Opinions on turbo kits?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Few hours north? It says you're in Florida. I'm in Rapid City, SD. That's a lot north. lol

I had an s2000 that I turbo'd (and blew and would like to avoid on this platform) and the guys on there were always bickering about the same centri vs turbo.
[video=youtube;4667MmWUWPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4667MmWUWPI[/video]

Anyhow, I know turbo is better, but I do want to make sure I'm safe. It is a good rule of thumb to have money for a rebuild when you boost; however, I'm not patient. I always heard most turbo guys on any platform complain that they're always having to tinker with them and I quite frankly don't want to be in that boat. I want get in an go.

Since I brought it up, here's me blowing it up.
[video=youtube;rNw-unU4qBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNw-unU4qBs[/video]

Nice comparison video... thats good stuff.

Kyle55

Established Member
Thats a great comparison video, i haven't heard of the turbo spikes and lag being brought up as an issue on coyotes though. To compare turbo kits we need two autos to race with same power level, gears, and tires. hellion tt vs cpr vs jpc roll race same rwhp

_Snake_

Established Member
I really just want an affordable, reliable, well-built, kit to push 600whp, with good Driveability, where I can put the power down, and have upgradeability for the future. Important thing I'd I want to be confident getting in the car when I want and drive across the country without having high blood pressure from worrying if I will make it or not.

I don't have a dog in this fight and think you want a centri based on your criteria. It'll require the least modifications to your car (reliable), easily make 600 rwhp (not too far from what the stock block can safely hold....650ish according to many), and can be upgraded when you're ready (pulley).

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Few hours north? It says you're in Florida. I'm in Rapid City, SD. That's a lot north. lol

I had an s2000 that I turbo'd (and blew and would like to avoid on this platform) and the guys on there were always bickering about the same centri vs turbo.
[video=youtube;4667MmWUWPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4667MmWUWPI[/video]

Anyhow, I know turbo is better, but I do want to make sure I'm safe. It is a good rule of thumb to have money for a rebuild when you boost; however, I'm not patient. I always heard most turbo guys on any platform complain that they're always having to tinker with them and I quite frankly don't want to be in that boat. I want get in an go.

Since I brought it up, here's me blowing it up.
[video=youtube;rNw-unU4qBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNw-unU4qBs[/video]

A 6262 is a big turbo for a 2.0-2.4 liter four cylinder. I can see why you would get a lot of lag on first gear starts. A smaller turbo on E85 might fair better against a Paxton/E85 powered S-2000 (at least from lower speeds).

justinsstang

Established Member
Already another guy that posted he ran 10.4 with 3.73s and an mt82 with the torque booster set up. Where is this "centri is trash" attitude coming from...

The dumbest part of this thread was the comparison of an 11psi TWIN TURBO kit to a centri. And still laughable when it was compared again at 9psi (ON A TWIN TURBO KIT) to a centri on 9psi.

9psi on a twin is exceeding the blocks "safe" limits. Even on 6psi on3 mt82 car makes 600+rwhp. 7psi is right at 640-650 area. This is on 93. A fair comparison would be a 7psi on3 vs a torque booster paxton.

Turbo will always win the power-per-psi war, but my point is if a centri and turbo are at the same power not pushing over stock block limits it's very possible it could be a drivers race assuming they're manual trans cars and not the dickless shift auto (shots fired!!!).

And of course we'll both be on drag tires. Not sure what you expect... you think I'd be running my 19s on street tires down the track? Lol. It will be on a drag tire setup, basic bmr suspension setup (1.5 lowering springs, adj uca with mount, non-adj lca with relo brackets, adj phb), mt82 race spec (got it today, have to install), catless midpipe and will be installing my gt500 quads next week also when the diffuser arrives. Currently have the pypes super system but it's too loud for my fiance and coming off.

Also will be getting torque booster before we run which I don't currently have.

It also may be a little while before I get the torque booster now since we just bought another damned car. Fiance wanted an FR-S (slowest car on the planet fyi). Looks pretty and gets good gas mileage though lmfao. Perfect for her. Handles VERY well and is also a manual trans, meaning my fiance has more balls than some of these mustang folks (more shots fired). Onnlyyyy giving you shit, nothing wrong with the auto I just like doing something while driving and having some amount of skill involved in a win. (again lol)

Turbos have always been the best FI set up, but the hate on the centri in here is ridiculous. My car with a paxton is FUN and FAST for a street car and I have yet to see another car on the street that can even remotely keep up with me... all end up like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TNDcCDS62M&feature=youtu.be

Not everyone has $8k to throw at a turbo kit. Centri set up is very viable and OP don't let these overpriced single turbo pushers try to tell you otherwise.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I hear a lot of people talk about affording a $5k Paxton but not a $7-8k Turbo kit... I know the Mustang is the "budget" platform but come on man. If u don't have $2000 extra then u are in a tough/questionable place to be modding in the first place would be my assessment. I'd rather run a Turbo with no OPGs than a SC also, that's normally a $1500-2000+ job alone. U also have so many supporting mods that "should" be done once u put a Turbo or SC on ur car that it's far more than $5k Paxton and go win all the races in ur home town also.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
My car with a paxton is FUN and FAST for a street car and I have yet to see another car on the street that can even remotely keep up with me... all end up like this:

Not everyone has $8k to throw at a turbo kit. Centri set up is very viable and OP don't let these overpriced single turbo pushers try to tell you otherwise.

you should bring that car somewhere where other fast cars are, then compare turbo to centri....

you get what you pay for.

Famine

Established Member
I hear a lot of people talk about affording a $5k Paxton but not a $7-8k Turbo kit... I know the Mustang is the "budget" platform but come on man. If u don't have $2000 extra then u are in a tough/questionable place to be modding in the first place would be my assessment. I'd rather run a Turbo with no OPGs than a SC also, that's normally a $1500-2000+ job alone. U also have so many supporting mods that "should" be done once u put a Turbo or SC on ur car that it's far more than $5k Paxton and go win all the races in ur home town also.

Aren't there things in addition to a kit you have to buy? Clutch, gauges, sometimes injectors, sometimes a bap, etc?

Famine

Established Member
So to verify I'm not missing anything, what are the factors for each kit that would help make you decide on that kit vs the others? For instance, the Cpr turbo kit will retain the front sway and has a support bracket for the snail, not to mention has the kmember and is said to be a complete kit. Well what about the jpc and the edp?

Vic2186

Established Member
All the kits comes with everything you need except fuel options(injectors pumps ) tuner and tune ..

CPR comes with every thing till the axle back except what's listed above even a midpipe I believe

Edp you will need a straight threw cutback so as jpc I believe ..they all get you what you want it's just a matter of front sway or not and if that makes a difference ..edp is stupid loud with the open gates and I believe you have a option with CPR or jpc ..that noise can get old just like the Paxton big red blow off valve option ..the only thing that's throws me off is running a straight threee setup with a turbo kit which I don't like raspy and loud so I might restrict HP and TQ and throw a gt500 setup on there or something that will quiet it down

OP I had a Paxton setup before and it was cool and fast for what is was .. I DID not like the drivability at all and I had the AED fix your drivability tune on there also from him ..which helped a ton (AED tune was awesome just Paxton and auto with maf placement and clocked properly still didn't give desired results for me ) in looking into the CPR turbo kit as of now ..I message Dustin here and there all the time asking him a ton of questions and he is always quick to respond ..

At the end of the day is how much are you willing to spend and what are you goals also ..

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^^^^ What he said!

+1

I had some Magnaflow resonators put into my system before the OAP with Magnaflow Comps for the 13/14 GT500, took all the rasp out, composed the sound and allowed the exhaust to flow very well. I didn't need cutouts on my JPC setup as the back pressure or lack of never warranted such.

Last edited:

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
i'm not trying to be the group asshole....but I will be to prove a point.

centri cars are slower. it's science. Bill Nye would agree.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Already another guy that posted he ran 10.4 with 3.73s and an mt82 with the torque booster set up. Where is this "centri is trash" attitude coming from...

The dumbest part of this thread was the comparison of an 11psi TWIN TURBO kit to a centri. And still laughable when it was compared again at 9psi (ON A TWIN TURBO KIT) to a centri on 9psi.

9psi on a twin is exceeding the blocks "safe" limits. Even on 6psi on3 mt82 car makes 600+rwhp. 7psi is right at 640-650 area. This is on 93. A fair comparison would be a 7psi on3 vs a torque booster paxton.

Turbo will always win the power-per-psi war, but my point is if a centri and turbo are at the same power not pushing over stock block limits it's very possible it could be a drivers race assuming they're manual trans cars and not the dickless shift auto (shots fired!!!).

And of course we'll both be on drag tires. Not sure what you expect... you think I'd be running my 19s on street tires down the track? Lol. It will be on a drag tire setup, basic bmr suspension setup (1.5 lowering springs, adj uca with mount, non-adj lca with relo brackets, adj phb), mt82 race spec (got it today, have to install), catless midpipe and will be installing my gt500 quads next week also when the diffuser arrives. Currently have the pypes super system but it's too loud for my fiance and coming off.

Also will be getting torque booster before we run which I don't currently have.

It also may be a little while before I get the torque booster now since we just bought another damned car. Fiance wanted an FR-S (slowest car on the planet fyi). Looks pretty and gets good gas mileage though lmfao. Perfect for her. Handles VERY well and is also a manual trans, meaning my fiance has more balls than some of these mustang folks (more shots fired). Onnlyyyy giving you shit, nothing wrong with the auto I just like doing something while driving and having some amount of skill involved in a win. (again lol)

Turbos have always been the best FI set up, but the hate on the centri in here is ridiculous. My car with a paxton is FUN and FAST for a street car and I have yet to see another car on the street that can even remotely keep up with me... all end up like this:

Well that was quite a dissertation.

Please tell me who's car you are talking about with mt82, 3.73s, and a Paxton went 10s because the only one I saw was later found to have 3.31s, not 3.73s.

Your mouth is writing checks your experience cannot cash.

Get your car on the road and "run 10s" with those 3.73s then come on back and show us how it's done.

:)

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
haven't been to the track yet. tore up 3rd and 4th at runway rivalry, just had trans rebuilt.
but I did trap top three there, under a TTG, and an F1x Vette...so...

Users who are viewing this thread