a drivers race.

So far, I love my Paxton! :banana: I used to get 23.5 MPG before the blower and with the Paxton I get the same.

I wanna keep my engine around for awhile, not to mention my trans and clutch. :rockon:

we got 24.3 to Chicago and back in the auto.

Coonsnake

Established Member
We went a best of 10.80 shallow with 10.5 psi. How much boost did you make and what other mods did you have?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We went a best of 10.80 shallow with 10.5 psi. How much boost did you make and what other mods did you have?

9psi, circle d, headers

The 3.6 would probably put us at / close to the same boost

I think the car would have been 10.6 to 10.7 on that pulley, shallow in the heat

Coonsnake

Established Member
72mm, the lower compression aluminator is showing 2-3 psi less boost than the stock engine. We are still on stock exhaust and stock suspension. We would be around that boost level with headers maybe 20-30 more hp then.

Coonsnake

Established Member
to everyone else wondering why the times seem slow was because the DA was over 3500, that's a good 3 tenths slower compared to cool fall air

Famine

Established Member
I have to bring this back from the dead and say it was a good read. I sometimes hear people state with the paxton that the driveability sucks, while others dont. I'm wondering how bad it can be exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread