Need 1911 Advice

nxhappy

Established Member
For the sake of 1911’s, one I held and liked was the Rock Island Armory that uses 22 TCM. Is it true that round can penetrate body armor?

Looks like you can pick them up for less than $800 depending on the model.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic/22-tcm.do

Pretty heavy pistol, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the RI 45 acp years and years ago. It's been a ****in trooper. Never jams, very accurate, very heavy like a 1911 should be. It's not a carry weapon. It's a HG that will blow someone away when you need it. I will say, if anyone wants a 1911, get a 45acp. You want the power and the punch. Again, this platform is not for carry...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Are you telling me what my comments were toward? Man, now SVTP has psychics!

It doesn't take a psychic to read what you wrote lol.

Grabber said:
Why do gun manufactures make guns without safety, in particular, common carry guns like the PPS, shield, bodyguard, etc. just curious of your personal opinion on this.

All guns have some sort of safety. Ones without a thumb safety will have a trigger safety, decocker, etc.

Grabber said:
Yes, you can draw and disengage the safety. Takes training and the “average joe” that only wants a firearm to CC won’t train over and over and over.

But they should. It's just best not to paint with such a broad brush.

Grabber said:
My comments were in general, not toward 1911’s specifically. Only mentioned them in passing based what I was told. Nothing more.

It might not have been specific to a 1911 but didn't exclude them either. When asked specifically about carrying in condition 0 you said yes and also said you'd carry the 938 that way. Correct?

Grabber said:
$550 is not bad. I don’t really trust gun auctions and such.

Curious why you wouldn't trust auction sites?

Grabber said:
Sig has a deal that expires October 15th for 2 extra mags and a bag. Pretty cool.

Free stuff rules!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Fair enough.

I'm here to learn and get other opinions. I just tossed out my thoughts, maybe too early, which came off as "bad advice"

Oh, TGIF!

:beer:
Don't think that telling people to carry concealed with the safety off is bad advice, it just differs with some others opinion in here..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
And not even shooters, as in SWAT or CQB shooters carry with the safety off while holstered, that's idiotic. There's very clearly written guidelines for carrying pistols. In the holster, safety is always on, but as soon as it comes out of the holster you go safety off and it stays off, even while in a stack. Nowhere in the military is safety off in the holster taught and you would be promplty removed from any course if that is how you try to carry. I carry condition one and my pistol has no safety except for a trigger safety, but that is a sufficient safety as you still have to engage the trigger a specific way to make it fire. If it's a 1911 and you carry that way then you are wrong and anyone who taught you that is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Damm then who are all these people buying compact striker fired handguns that don't have safeties and their using them for concealed carry? No safety Shield's are more often out of stock at online retailers than with it. Tons of people are buying them if it's right that's up for interpretation...

Brutal Metal

Established Member

All guns have some sort of safety. Ones without a thumb safety will have a trigger safety, decocker, etc.
By trigger safety do you mean trigger guard? If so yes the S&W Shield has one of those, thumb safety (on some models)? NOPE, Decocker? NOPE, Grip safety like the XD? NOPE...

nxhappy

Established Member
Meh. safeties are for pussies. I never use them. Be smart, you won't need one.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member

But they should. It's just best not to paint with such a broad brush.

It might not have been specific to a 1911 but didn't exclude them either. When asked specifically about carrying in condition 0 you said yes and also said you'd carry the 938 that way. Correct?

Curious why you wouldn't trust auction sites?

Free stuff rules!

Mainly, I was referring to me and mentioned 1911’s in general. Sure, the P938 is 1911 based. The safety is actually difficult on it for one main reason. The pistol is so small, my hand is bigger than it in its entirety. At the range, trying to one hand it with my thumb, the safety lever is small and super stiff. Sure this could probably change over time.

As far as auctions, I’ve been burned buying things and when it comes to firearms, I don’t want to potentially buy a gun that could have been used and I have issues with it.

Free stuff is great! I’m registering to get it as soon as I pick up my P938. Ends the 15th I believe.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yes it's hinged but it still has a pretty damm soft trigger pull, wouldn't classify that as a safety.

But it is. It operates just like the trigger safety on a Glock.

Mainly, I was referring to me and mentioned 1911’s in general. Sure, the P938 is 1911 based. The safety is actually difficult on it for one main reason. The pistol is so small, my hand is bigger than it in its entirety. At the range, trying to one hand it with my thumb, the safety lever is small and super stiff. Sure this could probably change over time.

As far as auctions, I’ve been burned buying things and when it comes to firearms, I don’t want to potentially buy a gun that could have been used and I have issues with it.

Free stuff is great! I’m registering to get it as soon as I pick up my P938. Ends the 15th I believe.

There are tons of high volume reputable gun stores on Gunbroker. I only buy from highly rated ones and never had an issue. Great deals to be had on there.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

Maybe that gun isn’t for you then. You might be happier with a single stack striker fired pistol.
My dad has a 938 and I’ve put hundreds of rounds through it. It’s a nice gun as it’s basically the same size as a 238 but it’s small in my hands too. I might eventually get one but my carry 9mm is an H&K p30sk.

Sirraf

Established Member
I actually went last night and took a look/feel of a few 1911's, and while looking I stumbled upon a Walther PPQ .45. Even though it isn't a 1911, that Walther is a nice freakin pistol. Their ergo's are awesome. Decisions decisions.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Meh. safeties are for pussies. I never use them. Be smart, you won't need one.

maxresdefault.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
But it is. It operates just like the trigger safety on a Glock.

There are tons of high volume reputable gun stores on Gunbroker. I only buy from highly rated ones and never had an issue. Great deals to be had on there.
I agree. I bought my Performance Center Shield on Gunbroker with no issue, and I browse them occasionally. Some great deals can be found there.

Same advice about buying from highly rated sellers applies on eBay.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Damm then who are all these people buying compact striker fired handguns that don't have safeties and their using them for concealed carry? No safety Shield's are more often out of stock at online retailers than with it. Tons of people are buying them if it's right that's up for interpretation...
I carry an M&P9 with an Apex trigger. The trigger guard is enough to not need a safety in the holster, but what is dumb is carrying a pistol like the 1911 with one in the chamber and safety off.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread