Need 1911 Advice

Blown 89

Established Member
If you do in fact train to do so, how quickly can you draw your firearm, release the safety, acquire your target and fire two rounds?
My thumb rides the safety the moment my hand is on the firearm...it's where it rests coming off the beaver tail. I can click it off in the holster if I want to. I used to shoot IDPA twice a week....I haven't since my son was born last July and I can tell you safeties don't slow anyone's presentation down.

The safety on my SR-9....that's a different story. It's a little tiny, difficult to engage pain in the ass. I have a feeling that type of safety is what you're comparing them to. The safeties on my Colts are massive paddles that are impossible to miss. I actually cut mine down and made them smaller on one of them.

_Snake_

Established Member
If you do in fact train to do so, how quickly can you draw your firearm, release the safety, acquire your target and fire two rounds?

Back when I was more proficient, I was consistently 1.4x seconds to get the first round out. That's when the timer stops recording, so I can't comment on the second round.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I used to shoot IDPA twice a week...I haven't since my son was born...

Thread derail. I just got my two out of the house. I've only missed maybe 4 Saturdays in the past 18 months shooting IDPA. It has to be the most fun I can have with my pants on.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
"I am prior military. Extensive marksmanship knowledge is a bit subjective, but I know enough to get by...I have 2 different striker fire carry pistols (XDs-9 and an FNS-9) Don't like either. There is a fine line between carry guns, and guns that are enjoyable to shoot. I haven't found a small frame carry pistol that I also enjoy shooting. Thus, why I am considering a 1911. I carried the M9 for several years in the military, so I am not a stranger to double action heavy metal frame pistols. I am starting to think that a prefer a bit of weight on my pistols. Also helps with balance when firing in my opinion."

Okay cool. Just wanted to see what your situation looked like. Im the same way in that I like carrying a full size and dont mind the extra weight. I have the same background as you as well as doing instructing on the side, but I know where you are coming from. Given that, I would never personally carry a 1911 strictly because of round capacity. I love 1911s but for what it is I just find it impractical because of that factor. But we all have different needs and live in different areas so you know what is best for you.

I always just advise carrying a full size 9mm, or something with at least 15 rounds or greater.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

If you're concealing, you should have it locked/loaded with the safety off. The holster prevents you from accidentally hitting the trigger unless the gun is withdrawn. Then again, you should also be indexing your finger to prevent an accidental discharge. If you cannot manage that, you either need more training or just stop carrying. Not meant as a negative comment, but, I've heard from various instructors that 1911's are easy to shoot and holster/draw from a holster.

Especially considering that most 1911's have a harder trigger pull, unless otherwise modified, compared to a striker fired pistol, such as a glock. So, it should be a bit more difficult for accidental discharge on 1911's vs a glock, M&P, etc.
Are you actually telling people in here with 1911 variants or SA/DA pistols to carry in condition 0?

Blown 89

Established Member
Thread derail. I just got my two out of the house. I've only missed maybe 4 Saturdays in the past 18 months shooting IDPA.
I have a friend that has shot his entire life and actually got me into firearms. I set up a mini practical course for him in private bay at the outdoor range along with some tree racing type setups. His words were, "You just ruined firearms for me" meaning he could never go back to lane shooting like everyone else LOL.

It has to be the most fun I can have with my pants on.
We need to have a

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I was just over on the Carolina gun forum that I help moderate and said, "Hey y'all, guess what they are arguing about over on the Ford SVT forum."
"1911's."
lol

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Are you actually telling people in here with 1911 variants or SA/DA pistols to carry in condition 0?

Personal preference.

I would most likely carry with the safety off. A lot of people do so as well. A lot of people do not, as discussed in this thread.

Everyone is a big boy here, do what makes you feel comfortable/safe. Best advice I can give.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Personal preference.

I would most likely carry with the safety off. A lot of people do so as well. A lot of people do not, as discussed in this thread.

Everyone is a big boy here, do what makes you feel comfortable/safe. Best advice I can give.
Edit: never mind

do what you want. Just post a video when you do.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
With a 1911? Patently false. You need to just stop.

What do you mean, with a 1911?

I'll be carrying a Sig Sauer P938, which is 1911 based and will be concealed in my pocket.

Sorry, I forgot. This is SVTP. All of you make Massad Ayoob look like a fool when it comes to handling guns.

You should stop, and accept the fact that I have my opinion, in which I have not pushed on anyone. Yet, you feel the need to keep telling me my opinion and preference is wrong.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member

I'll be carrying a Sig Sauer P938, which is 1911 based and will be concealed in my pocket.

Sorry, I forgot. This is SVTP. All of you make Massad Ayoob look like a fool when it comes to handling guns.

You should stop, and accept the fact that I have my opinion, in which I have not pushed on anyone. Yet, you feel the need to keep telling me my opinion and preference is wrong.
If you posted your ill informed advice on my gun forum, I'd delete the post.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Edit: never mind

do what you want. Just post a video when you do.

If you posted your ill informed advice on my gun forum, I'd delete the post.

Here, this was my original post regarding the safety.

Can you please tell me where I said specifically 1911's? I was speaking from a general standpoint, since people that CCW, don't carry the largest handgun possible.

You deleting my post on a forum doesn't really hurt me, or will make me lose sleep.

Luckily for you, I won't be joining your forum.

Again, assume away all you'd like about how you took my post.

Maybe on a 1911 you keep the safety on. On small micro-compacts and pistols like Walther PPQ's, PPS, Glock 43's, etc. A lot of people carry them with the safety off.

Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

If you're concealing, you should have it locked/loaded with the safety off. The holster prevents you from accidentally hitting the trigger unless the gun is withdrawn. Then again, you should also be indexing your finger to prevent an accidental discharge. If you cannot manage that, you either need more training or just stop carrying. Not meant as a negative comment, but, I've heard from various instructors that 1911's are easy to shoot and holster/draw from a holster.

_Snake_

Established Member

You’re providing bad advice from limited experience. That’s where the problem lies.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
@OETKB

Here is a super stupid article.

http://concealednation.org/2016/04/are-manual-safeties-good-or-bad-for-concealed-carry/

One more.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/safeties-yay-nay/

Basically, for the average CCW holder (Myself, which I was speaking of) having the safety on could be a huge disadvantage and cause more harm than good.

Again, I wasn't speaking to disrespect anyone, undermine anyone's knowledge/experience or inflate my own, which is very little. I was simply stating my preference, my weapon of choice and preference on carrying it.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
@OETKB

Here is a super stupid article.

http://concealednation.org/2016/04/are-manual-safeties-good-or-bad-for-concealed-carry/

One more.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/safeties-yay-nay/

Basically, for the average CCW holder (Myself, which I was speaking of) having the safety on could be a huge disadvantage and cause more harm than good.

Again, I wasn't speaking to disrespect anyone, undermine anyone's knowledge/experience or inflate my own, which is very little. I was simply stating my preference, my weapon of choice and preference on carrying it.
It's all good. If a bunch of guys can't argue about cars and guns, what the heck would we do on the weekends. lol

Users who are viewing this thread