New Ford GT a v6??? WTF

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I would not rather have a 500hp TTV8, I would rather have a 750hp forced induction V8. The thing definitely sounds pissed off, but it sounds like a pissed off V6. I am not questioning the performance of the new GT, I'm just surprised and curious about how others feel. I think if Ford could have built a new GT with similar or better performance, but stayed more true to it's roots.

Keep in mind this car will be on sale to the public. At a rumored 200k pricepoint what do you really expect? Do you seriously think there are very many FOMOCO fans that are going to drop $500+k on a GT that has the performance you're asking for? Additionaly, as has been brought up in the plethora of other threads on this car, mandated fuel economy standards are getting crazy strict soon. Unless something changes in the law big power forced induction small displacement motors will be the new normal. Look at the bright side - it's not like the 70's where all the cars (to include the V8's) were gutless wonders.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do we really need another thread about this... this is the future like it or not.

This. It was going to happen sooner or later. We're now on the threshold. I predict that if an upcoming Mustang gets a twin turbo V6 (with no V8 available any longer) that outperforms the current Mustang V8, those who are now saying "I will never buy one" will indeed buy one and they'll happily tell us why they love it so much. Watch and see.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Keep in mind this car will be on sale to the public. At a rumored 200k pricepoint what do you really expect? Do you seriously think there are very many FOMOCO fans that are going to drop $500+k on a GT that has the performance you're asking for? Additionaly, as has been brought up in the plethora of other threads on this car, mandated fuel economy standards are getting crazy strict soon. Unless something changes in the law big power forced induction small displacement motors will be the new normal. Look at the bright side - it's not like the 70's where all the cars (to include the V8's) were gutless wonders.

Like in 1975 when the Cadillac 500 CID V8 only had 195 HP. It still remains the most inefficient engine of all time for the amount of displacement to power made.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
svtp on gm - "at least we aren't gm using those same old pushrods"

svtp on hellcats - "bout time! Welcome to the supercharged party dodge! Too bad we're leaving! N/a, ecoboost here we come!!!"

svtp on the gt - "why didn't they do what they've always done and put a heat-soaked blown modular in it that they've been using for the last 15 years!?... I don't care that it's arguably the worst combination for endurance racing because i want it now!"

that's what you all sound like.
lol

BlueSnake01

Established Member
SVTP On New FGT - OMGAWD!! Looks bad ass!! Wow 600+ hp!!!! Sounds mean as hell!!! Wait, no V8? V6TT?? FAIL FAIL FAIL

Chances of most of you to afford one to begin with are slim to none so what does it matter? Im sure every industry at one point will probably leave the V8’s, just because its a V6 doesn’t mean is a bad thing. Im sure if Ford never gave out the specs on what engine it had and people just heard it, they wouldn’t be complaining about it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
This. It was going to happen sooner or later. We're now on the threshold. I predict that if an upcoming Mustang gets a twin turbo V6 (with no V8 available any longer) that outperforms the current Mustang V8, those who are now saying "I will never buy one" will indeed buy one and they'll happily tell us why they love it so much. Watch and see.

Yup. Unless the CAFE standards get bumped back/delayed etc, it'll be a matter of time till more efficient options of achieving MPG numbers will only be attained by the EB. That, and I think Ford wants to invest more in the EB line and not spend as much on the 5.0.
Some will be pissed, but the majority of mustang buyers won't care what goes into the car, as long as it is faster than the 'Maro lol

Blackoyote

Established Member
SVTP on GM - "At least we aren't GM using those same old pushrods"

SVTP on Hellcats - "Bout time! Welcome to the supercharged party Dodge! Too bad we're leaving! N/A, Ecoboost here we come!!!"

SVTP on the GT - "Why didn't they do what they've always done and put a heat-soaked blown modular in it that they've been using for the last 15 years!?... I don't care that it's arguably the worst combination for endurance racing because I want it now!"

That's what you all sound like.

QFT. Annnnnnd boom goes the dynamite.

Voltwings

Established Member
Do people not realize how big a TT modular V8 would be? The EB has a shallower crank angle compared to the 5.0, 60* vs 90*. This means it is significantly less wide than a 5.0, i can clearly see the ground through my Fiance's V6 engine bay ... hell, you can do a header swap almost 100% from the top, so there's plenty of room for 2 turbos down there. A 5.0 on the other hand is damn near kissing the frame rails on each side ... A TT 5.0 variant would have made the car like 1 to 1.5 feet wider, completely ruining the tear drop design in regards to the aerodynamics, handling, and pretty much every aspect. The turbos would also likely have to sit on top of the motor like they do in the actual 5.0 kits, which would mean more changes to the body work, or a packaging nightmare ... I would not hesitate to say that this car with a TT v8 would actually perform worse than the TT v6.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
OMG. WHO ****ING CARES. I've never seen a site with such "bigdick syndrome". The FordGT is a LeMans inspired race car. Not a quarter mile drag queen. It's about weight reduction, fuel consumption, power to weight, efficiency, profile, low center of gravity. There is just too many things to factor in. Aside from that, why are people even complaining about something that 99% of us won't own.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

SVTP on Hellcats - "Bout time! Welcome to the supercharged party Dodge! Too bad we're leaving! N/A, Ecoboost here we come!!!"

SVTP on the GT - "Why didn't they do what they've always done and put a heat-soaked blown modular in it that they've been using for the last 15 years!?... I don't care that it's arguably the worst combination for endurance racing because I want it now!"

I haven't bothered reading the Pic and Video GT thread, but I'm not seeing a lot of the "should of thrown a supercharged(heat soaked) v8 into it posts.
I think some were shocked that the GT is getting a V6, albeit a badass one, and not the 5.2 or the ecobeast option, not understanding the racing side of the current GT.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Like in 1975 when the Cadillac 500 CID V8 only had 195 HP. It still remains the most inefficient engine of all time for the amount of displacement to power made.

your referring to power density (HP/liter), not efficiency

Efficiency absolutely has nothing to do with power density. An engine could be highly efficient but not power dense and vice versa. Engine size (displacement) also has nothing to do with efficiency. An engine can be small, power dense and highly inefficient. :nono:

A bmw s1000rr bike engine is less than 1liter but makes 200hp. At the same time if you used this engine in a sedan it would be highly inefficient and consume more fuel than a a 200hp v6 with 3 times the displacement. You want an engine with has a torque profile which closely matches the load characteristics of the application.

I can see why one would think smaller engine = higher efficiency but this logic is not in agreement with the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics.

It takes X amount of fuel to produce X amount of energy necessary to push a car down the road and overcome rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, and the parasitic losses from accessories and transmission losses. None of the gasoline engine technology currently being used actually increases efficiency. Most of them are effectively gimmicks to get higher EPA ratings and consumer confidence.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Ford should have got a waiver like SRT did with the Viper. A v6 in the Ford GT is lame to me. It looks stunning though. The heavily restricted V10 still managed to do very well.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I think some were shocked that the GT is getting a V6, albeit a badass one, and not the 5.2 or the ecobeast option, not understanding the racing side of the current GT.

Someone clearly didn't read any of the threads or front page articles on 'Ecobeast'. Technically, that's exactly what this car got. A crazy modded 600hp ecoboost engine.

They are going racing with the car and the 3.5L ecoboost has been tried and tested for a while now in the Daytona Prototype cars. The 5.2L is brand spaking new and probably not suited for endurance racing.

All the info is out there, people just want to bitch about not having a V8. Get over it.

sonicblew

Established Member
I think it was a well thought out car. Im positive they looked at both engine layouts as an option. This one has a lot of advantages over a V8 as others pointed out. Not to mention the fact that the larger engine could have completely changed the shape of the back end. That tear drop shape is killer!

Im glad ford isn't just doing the same thing over and over. Thats how things get BETTER

For the guys hating, I guess you'll just have to spend your money on another supercar.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Someone clearly didn't read any of the threads or front page articles on 'Ecobeast'. Technically, that's exactly what this car got. A crazy modded 600hp ecoboost engine.

They are going racing with the car and the 3.5L ecoboost has been tried and tested for a while now in the Daytona Prototype cars. The 5.2L is brand spaking new and probably not suited for endurance racing.

All the info is out there, people just want to bitch about not having a V8. Get over it.

I think it was a well thought out car. Im positive they looked at both engine layouts as an option. This one has a lot of advantages over a V8 as others pointed out. Not to mention the fact that the larger engine could have completely changed the shape of the back end. That tear drop shape is killer!

Im glad ford isn't just doing the same thing over and over. Thats how things get BETTER

For the guys hating, I guess you'll just have to spend your money on another supercar.

Both of these posts are spot on. Ford doesn't have a V8 at this time that has endured as much endurance testing as this V6 which shares more with the prototypes than it does with the six in my truck.

And if they had gone with a V8 would you guys be fine with losing the entire back half design of the vehicle? Which would then mean more weight? The thing they were aiming to reduce? The S7 weighed 2750lbs at one time and that was a big car. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for the GT to be as low as 2850-2900lbs.

BIG_WINNER

Established Member

lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yea if recent reports are true, I will never buy another Mustang again. Can you imagine if the top dog Mustang was a Twin Turbo V6?

Yes. That would be awesome.

Can you imagine a 450hp TTv6 Mustang that gets 600hp out of boltons/tune? Look at the 2.3L EB, Livernois went from dyno'ing low 200's (225ish iirc) to HIGH 300's (360-375) before they stopped. That was ZERO additional modifications, completely stock down to airbox just tuning alone.

But oh yeah, it wont sound like da vee eight!

Sounds like an import?! That thing sounds ****ing pissed off. Why are people having such a hard time swallowing the pill of innovation? I love seeing all the ignorant turds on social media commenting about how they'd rather have a 500hp TTV8 over a 600hp TTV6...WHAT?!

Right? eDerps.

It's disappointing how ignorant this forum has become.

Dear God this release was a giant cluster**** on the foxbody FB pages yesterday. Every inbred backwood ignorant redneck was pounding their chest screaming about, "but it ain't got no V8 in it!" I then made this....

tyfam6x.jpg

Pretty much. I guess 300hp is ok as long as it sounds like a vee eight, but 400+hp from anything else that doesnt sound like a v8 is gay.

I would not rather have a 500hp TTV8, I would rather have a 750hp forced induction V8. The thing definitely sounds pissed off, but it sounds like a pissed off V6. I am not questioning the performance of the new GT, I'm just surprised and curious about how others feel. I think if Ford could have built a new GT with similar or better performance, but stayed more true to it's roots.

Theres obviously a reason Ford's engineers didnt put a TTv8 in that car.

And the FGT's roots are in PURE ****ING RACING, which is what this thing is designed to do. Just because the original and the earlier 00's models have a v8 doesnt mean thats the only thing that makes the vehicle.

What if at the time Fords best motor was a v6? What if the racing series at the time required a certain displacement limit?

It's an experimental car with cutting-edge technology developed from racing.......doesn't get much closer than that

Bingo.

Same here. They will balk, maybe go to a camaro (that will eventually have to drop v8 as well) and then come back. Theres more to mustangs than just the motor, and if they started seeing people getting rediculous gains from a TTv6 with just boltons, let along big fuel system/turbo setups, they would forget the v8 part in days.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can pull over 600hp, I don't car if it's a Cox .049 in the engine bay. Bigger isn't always better, unless your some GM nutswinger that thinks that there is no replacement for displacement as you pony up your Gas Guzzler tax.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member

yep. That conversation (and then conversion) happened in 1996 when Ford dumped the 5.0 for the 4.6.
"OMG, I'll never buy another Mustang! How could they do that? The 4.6 will NEVER make decent power."
A few years later... "Hey man, Check it out -- watch my Terminator eat these corvettes for breakfast...."

Users who are viewing this thread