New Ford GT a v6??? WTF

steeltoe

Established Member
Those three cars are most likely going to weight 500+lbs more than the GT while offering very little hp advantage and two of them are FR layouts. The cars you should be comparing it to are the more nimble and faster Haracan and 650S.

But that would put it in the same class as the 458 and the LFA and I don't think it will be a competitive offering.

Dusten

Established Member
I haven't had time to really research it too much, but I can't help but say WTF. I had to read the article 3 times. New Ford GT with a twin turbo 6 ecoboost :dw:? Then I look at the video and it sounds like an import. I'm sure it will be crazy fast and handle like a champ, but really? I don't know, maybe it's just me...Now how does this relate to us? With the direction that ford is going, we really may have the last of the breed of the real muscle cars. This is JUST MY OPINION, but I have been infatuated with the Mustang since I was a kid and that's what it feels like to me. If ford is doing a v6 TT on the GT, this is a good indication of what's going on it their thought process for the future. I can't even get over the name "ecoboost". Makes me love my 2014 even more. What are your thoughts?

Considering you are babbling about muscles cars, and this is a purpose built super car, you're clueless.
Yea if recent reports are true, I will never buy another Mustang again. Can you imagine if the top dog Mustang was a Twin Turbo V6?
I'd love it. Flat torque curve, great weight distribution, easy to mod.
It's disappointing how ignorant this forum has become.
Agreed.
i believe they left the wastegates external ... anyone who has ever heard an external wastegate will appreciate how this beast will sound.
The tail lights are the exit for each waste gate

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
But that would put it in the same class as the 458 and the LFA and I don't think it will be a competitive offering.

Where are you pulling that from? 600+hp is still a lot and the power to weight is supposed to be among the best. How can that not possibly be competitive? I hope you're just trolling.

Voltwings

Established Member
That will neeever pass emissions. Sounds like it, but my guess that won't make production.

The wastegates will only be open at WOT, isnt emissions testing with the car sitting still? At any rate, it may be such a small amount that they can just bypass it, kind of like how motorcycles have straight pipes.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I have never viewed the gt as a muscle car, it's always been an exotic to me. Therefore the power plant isn't limited to what people view as mandatory. A mustang without a v8 option is a huge mistake, that's because it's a muscle car that is only right with a v8. There are plenty of nasty v6s out there, I think people are afraid and assume it's like a v6 camaro or v6 mustang, in the fact that it could be an economy turd.

steeltoe

Established Member
Where are you pulling that from? 600+hp is still a lot and the power to weight is supposed to be among the best. How can that not possibly be competitive? I hope you're just trolling.

I'm not trolling. Take the LFA for example great car and performance wise blows most other cars out of the water but the biggest complaint about it was, it was a $400K Lexus and picked apart because of it. So if you price the new FGT with the 458, 650S, LFA, and Huracan. It's just going to get picked apart like the LFA for being a $XXXK Ford instead of being the great car it is.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you wont get externally gated externally dumped to pass any federal standards any more than a pre-cat electric exhaust cutout would. It just wont happen. Unless the wastegate tubes have their own catalytics and muffler (which has been done before), it simply wont happen.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
The wastegates will only be open at WOT, isnt emissions testing with the car sitting still? At any rate, it may be such a small amount that they can just bypass it, kind of like how motorcycles have straight pipes.

I don't think they'll allow any part of any automobile exhaust to not go through a cat these days. Everything has to go through a cat and a O2 sensor. Pretty sure that's federal law, not sure about bikes thought they had cats too now?

As for WOT vs Idle don't think it matters since it's the OBD that monitors, no more sniffer. Around here can't just turn off monitors either, they know how many the vehicle should have.

Tbh, does a external wastegate really perform that much better than routing it back to the exhaust?

EDIT: ^^^^^ beat me too it

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I'm not trolling. Take the LFA for example great car and performance wise blows most other cars out of the water but the biggest complaint about it was, it was a $400K Lexus and picked apart because of it. So if you price the new FGT with the 458, 650S, LFA, and Huracan. It's just going to get picked apart like the LFA for being a $XXXK Ford instead of being the great car it is.

The LFA is a horrible example because it looks like a sports car and it's from Lexus who has never ventured into this category before. The LFA simply does not look or perform like a $400k car. The GT has a rich history and it's individual value is incredible. The lineage of the name is one of the most historical names in racing and automotive history and at any cost it will certainly be an instant collectors item. I can't stress enough of how much more unique the GT name is than any of the cars the other brands have out to compete with it. They are all built in much larger numbers.

steeltoe

Established Member
I see this car being on par with the Huracan, 458 and 650S in terms of performance.
Maybe but even if it was a street legal Daytona Prototype I won't pay $400K for it.
The LFA is a horrible example because it looks like a sports car and it's from Lexus who has never ventured into this category before. The LFA simply does not look or perform like a $400k car. The GT has a rich history and it's individual value is incredible. The lineage of the name is one of the most historical names in racing and automotive history and at any cost it will certainly be an instant collectors item. I can't stress enough of how much more unique the GT name is than any of the cars the other brands have out to compete with it. They are all built in much larger numbers.

That's right I forgot Toyota has never raced or built sports cars......
WRC and Le Mans http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motorsport_GmbH
F1 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Racing
Super GT http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_GT

Then who won all those races and championships............

GTFO with Toyota doesn't have history.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member

I disagree regarding the LFA, I think it looks (and sounds) plenty exotic. Especially on the inside. And I know 'Ring times don't mean much but it did lap it in 7:14 which is fast for a car of any price. I feel like over a certain price point you can't really go by performance per dollar anyway because it's not about that, it's about prestige and exclusivity which are things a lot of folks didn't feel like a Lexus could have. Sales proved them wrong though as they were sold out pretty much right away.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Maybe but even if it was a street legal Daytona Prototype I won't pay $400K for it.

That's right I forgot Toyota has never raced or built sports cars......
WRC and Le Mans http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motorsport_GmbH
F1 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Racing
Super GT http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_GT

Then who won all those races and championships............

GTFO with Toyota doesn't have history.

And how many $400k Toyotas have they sold off the showroom floor recently? Ever? Lexus is Toyota but they still don't have a history of selling big dollar cars nor do they have the racing history that Ford does. Or at least not a history with a story line the automotive world cares about outside of the Japanese.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I disagree regarding the LFA, I think it looks (and sounds) plenty exotic. Especially on the inside. And I know 'Ring times don't mean much but it did lap it in 7:14 which is fast for a car of any price. I feel like over a certain price point you can't really go by performance per dollar anyway because it's not about that, it's about prestige and exclusivity which are things a lot of folks didn't feel like a Lexus could have. Sales proved them wrong though as they were sold out pretty much right away.

Do you think it looks more exotic than any GT/GT40 made? Or does it look more like a modern iteration of a Supra?

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member

Oh I'm not saying I would. The GT shouldn't be anywhere near $400k. Based on the original GTs price of $140-150k, I'm expecting this one to cost $180-200k. Just a hunch.

steeltoe

Established Member
I don't think it going to be able to compete with a $180K 911 Turbo S, $200K AMG GT or the F12. I don't think it will stack up will against them. The F Type R is a very competitive car in that $100K-$150K class.

Oh I'm not saying I would. The GT shouldn't be anywhere near $400k. Based on the original GTs price of $140-150k, I'm expecting this one to cost $180-200k. Just a hunch.
The 04-06 FGT was $130Kish for a 4 option heritage car. They should stay in that price range.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id imagine $160-180k range to be honest. If it wasnt made of mostly CF materials id say sure at $130k.

Unless theyre planning on building 5-8k of them to really help amortize R&D costs.

Users who are viewing this thread