Opinions on turbo kits?

justinsstang

Established Member
Well that was quite a dissertation.

Please tell me who's car you are talking about with mt82, 3.73s, and a Paxton went 10s because the only one I saw was later found to have 3.31s, not 3.73s.

Your mouth is writing checks your experience cannot cash.

Get your car on the road and "run 10s" with those 3.73s then come on back and show us how it's done.

:)

"I had a 12' Paxton with a stock block and 3.73's and LOVED IT! It was the perfect combo for my tastes. I only ran it once after the paxton install and it was right before I sold it. It ran a 10.41 on ET streets. Hope this helps."
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1073181-Gears-on-a-Paxton-MT82-car

The DA is usually pretty good at the ST. Louis 1/4 track which is where I would be taking it.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
Yea I know what you did at rival runway, so you will pretty much walk any Paxton car at the track then right?

M6, similar power, similar weight. i'd give it a shot. lol.

but my smiles come from roll racing, not 1/4. To each their own.

it doesn't deviate from the fact that torque wins races, just like dustin has said earlier.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?851253-2011-Turbo-kit-giveaway!!#post11818821

Should give you a good idea of what comes with the kit. I'm waiting on my CPR kit currently. I feel like a kid on Christmas

I lost that link, was hoping someone still had it, thank you. My decision now is either CPR or JPC really. Not happening till next winter anyways, but I'm about to begin buying parts for the build.

it doesn't deviate from the fact that torque wins races, just like dustin has said earlier.

I'd agree with this.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah...not exactly. That is a gross over simplification... i see your point but, in theory, its not correct mathmatically.

Torque does not win races. Average horsepower over a given rpm range does.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Good topic, but with a lot of useless info on here.

Things not mentioned: How do people like the open waste gates in the JPC and EDP kits, does the noise get old after a while when boosting? And how is the handling without the sway bars?

How long is the install on the Hellion twin turbo? Have most tuners figured out how to tune it? (I remember it having some tuning issues)

Does the aftermarket K-member on the CPR kit create a lot of NVH?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Good topic, but with a lot of useless info on here.

Things not mentioned: How do people like the open waste gates in the JPC and EDP kits, does the noise get old after a while when boosting? And how is the handling without the sway bars?

How long is the install on the Hellion twin turbo? Have most tuners figured out how to tune it? (I remember it having some tuning issues)

I can't speak on EDP but I can on the JPC. The noise does not bother me at all, I love it actually.

As for handling I hanged with about 20+ TT Lambos, GTRs in TX2K16 for around 45-1hr minutes while we got rid of the slower PRO wearing fools who couldn't turn a corner. Now when I first got the car back I did notice a night and day difference in the handling department which I didn't care for but I got used to it and it worked for me, then again I'm a strictly roll race guy on the street so pushing the car to the limit in corners with my power level wasn't something I was shooting for. Would it be nice to have a FSB... Hell yeah, but it's maybe 75-80% what the old car was in the handling department I'd say.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
For what it's worth, I ran my hellion tt stock motor car anywhere from 8-14psi with no issues. I raced it multiple times every week and weekend and put it in the 8s so I would argue that 9psi exceeds the 'safe limits'. Proper fuel and tuning plays a huge factor.

Lots of racing videos in my car on my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/c/juic3d

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Hellion for me! No regrets at all.

I liked the fact that the kit is built by people who actually build exhaust for a living, it has a lifetime warranty on all the piping, it is proven, makes power, fits nice, fantastic customer service and looks great!

I was looking into the Fluid kit a few years ago and it is still not ready so..... still no regrets in my decision.

The single kits I really don't like the way the turbo's are mounted in front of the motor. No swaybar is a no for me.

Hellion FTW!

Famine

Established Member
On the hellions, is the spool time longer (seems like it would be since you're having to turn double the turbines)? Also are there brackets to support the turbos so they don't Crack over time from vibration and heat cycles?

stretchb

Established Member
All the kits comes with everything you need except fuel options(injectors pumps ) tuner and tune ..

CPR comes with every thing till the axle back except what's listed above even a midpipe I believe

Edp you will need a straight threw cutback so as jpc I believe ..they all get you what you want it's just a matter of front sway or not and if that makes a difference ..edp is stupid loud with the open gates and I believe you have a option with CPR or jpc ..that noise can get old just like the Paxton big red blow off valve option ..the only thing that's throws me off is running a straight threee setup with a turbo kit which I don't like raspy and loud so I might restrict HP and TQ and throw a gt500 setup on there or something that will quiet it down

OP I had a Paxton setup before and it was cool and fast for what is was .. I DID not like the drivability at all and I had the AED fix your drivability tune on there also from him ..which helped a ton (AED tune was awesome just Paxton and auto with maf placement and clocked properly still didn't give desired results for me ) in looking into the CPR turbo kit as of now ..I message Dustin here and there all the time asking him a ton of questions and he is always quick to respond ..

At the end of the day is how much are you willing to spend and what are you goals also ..
if u man up and runs some boost u will never hear w/g open :)

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I can't speak on EDP but I can on the JPC. The noise does not bother me at all, I love it actually.

As for handling I hanged with about 20+ TT Lambos, GTRs in TX2K16 for around 45-1hr minutes while we got rid of the slower PRO wearing fools who couldn't turn a corner. Now when I first got the car back I did notice a night and day difference in the handling department which I didn't care for but I got used to it and it worked for me, then again I'm a strictly roll race guy on the street so pushing the car to the limit in corners with my power level wasn't something I was shooting for. Would it be nice to have a FSB... Hell yeah, but it's maybe 75-80% what the old car was in the handling department I'd say.

Do you have any suspension work?

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
On the hellions, is the spool time longer (seems like it would be since you're having to turn double the turbines)? Also are there brackets to support the turbos so they don't Crack over time from vibration and heat cycles?

Not really. You're spinning 2 smaller 62mm turbos compared to 1 bigger 76mm.

CPRsm

Nah not a lot. It is going to have an increase because it's still a kmember. But it's not excessive or higher than normal. At least from what I've driven. I might be biased though lol

Not really. You're spinning 2 smaller 62mm turbos compared to 1 bigger 76mm.
Yeah, but the mass you need to rotate is usually more w twins. And you have to kick start it with half the exhaust energy in twins. BUT being closer to the head the twins have the advantage of ea "putt" of the exhaust being hotter and larger in volume which helps spool. Kinda goes either way really. More depends on the setup of the individual kit and how it's setup more than how many turbos there are. Pressure drop in the intercooler, hotside sizing and transitions, post turbine flow and pressure, etc.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Not really. It really depends on what you want. If 900 RWHP is your goal, and you want faster spool time, go with the 55 mm turbos. If you want 1000 RWHP+, then go with the 62's. I personally wouldn't want anything faster than the 62s personally. It allows the power to come on smoothly.

Here is a good comparison between the 2 sizes. :read:

http://www.svtperformance.com/2015/02/19/tech-2015-mustang-hellion-turbo/

And yes, the down pipes are supported and Hellion warranties them from cracking. I have not had any issues with my kit.

Users who are viewing this thread