New Ford GT a v6??? WTF

Voltwings

Established Member
Sure it is. Look at what Ford has offered in both the naturally aspirated and supercharged offerings in the last 10 years or so (not just 8 cylinders). Ford made several different displacement variations of it's Zetec, going from 2.0 to 2.3 to 2.5. HP increased with every bump in displacement. Hell, just look at the mod motor. 4.6 vs 5.4 2V or 4V with same heads/cams the 5.4 makes more power. The Cobra and Shelby used displacement to build power (both engine AND blower). Every other manufacturer did the same. Don't get me started on the LS stuff...

Yes, but you're still looking at this 1 dimensionally. In the narrow scope of your argument, you are correct; take the same engine, bump displacement a bit and naturally you get more power. However, in the grand scheme of making horsepower, displacement is not the be all - end all, and i think a lot of us here are arguing different sides of the same thing.

I'm not going around saying throw a 2.0L turbo in the GT because with enough boost anything can be fast (even though it can), hell, i traded my 500 whp turbo 4 cylinder in because i wanted just some all motor simplicity. To just say "displacement always wins, every time" is just wrong though. Look at the 3.7L V6 making the same power (or more) than the outgoing 4.6L V8... yes, DOHC vs SOHC, 4v vs 2/3v but that's exactly the point ... The replacement for displacement is technology and innovation. Now, before someone goes and says "well put that same technology into the V8 and it will be better!" Yes, we know that, a child knows that, but keep reading and understand the full scope of my argument.

Take The BMW 4.0L V8 making similar power to the Chevy ls2, Coyote... Yes, it makes a dismal 280 ft/lbs of torque, but it uses gearing to make up the difference, and barely loses to the coyote in the 1/4 which has 100 ft/lbs more. There are clever ways to get around whatever "short comings" a particular engine set up may have, and that is exactly what all of us are trying to say about the GT. In some people's minds there is only 1 way to go fast, and that is the biggest possible engine, with the most possible horsepower. On the flip side though, you can downsize the engine, which saves weight, allows a more narrow, aerodynamic body, with less material that also saves weight. Now since the rear is smaller and the overall body is lighter we can get away with less bracing and lighter suspension components, which helps. Then on top of all that the car needs less brake to perform, so that is downsized and lightened ... its a snowball affect where little things keep adding up and the end product is greater than simply a sum of its parts.

I dont think anyone here is strictly saying a v6 is better than a v8, we're just saying it is better in this particular application.

sonicblew

Established Member
^^^ this is accurate!

I love a V8,V10,V12 engine with twin turbos making 1,000 hp and sound like jet fighters. This car was just built different. Look at the ariel atom. Because its so little and light it doesn't take near the motor to get around a track faster than super cars. thats obviously on the far end of the spectrum. If the FGT can keep its weight down it can be as fast or faster than other super cars with this engine.

Im not even saying that the car is a slam dunk winner yet. Im just saying i can understand why they did what they did. If its slow around a track and sounds like total crap i won't hesitate to say they majorly screwed up. I just really think they've been on their game lately and if it drives like it looks it'll be a success!

Rct851

Established Member
^^^ this is accurate!

I love a V8,V10,V12 engine with twin turbos making 1,000 hp and sound like jet fighters. This car was just built different. Look at the ariel atom. Because its so little and light it doesn't take near the motor to get around a track faster than super cars. thats obviously on the far end of the spectrum. If the FGT can keep its weight down it can be as fast or faster than other super cars with this engine.

Im not even saying that the car is a slam dunk winner yet. Im just saying i can understand why they did what they did. If its slow around a track and sounds like total crap i won't hesitate to say they majorly screwed up. I just really think they've been on their game lately and if it drives like it looks it'll be a success!

Stop making so much sense

sonicblew

Established Member
Stop making so much sense

Lol, if only my wife knew I did!

This argument to me is like talking to some of guys with sound systems years ago where the most WATTAGE meant a system was better. The most watts doesn't mean it sounds good or better. Id rather have a top of the line system that sounds amazing with less watts than a system that just has the most watts. same thing here.

Until i see the car on a track and its extensively been compared to its competition i can't say if its better or worse. To say its a worse performer because it has a V6 is impossible. However to say you prefer a V8 regardless of performance, i can understand. Thats a personal taste and preference and I get it. Some people want certain things and that might be a deal breaker for some.

The comments below were made in Car and Driver. Take them for what its worth. I just think it answers the original thread question "New Ford GT a V6??? WTF" well this is the **** i guess

Ford is targeting the best power-to-weight ratio—of any car

When Ford's global performance vehicle chief engineer Jamal Hameedi started to tell us how his team was targeting "the best power-to-weight ratio," we figured the sentence would end with "in its class." Nope. Hameedi instead capped off the claim with "of any car on the market." Ford has yet to reveal the GT's weight, but we're expecting it to be crazy light. As for the engine, Ford promises more than 600 horsepower!

Outright speed is not Ford's priority

There's no question about it: The 2017 GT will be fast. But Ford didn't set out to grab top-speed records or acceleration honors. Instead, we're told Ford is chasing "lap times, lap times, lap times" and is seeking ultimate handling. Oh, and Ford is planning to take the GT to Le Mans in 2016—the street car partially exists for homologation reasons—and is putting Ferrari in its crosshairs.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
I will never be able to afford one of the new fgt's nor will I be driving at LeMans. But if I was to ever have one I sure don't thing a v6 would make a very good first impression vs a rumbling v8 when pulling into a car event.
What? Everyone's panties get drenched when a GTR pulls up.

And a v8 would be a packaging nightmare.

Look how damn wide a TT coyote is, and this doesn't even have the cold side yet.

15821477.jpg

Last edited:

Colby2013

Established Member
Didn't read through all the v6 arguments because that really doesn't matter to me. What I would like to know is how it will affect the older models pricing that is sky high. Anyone think it will stay high or come down substantially?

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Didn't read through all the v6 arguments because that really doesn't matter to me. What I would like to know is how it will affect the older models pricing that is sky high. Anyone think it will stay high or come down substantially?

They will go up. It seems that the older FGT is in even higher demand now since the new one is a v6.

Voltwings

Established Member

Look how damn wide a TT coyote is, and this doesn't even have the cold side yet.

15821477.jpg

THANK YOU, finally, someone else who seems to understand this.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I will have to say it sounds better than I thought it would. I would PREFER it had a V8, and I think they could have made much more power with the Trinity.

I'm actually more disappointed at this stage in the transmission than I am the motor. I HATE automatics.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah times have changed do any of the new hyper cars even offer a true manual?
I can see why for absolute best times everyone goes with the DSG and watching GTR races how much other cars loose each shift.
But for me as a toy and a car to drive for pure pleasure I'll take the .10 second loss for the fun of a manual. Just makes you feel much more involved.
I can also see the with a turbo car, traction control, etc, etc, having the computer have control over gear changes as well, less external variables.

Ryan427

Established Member

15821477.jpg

Personally I don't get the gtr bonner fest. Don't get me wrong I know it's awesome just not my cup of tea. We have a couple that come in at work but I have yet to hear a v6 that sounds as good as a v8. People expect the gtr to have a 6 cylinder. It always has, the same can't be said for the fgt.

Users who are viewing this thread