What cooling mod is the best??

AaronK

Established Member
I have the Chicago mod in my trunk,., waiting for clutch to fail to put it in,., I like things hidden :-D

lol, hope the motor doesn't go before the clutch ;-) jk man. I completely understand not wanting to pull the transmission more than once.

VSack

Established Member
I've been on the fence about this one.

To be fair, the physics of the head cooling mod makes sense on paper. The GEN2 mod makes it almost a no-brainer if you have the extra cash because you don't need to pull the tranny or the SC to install it.

That being said, I have to agree with the consensus that if this mod were necessary, Ford would have implemented it. Do the S197s have something similar from the factory?

All the information about this mod seems to center around that head having heat issues and the assumption that the coolant just "pools" there. Has there ever really been any analysis done of a temperature differential at load caused by a lack of coolant flow? How would this even be tested?

IMO, The best cooling mods are to mod your car correctly instead of just slapping the cheapest parts available on your car to try and maximize power.

When you mod, make sure you have any supporting mods already in place and ready to go before you go for power. Make sure you use a tune you trust and have it redone each time you do anything that can modify your air/fuel ratio. Make sure you have the right tools to monitor your cars vitals after any mod to ensure temps are within tolerable limits and your A/F is not running lean. Finally, make sure the driver knows the car and not to go WOT in 5th and 6th if the engine has already been stressed.

Any head cooling mod does not give you a license to be stupid. It may give you peace of mind but as far as any definitive answer is concerned, there doesn't seem to be one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What makes you think you even need one? A properly tuned car even with early heads is fine. Unless you are wanting 5th and 6 gear pulls. Witch the head mod cannot guarantee anyway.

I assume you're referring to the head cooling mod. If so, you need to know that the head cooling mods are designed to improve coolant flow within the head that can result in the "tick issue" developing. Read this and you'll see that a properly tuned car with the factory (or any head earlier than 01/2005) won't prevent the tick issue. So the head cooling mods do work. As does the 01/2005 heads. It was concerns over the tick issue that brought about the head cooling mods. Tick Issue

That said, only a very small number of Terminators have ever developed the tick issue.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I have the LDC head cooling mod and I noticed a big difference after I did this. Before it, I only had the larger heat exchanger which I think is the first cooling mod to do. After I installed the LDC cooling mod, when I did my clutch, the car literally took another 3 minutes to get up to operating temperature while just cruising. It really keeps the fluid moving around and it does take longer to warm up.

I think Ford didn't adopt this because taking so long to warm up is not an option for some people. Luckily for me down in NC that is not a problem, I just gave myself an extra couple minutes each morning to let it warm up or just take it easy for longer while it warms up.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
awesome guys, im getting a bunch of needed info to help me decide to do this!! The cooling mod seem to be legit and for the money its not a bad investment

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm installing a kb and not planning on putting one on as of now. When I put a clutch in. I'll probably do one then but right now my funds are almost nonexistant. Lol

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have the LDC head cooling mod and I noticed a big difference after I did this. Before it, I only had the larger heat exchanger which I think is the first cooling mod to do. After I installed the LDC cooling mod, when I did my clutch, the car literally took another 3 minutes to get up to operating temperature while just cruising.

You sure about that? After I installed the LDC head cooling mod I noticed absolutely no difference in warm up time. I've had my car since brand new and only just installed that mod last year and cannot tell any difference in warm up time.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have the Chicago mod in my trunk,., waiting for clutch to fail to put it in,., I like things hidden :-D

Man I sure hope yours is better quality than my first one. My LDC didn't fit at all. The EGR tube would hit it no matter what. The pipe was welded in at a bad angle. I struggled with it forever, tried grinding down the excess weld beads etc. but could not get it in. Finally I realized I had a bad piece, sent it back and they swapped it out and the replacement fitted.

JymBart

Established Member
LDC for me!!!!!!

I have the LDC cooling mod, .. no issues, no problems. Quality parts, good fit.

JymBart

03snakeminated

Established Member
I ran the snot out of my car including highway pulls (not back to back) without a cooling mod for 5 years without a problem. I finally installed the LDC unit last year but only because the tranny was out for a broken retainer. My opinion is that its not needed but a little insurance is never a bad thing.
where your highway pulls while racing 5th n 6th gear? top speed you've been in the cobra ?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
where your highway pulls while racing 5th n 6th gear? top speed you've been in the cobra ?

Yup 5th gear till 160. No clue why anyone would use 6th cause 5th pulls all the way till 160. I did this many many times over the years planing with friends etc. Never had a problem.

Last year in November however (WITH the LDC cooling mod in place) I did back to back to back highway runs. 0 to 160 and back to 0 over and over about ahhh 6 to 10 times with people in the car and piston # 4 expanded beyond the piston to wall clearance and scuffed the sides of the piston and caused the engine to have a ticking noise.

03snakeminated

Established Member
Yup 5th gear till 160. No clue why anyone would use 6th cause 5th pulls all the way till 160. I did this many many times over the years planing with friends etc. Never had a problem.

Last year in November however (WITH the LDC cooling mod in place) I did back to back to back highway runs. 0 to 160 and back to 0 over and over about ahhh 6 to 10 times with people in the car and piston # 4 expanded beyond the piston to wall clearance and scuffed the sides of the piston and caused the engine to have a ticking noise.
i feel ya, but in a roll race from lets say, 50-160 it shouldn't be so dramatical as long as i don't do it back to back, huh?:shrug:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
i'm not planing on anything higher than 140 but its always good to know since nowadays everyone and their mothers wants rolling starts

i feel ya, but in a roll race from lets say, 50-160 it shouldn't be so dramatical as long as i don't do it back to back, huh?:shrug:

Well I don't want to be responsible for anyone's blown engine so I won't say it's OK. All I can tell you is my own personal experience. Yes in my experience one off races to 160 are fine. It does get things very hot though and back to back runs is just asking for trouble on a stock short block. It's interesting that my piston #4 was the one that got damaged when everyone says cylinders 7 & 8 are the first to over heat.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
There really is no data on if they work common sense would say that giving the coolant an exit will increase cooling but who knows. I got mine for 60 bucks because I test fitted the first ones evenflow made and did a write up. For 60 bucks it was a no brainer. The thing I find funny is how many people spend at least 300.00 for a heat exchanger that also has no data if it lowers iat's. At least with the head cooling mod you know the coolant is getting out like on the passenger side head. Also why is there one on the passenger side head and why do all the head ticks come from the 7,8 cylinders. Also take into consideration that manufactures only put things on a car they think they have to. However these cars where designed in 18 months and IMO were rushed to the market for 03. Since Colletti was so unhappy about the 02 models they rushed these for the 03 year and could have been better if more time was taken.

TRBO VNM

I haven't had any leak either. IMO, if they leak, it was installer error. I have installed them all as well.

I haven't seen data showing they work or they don't. but common sense tells you that increasing circulation and getting the hot coolant out of the rear of the driver head is a good thing.

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
I haven't had any leak either. IMO, if they leak, it was installer error. I have installed them all as well.

I haven't seen data showing they work or they don't. but common sense tells you that increasing circulation and getting the hot coolant out of the rear of the driver head is a good thing.

My thoughts excatly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread