What cooling mod is the best??

Jroc

Established Member
The best cooling mods are January 05 heads, and some good pistons with better clearances, and piston ring positions.

I don't and wouldn't run a head cooling mod on my car.

JMO

Jroc

Established Member
Why not? Curious???

Because I feel they are a gimick. I agree the theory behind them sounds good, but both owners of the performance shop and tune shop I use own two of the baddest Eaton Terminators I know of, and both tell me they are a waste, and neither runs them. Both have also seen people melt pistons and develop ticking issues with them. Both tell me that they would be more than happy to take my money and install one for me if I really wanted one though.

HCM's aren't going to just save your motor during a 5th or 6th gear pull. The motors still going to create alot of heat, and the same hot coolant is going to keep flowing into the head. Ford could of easily had added this mod, but they chose not to. Why? :??:

Your thread has given me a idea for a thread. I'm about to start one asking all the owns who have blown a motor do to heat issues if they were running head cooling mods or not.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
car has one

Our hoods flow only a small amount air and are not heat extractors. Below is a stock hood that i made into a heat extractor hood. Temps on track are about 10-15 degrees cooler then other cobra's that have all the cooling mods.
primeredhood004medium3cz2.jpg

I have data logged in the summertime and found out that as engine temps rise so do ait2's, temp lowers and ait2's also go down. I wish i would've done the hood mod before i spent all that money on a bigger radiator, h/e, head cooling mod, boxed in radiator. The cooling mods helped to stay out on track a little longer but none of them actually lowered the engine temps except for the modded hood.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
There really is no data on if they work common sense would say that giving the coolant an exit will increase cooling but who knows. I got mine for 60 bucks because I test fitted the first ones evenflow made and did a write up. For 60 bucks it was a no brainer. The thing I find funny is how many people spend at least 300.00 for a heat exchanger that also has no data if it lowers iat's. At least with the head cooling mod you know the coolant is getting out like on the passenger side head. Also why is there one on the passenger side head and why do all the head ticks come from the 7,8 cylinders. Also take into consideration that manufactures only put things on a car they think they have to. However these cars where designed in 18 months and IMO were rushed to the market for 03. Since Colletti was so unhappy about the 02 models they rushed these for the 03 year and could have been better if more time was taken.

You're kidding right? :poke:

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
Because I feel they are a gimick. I agree the theory behind them sounds good, but both owners of the performance shop and tune shop I use own two of the baddest Eaton Terminators I know of, and both tell me they are a waste, and neither runs them. Both have also seen people melt pistons and develop ticking issues with them. Both tell me that they would be more than happy to take my money and install one for me if I really wanted one though.

HCM's aren't going to just save your motor during a 5th or 6th gear pull. The motors still going to create alot of heat, and the same hot coolant is going to keep flowing into the head. Ford could of easily had added this mod, but they chose not to. Why? :??:

Your thread has given me a idea for a thread. I'm about to start one asking all the owns who have blown a motor do to heat issues if they were running head cooling mods or not.

im not planning on doing any 5th or 6th gear pulls ever, i just wanted a HCM for some little insurance

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
user named bigbadwolff66 said they invented the evenflow HCM and the way he describes it to me seems to work pretty legit

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member

Curious to see your thread

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
I had Trbovenom install mine when I went to the whipple, I thought it was cheap insurance and it doesn't leak so far and that's been over a year ago

y2ksilvergt

SVT God
Established Member
hell yeah thats what im talking bout, so has anyone purchased one from bigbadwolff66 on here?? (evenflow one btw)

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
The best coolin mod i think is the use of evans coolant and there thermostat that goes in the upper radiator hose. The coolant is waterless its like a thin oil. Also ditch the stock oil cooler and run and external one and remote oil filter. Engine oil pulls alot of heat out of an engine.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
The best coolin mod i think is the use of evans coolant and there thermostat that goes in the upper radiator hose. The coolant is waterless its like a thin oil. Also ditch the stock oil cooler and run and external one and remote oil filter. Engine oil pulls alot of heat out of an engine.

Evans coolant also makes the car run a little warmer. Me and another cobra owner both installed the evan's products along with a bigger radiator and h/e. I installed mine as i could afford it. Ours cars did not run any cooler but during open track events it did take more time for our cars to get really warm before we had to slow down. The hood mod is the only mod that actually helps the car to run cooler all the time. Do a search in the open track events and there is plenty of data i datalogged in temps over 100 degrees.

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
I dont think it runs warmer i think it pulls more heat out of the engine. Think about it... the coolant temp sending unit is right there on the upper crossover tube. Where the coolant leaves the heads goig to the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread