Need 1911 Advice

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
How about a 2011?

6497349a5e7d9688671f642720858b09.jpg

5de9ea32b45f0074cde7fc1e18319270.jpg
ec56a1f939548ddc39d293ac713e2064.jpg
2cd5006e339f41703c1127eeeee84c0b.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Op, no matter what anyone recommends, you are going to get the pistol YOU like and what's more comfortable for YOU. Instead of giving advice on what to get, I'm going to offer a little on what to do with it once you do....
TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.
Take it to the range and practice with different shooting scenarios, i.e. Quick firing, multiple targets, etc.. anyone can stand 10 feet from a piece of paper and use a slow steady aim and hit. But be honest with yourself; If you ever had to use it in the situation you're carrying it for, it will never ever be that controlled or slow.
Dry fire at home(triple check the weapon is clear). Practice drawing from your waist and pointing at a target as quickly as you can. Try with a shirt over it and jacket. The more you train with it the more apparent if it will work for your needs it will become. You can spend twenty minutes at home each day building muscle memory and equal the benifits of your best range day.
When it comes to carry guns a lot of people want a gun that "looks cool". This should be an afterthought. Pick the one you can hastily draw, have a good handle on, that doesn't snag on your clothes, and you can efficiently use.
There are an infinite number of scenarios that you may need it for. Whether it be a longer distance shot, quick draw and fire from the hip, car jacking, whatever... prepare yourself the best you can and pick the tool you do it best with.
I will end with a phrase I coined, "People who want to carry guns, carry 1911's. People who have to carry guns, carry Glocks" : )~

MeanO3

Established Member
I just ordered myself a full size sig 1911 nickel and it cost me 900 bucks but it's a $12xx.xx gun at msrp. I feel like spending 800 on a 1911 means you have to go used or you're sacrificing quality. Spending 800 on a 357 sounds more realistic than on a 1911. Also try gunbroker.com it's basically eBay for guns. Depending on your state it's an awesome place to find great guns for even better prices. Just picked up a sig p250 for $299.99 as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Love my Sig 1911
(Nightmare carry .45acp)

Has a shorter barrel 4.2" and the bobtail grip which makes a huge difference in carrying/imprinting a full size 1911 . They are bigger guns but they are also thinner than most of the double stacked handguns I've used, so you can carry differently.
It's a joy to fire...
8feeaab814aab359fdbc7e148a6891c6.jpg
f6780fac29376af491ef999d4359ab19.jpg

Sent from my Note8

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Springfield Range Officer 1911. Best bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Springfield Range Officer 1911. Best bang for the buck.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
That is the fact jack, and fits the OP's budget. magwell and walnut grips are added

View attachment 1436488

Beautiful pistol sir! I love them, and I don’t even own one. Lol. I have several friends that do and shot them several times. They should cost more than what they do for the accuracy and finish you get.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Beautiful pistol sir! I love them, and I don’t even own one. Lol. I have several friends that do and shot them several times. They should cost more than what they do for the accuracy and finish you get.

And came with a 4lb trigger right out of the box. You can get them blued of course, and a couple of other combinations of sights. I wanted the front fiber sight and rear Bomar style for matches.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
STI builds great stuff. They were just a few minutes north from where I used to live. Do you shoot 3 gun or any competition stuff with that 2011?
No I just shoot my stuff at the range. Because I’m into boating I really don’t have time to shoot from may until mid October. Plus I go to the gym everyday after work. I start shooting again soon and it will take me time to get the rust out.

tistan

Established Member
I actually went last night and took a look/feel of a few 1911's, and while looking I stumbled upon a Walther PPQ .45. Even though it isn't a 1911, that Walther is a nice freakin pistol. Their ergo's are awesome. Decisions decisions.
I bought a 9mm Walther once because I liked how it fit my hand. At 15 yards shooting off a sand bag my groups were 10-15 inches and spread all over the target. That was the most inaccurate gun I ever owned. I traded it in after 2 months for a Springfield 1911.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I bought a 9mm Walther once because I liked how it fit my hand. At 15 yards shooting off a sand bag my groups were 10-15 inches and spread all over the target. That was the most inaccurate gun I ever owned. I traded it in after 2 months for a Springfield 1911.
This is a good point in general. It has been my experience that no matter how long I stand at a gun counter trying grips and triggers, no matter how good a gun feels in my hand it is not a very good predictor of how well I'll soot it. I hate Glocks, but they are all I shoot now, for the most part. LOL

nxhappy

Established Member
if you can, go to the range and rent some HGs. You will find out real quick what you can shoot the best.

RobH

Established Member
Save the money up and buy a Wilson combat. Sold both my Colt and Kimber to get my Wilson. Will never spend the money on any other 1911.

Professional 4.0, 9mm. Easy to carry and is a tac driver.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread