Opinions on turbo kits?

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
All I'm saying is, I'll be mid 10s with this paxton with torque booster. A friend of mine locally just bought an EDP and should have it installed in the next couple months. He's not going to break 9s with a single turbo kit on a safe boost level with a manual. The numbers HAVE to be close.

We're BOTH manual cars because we both have a penis *ahem*, so we'll put this "ZOMG TURBO RAPES PAXTON EVERY TIME" bull shit to the test soon and I'll post results. I don't care about your dyno sheets. I wanted a turbo and settled for a paxton because of the single turbo guys charging twice the price and I can't say I'm unsatisfied with the result. I will however be much happier with the torque booster, I can definitely feel it lacking down low.

Unless he goes full retard and turns up the boost for our specific race and runs the block at a not "safe" limit (something I won't do) I know it will be a very close race.

Turbo's > Centri any day of the week on these cars, there is no argument. I'll be running a single next winter and I will run you any day of the week with lower boost and we will see how that works out for you. I am betting your friend walks you hard at the same PSI. My good friends have boosted 5.0's. One is an On3 car, one is a Paxton car with a torque booster making 675whp. Paxton on 9.5psi versus the TT car on 11. Let's just say the Paxton car did not fair to well and lost by a bus or two.

Even with his car running the TQ booster, it still felt like it was lacking down low.

Turbo > Centri

be sure to post video in this thread.

the results will be as we are all expecting.

i had a paxton with a wastegate. spoiler alert: I don't anymore

But you spent more money than him

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Turbo's > Centri any day of the week on these cars, there is no argument. I'll be running a single next winter and I will run you any day of the week with lower boost and we will see how that works out for you. I am betting your friend walks you hard at the same PSI. My good friends have boosted 5.0's. One is an On3 car, one is a Paxton car with a torque booster making 675whp. Paxton on 9.5psi versus the TT car on 11. Let's just say the Paxton car did not fair to well and lost by a bus or two.

Even with his car running the TQ booster, it still felt like it was lacking down low.

Turbo > Centri

But you spent more money than him

So you guys thought a turbo car on 11 psi wouldn't be faster than a centri on 9.5?

The outcome of that race seems obvious before they even lined up.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
LOL at 10s on a Paxton car with 3.73s and mt82 even WITH the TQ booster.

Good luck with that.

Gonna take full suspension and a full slick to have a fighting chance.

Been there done that.

Have a buddy that went 10.5 @135 with vortech v3 base kit, 93 oct, full exhaust, mt82 car with 3.31's.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Have a buddy that went 10.5 @135 with vortech v3 base kit, 93 oct, full exhaust, mt82 car with 3.73's.

Yes and at that power level the v3 is more efficient and in my opinion a better option than a Paxton.

What was his suspension and tire set up? Was this mineshaft air?

You do realize that is close to a 140 mph car with better gears right (eliminating the 5th gear shift).... All on the stock pulley??

Seems like a stretch....

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yes and at that power level the v3 is more efficient and in my opinion a better option than a Paxton.

What was his suspension and tire set up? Was this mineshaft air?

You do realize that is close to a 140 mph car with better gears right (eliminating the 5th gear shift).... All on the stock pulley??

Seems like a stretch....

My mistake he was on 3.31's.

Don't know about conditions or air. Basic suspension, lowers, upper, Viking shocks and bmr springs.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My mistake he was on 3.31's.

Don't know about conditions or air. Basic suspension, lowers, upper, Viking shocks and bmr springs.

Gotcha. Sounds like a nice set up.

Gears are all the difference in the world. I haven't been to the track since my 3.27s swap but from what I've read i left 3-5 mph on the table wih the 5th gear shift and 3.73s.

My best trap speed on the stock 3.8 was 125 mph on a hot 86* day. I was not impressed.

For my power goals (700 or less) the v3 is probably a better choice.

No worries though... I'm stickin with the Paxton and WILL get it to perform! For the cost, nothing compares.

Even if you have to buy an 8 rib set up you are still well under the cost of EDP and you get fuel and a tune.

Just gotta stick with it.

Last edited:

STL5OHSLOW

Established Member
this was my car and it was in September in saint Louis mo, which is nothing close to mine shaft air. Stock pulley no waste gate slicks and skinnies, 6 rib full exhaust and lund racing tune

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Gotcha. Sounds like a nice set up.

Gears are all the difference in the world. I haven't been to the track since my 3.27s swap but from what I've read i left 3-5 mph on the table wih the 5th gear shift and 3.73s.

My best trap speed on the stock 3.8 was 125 mph on a hot 86* day. I was not impressed.

For my power goals (700 or less) the v3 is probably a better choice.

No worries though... I'm stickin with the Paxton and WILL get it to perform! For the cost, nothing compares.

Even if you have to buy an 8 rib set up you are still well under the cost of EDP and you get fuel and a tune.

Just gotta stick with it.

Just like with any power adder out there, you just need to build the car around the power plant to make it work and be efficient to get it down the track.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
starkeyeroll.jpg

Kyle55

Established Member
Turbo is of course gonna make more power on same psi more efficient. The best example would a dynograph of a centri and turbo of the exact same power level. Turbos are more fun which is my decision will be turbo. Centris are weak sauce. Fastest coyotes are all turbos. Also cpr and beefcake need to race.

Last edited:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Is that cuz bored, or cuz stoned off his ass? Lmao
Iron man knows what's up. No belts on his suit!

Bored with this bickering! More racing, please. I'm ready to beat the shit out of this new setup.

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Boost is boost. I have a bigger.... Down pipe and belts are for pants.

X2 on the CPR, JPC or hellion TT. Can't go wrong with any but my opinion is biased. I love my CPR kit. Suits me fine. If ya want OP, feel free to take a hike a few hours north of ya. You can look my car over if it will help you with your decision.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
i'll be chasing you.

what's left? i figured you were close.

or you've been going to your shop to sit on your thumb...

It's closer.

The problem with sitting around and waiting for back-ordered parts is that it gives me idle hands and then the hamster wheel starts turning. More items change when that happens. Just odds and ends.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
let me know if there's any way I can help, as usual.

that sucks about the parts. i hear headstuds are important when assembling a motor.

at least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

you're prob closer than everyone else here to running a number. (something to look forward to)

Famine

Established Member
Boost is boost. I have a bigger.... Down pipe and belts are for pants.

X2 on the CPR, JPC or hellion TT. Can't go wrong with any but my opinion is biased. I love my CPR kit. Suits me fine. If ya want OP, feel free to take a hike a few hours north of ya. You can look my car over if it will help you with your decision.

Few hours north? It says you're in Florida. I'm in Rapid City, SD. That's a lot north. lol

I had an s2000 that I turbo'd (and blew and would like to avoid on this platform) and the guys on there were always bickering about the same centri vs turbo.
[video=youtube;4667MmWUWPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4667MmWUWPI[/video]

Anyhow, I know turbo is better, but I do want to make sure I'm safe. It is a good rule of thumb to have money for a rebuild when you boost; however, I'm not patient. I always heard most turbo guys on any platform complain that they're always having to tinker with them and I quite frankly don't want to be in that boat. I want get in an go.

Since I brought it up, here's me blowing it up.
[video=youtube;rNw-unU4qBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNw-unU4qBs[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread