Need 1911 Advice

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sorry, I forgot. This is SVTP. All of you make Massad Ayoob look like a fool when it comes to handling guns.

My buddy Fred who passed away actually tied him in a competition during one of Massad's courses, and I outshot Fred at one point. So by deductive reasoning, yes we could lol. Im kidding of course, except the shooting part, that is all true. Massad is a very skilled shooter.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CO Mack

Established Member
A 1911 (or its little cousin Sig P938) carried Condition 0 is a good way to kill yourself or someone you love.

If your draw and time to first shot are changed by manipulating the safety, you do not have the skills to safely carry condition 0. If you have the skills to manipulate the safety during the draw, then there's no reason to carry condition 0.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Here, this was my original post regarding the safety.

Can you please tell me where I said specifically 1911's? I was speaking from a general standpoint, since people that CCW, don't carry the largest handgun possible.

You deleting my post on a forum doesn't really hurt me, or will make me lose sleep.

Luckily for you, I won't be joining your forum.

Again, assume away all you'd like about how you took my post.

Maybe on a 1911 you keep the safety on. On small micro-compacts and pistols like Walther PPQ's, PPS, Glock 43's, etc. A lot of people carry them with the safety off.

Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

If you're concealing, you should have it locked/loaded with the safety off. The holster prevents you from accidentally hitting the trigger unless the gun is withdrawn. Then again, you should also be indexing your finger to prevent an accidental discharge. If you cannot manage that, you either need more training or just stop carrying. Not meant as a negative comment, but, I've heard from various instructors that 1911's are easy to shoot and holster/draw from a holster.
That’s the issue. You’re talking about firearm condition readiness with different types of pistols and lumping it all together. For striker-fire carriers who feel confident in their carry abilities, Condition 0 is common.

For those who carry 1911 variants or SA/DA pistols, Condition 1 or 2 is extremely common.

Also what is “locked and loaded” have to do with handguns?

I’ll assume you mean to say cocked and loaded.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I also have the Ruger SR1911. Great gun for the price. I've shot about 1000 rounds out of it with zero failures. Not a gun I would everyday carry though, that's what I got the Sig P938 for.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Also if your military instructor is advising you to carry a sig p938 in condition 0 then he should have his credentials revoked. If he is not advising you to do that and you’re just doing it on your own then you are at risk of shooting yourself, your family or a total stranger so let me know when you are coming up to Massachusetts so I can stay as far away as possible from you.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Heres my SR1911, new grips, mainspring housing, extended magwell, and a little trigger work so the trigger is about 4 pounds.

1911grips2_zpsewelpwzz.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
And not even shooters, as in SWAT or CQB shooters carry with the safety off while holstered, that's idiotic. There's very clearly written guidelines for carrying pistols. In the holster, safety is always on, but as soon as it comes out of the holster you go safety off and it stays off, even while in a stack. Nowhere in the military is safety off in the holster taught and you would be promplty removed from any course if that is how you try to carry. I carry condition one and my pistol has no safety except for a trigger safety, but that is a sufficient safety as you still have to engage the trigger a specific way to make it fire. If it's a 1911 and you carry that way then you are wrong and anyone who taught you that is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I think a certain enthusiastic poster has recognized the confusion that was caused earlier, and relented. His comments weren't necessarily referring to carrying 1911s and their variants in condition 0.

Blown 89

Established Member
Sorry, I forgot. This is SVTP. All of you make Massad Ayoob look like a fool when it comes to handling guns.
I've never heard of Massad Ayoob but unless he's slowing down for the video on purpose......

Some Friday entertainment for y'all:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
could you show where I can get a P938 reasonably priced? Sig stuff always breaks the bank

I got mine on Gunbroker for $550. Took me a little bit before the deal popped up but they do.

Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

You can draw while disengaging the safety.

This is personal preference and opinion, so, before you guys try to act as if this is a fact that the safety should always be on, note that this comes down to the user and how comfortable they are.

Then why say the safety should be off?

I think a certain enthusiastic poster has recognized the confusion that was caused earlier, and relented. His comments weren't necessarily referring to carrying 1911s and their variants in condition 0.

Actually yes they were.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm skipping on all the retarded commentary. All I can say is for a 1911, Springfield has their shit figured out and a model for every person in essentially any price range. Great thing about a 1911 is the ability to buy on the low end and improve as money comes along, though it does cost more in the long run.

Personally, I like a Range Officer Compact in 9mm. A little less than 6oz more than my G19, feels fantastic and doesn't break the bank. Practice, practice, practice how you're going to carry.

FWIW, I had a flawless Kimber Custom but that was before they moved to Yonkers...wouldn't touch anything of theirs from the past 15 years or so. Had a Colt Defender in 9mm as well, was finicky with certain ammo and had to adjust the extractor to reliably eject.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I got mine on Gunbroker for $550. Took me a little bit before the deal popped up but they do.

You can draw while disengaging the safety.

Then why say the safety should be off?

Actually yes they were.

Are you telling me what my comments were toward? Man, now SVTP has psychics!

Why do gun manufactures make guns without safety, in particular, common carry guns like the PPS, shield, bodyguard, etc. just curious of your personal opinion on this.

Yes, you can draw and disengage the safety. Takes training and the “average joe” that only wants a firearm to CC won’t train over and over and over.

My comments were in general, not toward 1911’s specifically. Only mentioned them in passing based what I was told. Nothing more.

$550 is not bad. I don’t really trust gun auctions and such.

Sig has a deal that expires October 15th for 2 extra mags and a bag. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread