Opinions on turbo kits?

Doug1227

Established Member
^Cool read, Kevin. I'm not sure I'd want MORE torque, but that effectively shifts everything up about 500rpm. Nice!

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
On the hellions, is the spool time longer (seems like it would be since you're having to turn double the turbines)? Also are there brackets to support the turbos so they don't Crack over time from vibration and heat cycles?

I think 04Sleeper has a pic running around somewhere of me literally bending my car in half to a 1.37 60 ft with completely 100% stock suspension. I personally would go with the 62mm turbos if you have an auto. If you need a bit of lag to hook, then run a tighter converter, less 2step on the transbrake, etc. But if you want them to light instantly, they will. As far as the turbo vs blower argument goes..... well, I'll stay out of this as to not upset anyone. But I will just say that I have owned every type of blower....centri, roots, and Lysholm (twin screw) and also multiple turbo kits. Once you go turbo, you never go back. (Unless class rules dictate an advantage from one to the other). As far as CPR vs JPC vs Hellion, they will all literally put your nuts in your throat (male) or make you tingle and giggle, then scream (female). All 3 are a 1-2 day job with a few extra hands helping. All three will scatter your stock or even non-sleeved built engine if you want them to. That about sums it up. Oh wait, if you decide twins, I suggest the above. You will actually get all the parts in 1-2 weeks. :banana:

evil281

Established Member
I want a CPR single turbo after reading this damn thread. I was all set to just do a vmp kit but this revived my curiosity of a turbo stang which was my plan on my 99' before I sold it.

I have never been boosted before so I don't want to miss out on the turbo dream.

CPRsm

Don't let me be your gateway drug. I'll have none of it!

Except this could be you. Literally, cuz GHIG lol

image-80.jpg

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I want a CPR single turbo after reading this damn thread. I was all set to just do a vmp kit but this revived my curiosity of a turbo stang which was my plan on my 99' before I sold it.

I have never been boosted before so I don't want to miss out on the turbo dream.

Being in a turbo Coyote is like being in bed with Carrie Underwood. No matter the situation, it's going to be good.

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
Don't let me be your gateway drug. I'll have none of it!

Except this could be you. Literally, cuz GHIG lol

image-80.jpg

Trust me the snotrocket build thread was a big factor here too. Only downside, and maybe I'm overthinking this just because all of the online back and forth, is I love my manual cars and I have zero intentions of going auto. This is just a fun street car for me and I love rowing gears. Not trying to get the best times at the strip.

Are street driven m6 turbos giving up a lot compared to pd blowers?

CPRsm

Nah I don't think so, as long as you can flat shift drive the car you'll be fine. If you shift like grandma and let the BOV dump boost, you will need to rebuild boost on every shift(sux.) If that happens plan on getting you ass handed to you by a TVS Lol. If you have trouble w that kind of shifting a wot box makes it child's play and very repeatable.

CPRsm

Yup lol. Our kmember has even fixed a shift issue or two from minimizing engine twist. W a wotbox it shifts like buttah. That's better than butter

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Good point. The remote shifter is even more cause of concern once the car makes enough power to start making things twist....interesting.

I dont suppose this wotbox dingus is something you stock is it?

evil281

Established Member
The MGW race spec definitely helped out the shifts. I do power shift probably more than I should. Still this transmission is not great, I am hoping the new clutch and flywheel setup will help even more.

CPRsm

A
Good point. The remote shifter is even more cause of concern once the car makes enough power to start making things twist....interesting.

I dont suppose this wotbox dingus is something you stock is it?
Send me a PM. I know of a group buy on them right now. He has plenty in stock

syclone50

Established Member
ok I know several asked for a graph of a centri vs turbo on the same car.

This is mine with my old set up. Vortec V3 at 10psi vs my on3 setup with 10psi.
Same boss intake, same dyno, same tuner.

20150614_080445.gif

Last edited:

justinsstang

Established Member
How did you only make 579 @ 10psi with the vortech? Really conservative tune I guess? I like how the torque is closer to the hp than all the paxton numbers I've seen (I see 610/500 etc for paxton) but the hp is very unimpressive. The torque makes me wonder if I should trade my paxton unit for a vortech though lol. I don't plan on building the block and if I did due to a future failure the most I would do is 700rwhp, any more than that is just stupid for the street IMO since I'd have such a hard time with traction on these shitty Illinois roads.

Also weird that the on3 doesn't reach peak torque til 4700. I really expected it to be sooner than that.

CPRsm

ok I know several asked for a graph of a centri vs turbo on the same car.

This is mine with my old set up. Vortec V3 at 10psi vs my on3 setup with 10psi.
Same boss intake, same dyno, same tuner.

20150614_080445.gif
I think you posted the wrong graph. Paxton doesn't make 500ft/lbs @ 2500. And HP gains w rpm. That one peaks way too low in the rpm range to be a Paxton.

JTS_7

Established Member
^^

Hard to judge off just graphs. There are so many ways to calibrate tunes on these cars. Lots of tuners calibrate many of the settings to keep the motor/drivetrain together long term by limiting power output or the way power comes on in many different situations.So it doesn't give you a good representation of what said kit/setup is capable of.

With that said you could literally take X setup tuned by so and so on the safe side of everything and turn around and try and go all out and the graphs may looks quite a bit different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread