whats everyone going to do over the winter? mods? projects?

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Yeah, I checked with MMR and they are the Walbro's. I think it should be pretty sweet. Plus, I love the way their sumped tank looks from the rear of the car - you can see the outlet lines coming off the bottom of the sump. It looks pretty mean.
I can't wait to get this next evolution going. Too bad I have to get this house closed, or I would be ordering parts right now!
What year is your Leen?

C Weil

Established Member
Haha, my fuel system looks like that, too, only I have a beefy Barry Grant pump.

Mine is also a 2001. It's zinc yellow, though, and has a bit different mods. I also have a 98' Cobra that I haven't posted up about yet that is pretty cool.

Changing houses is horrible- I feel for you. I hope it goes well! Hopefully the new digs will have a killer garage, though! :)

Last edited:

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Yeah, first thing I looked at was the garage space! Ha ha!
This is my first house. Hopefully I won't have to change for a little while. Getting through all the paperwork and realitors is the worst. I will just be glad when everything is done and over with.
Your car sounds tight! Did you end up fabricating the turbo kit yourself? What size turbos did you end up using?

C Weil

Established Member
Nah, although I wish I had gone that route, as it would've been done by now. I'm first in line for the Induction Concepts kit. It's been a long wait, but it'll be worth it.

Honestly, after having my 98' Cobra, I wish I had done the thing I wanted to do initially- build a N/A all-aluminum big bore 5.4L. At the time, getting the parts was very difficult and expensive, though I had access to them (World Products block, '00 Cobra R heads, '00 Cobra R intake). I ended up not doing it because it would've been so expensive. Now, that stuff is easy, with the Ford GT block/heads. It actually would've been cheaper in the end, (less than the turbo kit!!!) though less power, which would've been fine. My concern now is that the turbo kit will be so heavy that the handling will be horrible. We'll find out, I guess. Hindsight...

I can always build the 5.4L for the '98 in a couple years.

The turbos are two dual ball-bearing Innovative 60-1s. Hopefully I'll have the stuff by December.

C Weil

Established Member
Here's the other project- 1998 Cobra.

I'll give the whole mod list if people want it, but basically:

5.0L big bore DOHC, B-heads, short runner intake, FR500 cams/valvetrain, 11:1 compression. 360rwhp, 320lb-ft, though it'll be a little bit less after I remove the underdrive pulleys (blah!). Redline is about 7500-7800rpm, though I'll probably keep it at/under the former.

Full MM tubular front suspension/coilovers, rear IRS with coilovers and delrin bushings, Torsen T2 diff, raxle halfshafts, stoptech front brakes, KB rollbar, Recaro SRD/Speeds, T56, etc etc.

Project in the next couple days is to rebuilt the T56 (fourth gear shot), toss the Steeda shifter for an MGW or Pro-5.0, and replace the underdrive crank/water pump pulleys for an ATI damper and standard water pump pulley.

Then, take it up to Sears Point! I can't wait to see what it's like at PR.

C Weil

Established Member
By the way, pictures courtesy of the previous owner- he's a really cool guy. I'll go take some this weekend.

Thanks for the tip on Imageshack!

C Weil

Established Member
I did today! There are some REALLY nice, tight driving roads with speed limits around 50 here, better than anything I've ever found in Washington. Spent about 3 hours around there today, had a blast. Car drives fantastically, though the IRS is definitely different than the TA/PHB 3-link I'm used to.

But, the transmission got jammed in third gear, so that ended that jaunt. I'm waiting for the taxi to come pick me up to take me back to the car so it can get towed. Guess I shouldn't have pushed it that hard knowing the tranny was getting towards its last legs.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
That thing is sweet CW.
About the handling thing, My car ended up weighing 3600lbs (even) with me and a full tank of gas. The handling is worse, but I also have my camber set up pretty conservatively (so it might have a lot to do with the different feel of the car). I am not sure how much weight I added or subtracted when I made the switch (SC to Turbo) - I should have weighed it beforehand. I will say this though, I am definitely considering a Teskid block to drop a little weight off the front end.

C Weil

Established Member
Thanks! Should be better once the harness and MGW shifter arrive, and after I rebuild the tranny and put a new clutch in it. Haven't decided which yet. I definitely toasted the old one trying to drive the car around in 3rd gear!!

Sounds like you probably gained a fair bit- my Saleen was 3430lbs with me in it last time I had it corner weighed. Granted, thats with a full suspension, but the weight removed in the front you also had removed, and the rear suspension actually adds weight. There's probably some other differences too (driver weight, other mods) because I know you didn't add 170lbs, but probably 40-50 wouldn't be all that shocking.

Teksid block is a good idea. ;)

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
C Weil
don't get me started about centerforce dual friction clutch...:lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: nice cobra mang :pepper:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Will What are you doing?

And chuck Whats goin on with you?

My 5.0 FINALLY Went into the shop today for repairs.

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
hey Greg are u still thinkin about hookin up some spray on ur mystic?
Greg
had to do that to confuse others...

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
No thinkin. Will do! Just need a few more mods and I'll be ready for the spray. In the market for a 5.0 again. Lost my chance to buy back my old one. Wish I still had it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread