whats everyone going to do over the winter? mods? projects?

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Talked to Jim at VT and I have my engine lined up:
New Iron block, forged Cobra crank, forged Manley rods, Diamond forged pistons, file fit rings, ARP main and head studs, HV oil pump and pickup, fully ported Stage 2 CNC heads, Ferrea stainless valves, Comp valve springs, VT Custom billet Turbo cams, new timing components (chains,guides,tensioners,etc) new valve covers, new oil pan and new timing cover. All completely assembled from valve covers to oil pan...just drop it in the car. Forged bottom end is good for 700hp and 7500rpm.
Well, my house finishes (build and closed) in March. I throwing the engine on the credit card right after that. VT says it is about an 8 week lead time from there. I just hope I don't die waiting for spring to come around....

C Weil

Established Member
Exactly how I would have it set up- sounds like a good plan! You should spring for a canton road race pan and have 1/2" NPT bungs welded in for the turbo's oil returns. THAT would be bitchin.

What you should really hope for is that the ENGINE doesn't die before spring rolls around! :)

Geez, two turbo Saleens will be running around come summer, that's pretty cool. Of course, let's hope your car doesn't become like mine- a parked money pit. :D

Joe5.0

Established Member
01Saleen said:
Talked to Jim at VT and I have my engine lined up:
New Iron block, forged Cobra crank, forged Manley rods, Diamond forged pistons, file fit rings, ARP main and head studs, HV oil pump and pickup, fully ported Stage 2 CNC heads, Ferrea stainless valves, Comp valve springs, VT Custom billet Turbo cams, new timing components (chains,guides,tensioners,etc) new valve covers, new oil pan and new timing cover. All completely assembled from valve covers to oil pan...just drop it in the car. Forged bottom end is good for 700hp and 7500rpm.
Well, my house finishes (build and closed) in March. I throwing the engine on the credit card right after that. VT says it is about an 8 week lead time from there. I just hope I don't die waiting for spring to come around....

:rockon: :bowdown:

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Yeah, I was just looking at that Canton oil pan last week. I will probably do that.
CW- You think it would be worth upgrading to the cobra billet gear oil pump?

My car already is a parked money pit! Ha ha! It is fun though.

C Weil

Established Member
Yeah, the pan would be a great idea, and you have the bungs welded in- a much safer, stronger option for the oil returns. I know a guy locally who does fantastic work for cheap on that if you don't want to do it, or I bet the guys at VT could, as well.

I would definitely recommend billet oil pump gears and the better pump, especially since you'll have a cobra crank. I don't really recommend them with the cast cranks, as between that and the GT balancer it will frag any billet pump gears.

Speaking of which, the one thing I would HIGHLY advise is a good harmonic dampner- the ATI unit being the one I would recommend over anything. That would be something I would add immediately to your engine build- I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I won't build one for someone if they don't use an upgraded dampner. They make a huge difference, imo, in smoothness and longevity. They're a bit pricey- the ATI Superdampners are about $450, but well worth it.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Will do (billet gears & Damper).
Let me know if you can think of anything else.....
I would appreciate it.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I was trying to get my old 93 5.0 back as a 2nd project but it was sold this week before I really took a shot at getting it. Wish I never sold it. :( :mj:

Joe5.0

Established Member
My new mod is to get the damn car in the shop and fixed. $3,688 in damage. It goesin to the shop on monday.

C Weil

Established Member
That's not too bad, dude. My brother hit the hind leg of a deer in my SVO right on the passenger side headlight- looks like nothing, but 3 places quoted over $4000 in damage. Totalled by a deer's leg. The day before the insurance kicked in. Oops.

Don't worry, you'll be on the road again soon enough.

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
^^wow thats really high and thats just for the bash like in the pics nuthin else?
Greg

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
^^ im jus saying cuz the bimmer when it got rear ended it was 3G's and it looked worse than what happened to jpey's car.i havent been in a wreck yet,knock on wood, so im not sure what estimating cost usually go for but that sounded high to me.
Greg

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
just got wheels :)
17x8. gonna go with 245/45/17s
used the stockers for winter

installed HKS SSQV BOV
i was running rich without this bov, and since this is 100% atmosphere, i'm runnin richer whenever i shift...
btw, there's no way that boost will leak with this bov :thumbsup:

oh yeh, and my car shoots FLAMES!!!!

Last edited:

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
Ok, I guess I am going return style now. Am I going to have to get different electronics for that? or will the SCT X2 work?
I am laying down all the parts for order this summer and it looks like it is going to be just under 12K more into my car. Why do I keep doing this!?!?!? Ha ha!

C Weil

Established Member
Haha, $12K is only the beginning. You still haven't tackled the suspension, brakes, tires, etc etc...

Muwahahaha!!!

I don't know if the X2 can do it or not (never used one for that), but all you have to do to run a return style system is to turn off the fuel pressure/metering control (not injector control) in the computer, and get a boost-reference capable fuel pressure regulator so you can adjust it that way. Then, you're set. A chip would work fine, as well. What pump are you going to be using? Some people use cobra pumps for the return style, but it's definitely not optimal.

01Saleen

O-town Leen
Established Member
I was basically thinking about getting MMR's kit. Looks like it comes with everything you need. It has two 255l pumps. Walbro's maybe??? I haven't asked them yet. The kit comes with Aeromotive Universal EFI regulator. So I guess I just will have to turn off the fuel pres/meter cntrl - like you said.
I am assuming the lines are Teflon coated (they say no gas sweating with their lines) so that would be good - no gas stink in the garage.
I probably won't do much with the brakes (already have the 13" Brembos and steel braided lines from Saleen). Front suspension is already done (QA1 stuff - yes, it is really noisy, and I am not a big fan - I am also having some additional support braces welded on).
I try not to think of the rear suspension for now or anything else. That is how I talk myself into the next big project - I say, "After this, it will be done" -YEAH RIGHT! Ha ha!

C Weil

Established Member
Ah, ok, MMR makes a good kit I've heard. They use the blue high pressure lines, I believe, which are the same that Aeromotive uses. They're really nice, and you don't get that gas smell you often do with braided. The dual-255 Walbro's were what I was going to suggest to you- they'll flow plenty, be reliable, and they're nice and quiet. That'll be a nice setup.

Yeah, your brakes are good then. I didn't have the Brembo/Alcon's, so I had to switch them myself. I'm actually in the process of designing mounts to put on some, uh...larger brakes. :D

You'll get used to the noise and harshness pretty quickly. I don't even notice it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread