Need 1911 Advice

tistan

Established Member
I get that it takes some effort to shoot, but, I do not think it is too bad.

I enjoyed pumping 50 rounds through it and didn't feel like it took too much effort or out of me to do so.

I paid $675 plus tax for a brand new one locally.

Gunprodeals, Targetsportsusa, etc.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/firearms/brand/SIG-SAUER/of3/9-MM

Also, check out gunbroker too. Can be had new for less than $650 plus a small shipping fee.

There is also a deal with sig now, where you get two mags and a bag if you buy a specific firearm, some exclusions.
Mine came from the factory with hogue grips and tritium sits and I bought it at the gun show a couple years ago for around $700.

It isn't a bad gun to shoot. I have had kahr arms in .40 and that was a little firecracker in your hand. Sometimes I target practice at 25 yards, and I am amazed that such a small gun can shoot so accurately. If I were to purchase a p938 again, I would get a stainless model. It stays in my truck a good bit and just the humidity here in the south causes some rust if I forget to oil it up.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Another thing that bears mentioning is if your are indeed carrying a 1911 for
defense you need to be disciplined in handling it. It can go bang sooner than you want it to if your finger gets on that trigger in a high stress situtation. While often considered to be more accurate just because of the 1911 trigger alone, it will be less forgiving in that regard than a striker fired pistol (think Glock) or double action handgun (think revolver)

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Because if you forget the safety on and/or lack a proper grip (for the grip safety), you can die since it wont fire.

Unlike a glock.
I'm in this camp as well. I've shot 1911's and striker fire competitively. While I love the accuracy I find with my 1911's there is more for my old feeble brain to process. I only carry and compete with striker fired pistols with no manual safety now. That said, there are those who train with 1911's and are consistently "deadly" in a match.

Me? I had too many accidental discharges over a period of months shooting matches every weekend and had to put my 1911s down.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

If you're concealing, you should have it locked/loaded with the safety off. The holster prevents you from accidentally hitting the trigger unless the gun is withdrawn. Then again, you should also be indexing your finger to prevent an accidental discharge. If you cannot manage that, you either need more training or just stop carrying. Not meant as a negative comment, but, I've heard from various instructors that 1911's are easy to shoot and holster/draw from a holster.

Especially considering that most 1911's have a harder trigger pull, unless otherwise modified, compared to a striker fired pistol, such as a glock. So, it should be a bit more difficult for accidental discharge on 1911's vs a glock, M&P, etc.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I carried a 1911 Dan Wesson Valor (commander length) for a while. While I could conceal fine, in the winter, with an IWB (Crossbreed) holster IT did weigh a ton. lol. After 10 hours of carrying...

Now my EDC is a S&W Shield in 45. No safety. Lightweight. I'm not as accurate with it as my 1911 but, as other's have said, I'd rather carry a light gun everyday rather than a heavy gun sometimes.

The 1911's shoot beautifully though. Great recoil, easy follow up, amazing triggers, etc. Keep one for your car or nightstand. Keep a plastic fantastic for EDC.

tistan

Established Member
OP, I was looking at buying a 1911 in 9mm a couple months ago. After doing much research, I ended up with this http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-tactical-urban-grey-suppressor-ready/. It holds 18 rounds in the magazine, and it is a full frame gun. It weighs about the same as a 1911. This is one sweet shooting gun. Every time I take it out at the range everyone wants to try it out. It is an amazing shooting gun. Only downside is the trigger, which I plan on having worked on soon.

Blown 89

Established Member
Just tell the person that is forcing you to draw your weapon "Hey, timeout. I need to get the safety off on my concealed firearm."

If you're concealing, you should have it locked/loaded with the safety off. The holster prevents you from accidentally hitting the trigger unless the gun is withdrawn. Then again, you should also be indexing your finger to prevent an accidental discharge. If you cannot manage that, you either need more training or just stop carrying. Not meant as a negative comment, but, I've heard from various instructors that 1911's are easy to shoot and holster/draw from a holster.

Especially considering that most 1911's have a harder trigger pull, unless otherwise modified, compared to a striker fired pistol, such as a glock. So, it should be a bit more difficult for accidental discharge on 1911's vs a glock, M&P, etc.
Jesus Christ, the firearms threads on this forum get stupid. OP, do yourself a favor and go to https://forums.1911forum.com/ or Brian Enos' forums and ask your questions there.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Are you going to ask the criminal for a moment to un-holster your firearm and disengage your safety so it is fair?

All encounters happen within 5 feet. Average person can cover 21 feet and get to you within 1.5 seconds. Are you both John Wayne or Bob Munden? Highly doubt that folks.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Every second matters in an encounter and when the panic sets in, and your firearm is on safety and you try to fire, good luck to you.

Again, unless you've TRAINED to the point where you can draw your firearm from your holster, disengage the safety and target the threat, you're probably not going to be able to react in time.

Some safety's are very easy to use. Some require more effort than others. This is personal preference and opinion, so, before you guys try to act as if this is a fact that the safety should always be on, note that this comes down to the user and how comfortable they are.

Blown 89

Established Member
Are you going to ask the criminal for a moment to un-holster your firearm and disengage your safety so it is fair?

All encounters happen within 5 feet. Average person can cover 21 feet and get to you within 1.5 seconds. Are you both John Wayne or Bob Munden? Highly doubt that folks.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Every second matters in an encounter and when the panic sets in, and your firearm is on safety and you try to fire, good luck to you.

Again, unless you've TRAINED to the point where you can draw your firearm from your holster, disengage the safety and target the threat, you're probably not going to be able to react in time.

Some safety's are very easy to use. Some require more effort than others. This is personal preference and opinion, so, before you guys try to act as if this is a fact that the safety should always be on, note that this comes down to the user and how comfortable they are.
1) 1911's don't have heavy triggers. Springfields ship in the 5-6 range, Kimbers are slightly lower in the 4-5 lb range. My colts were 6.6 and 7 out of the box (before break-in). Glocks ship with a 5.5 lb trigger. FNS-9, 7-8 lb, my SR-9 8 lbs (after break-in), M&P 6-7 lb. So yes, I will act as if what your saying isn't factually accurate.

2) You're telling everyone that in a stress situation you might not disengage the safety but it goes against you as well, you may panic and shoot yourself in the leg. Pot, Kettle, Black. Get off your high horse.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
1) 1911's don't have heavy triggers. Springfields ship in the 5-6 range, Kimbers are slightly lower in the 4-5 lb range. My colts were 6.6 and 7 out of the box (before break-in). Glocks ship with a 5.5 lb trigger. FNS-9, 7-8 lb, my SR-9 8 lbs (after break-in), M&P 6-7 lb. So yes, I will act as if what your saying isn't factually accurate.

2) You're telling everyone that in a stress situation you might not disengage the safety but it goes against you as well, you may panic and shoot yourself in the leg. Pot, Kettle, Black. Get off your high horse.

Haha.

Not on a high horse by any means. I'm fresh out of CCW training with my wife and the instructor is ex military, involved in about a dozen pistol leagues and competitions, and has been in situations where having a safety on could determine if you live or die.

Sure, this applies to me as well. But, I know for a fact what I, ME, would do. I will NOT have the safety on. That is me, my personal preference.

A proper holster, prevents the gun from firing and acts as your safety. Your safety is also how you handle the gun. There are plenty of idiots that draw and draw by the trigger, which could cause accidental discharge.

Again, the time it takes for someone to get close to you is proven by the NRA and other various sources. In that time, unless you're properly trained and can draw faster and disengage a safety on a firearm and fire, it may not end well for you.

Are you against keeping one in the chamber too?

Blown 89

Established Member
Haha.

Not on a high horse by any means. I'm fresh out of CCW training with my wife and the instructor is ex military, involved in about a dozen pistol leagues and competitions, and has been in situations where having a safety on could determine if you live or die.
Oh shit. Ex Millitary. That changes everything. I have a tip for you.....they all are. Either ex military, ex CIA, ex marine snipers, etc, etc, etc. Any time firearms are involved everyone's embellished credentials come out....and they usually suck.

Are you against keeping one in the chamber too?
I actually keep all of my ammo in my left pocket and the magazines empty on my belt. I train to load all 15 rounds, pop that sucker in, rack the slide, then defend myself.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Oh shit. Ex Millitary. That changes everything. I have a tip for you.....they all are. Either ex military, ex CIA, ex marine snipers, etc, etc, etc. Any time firearms are involved everyone's embellished credentials come out....and they usually suck.

I actually keep all of my ammo in my left pocket and the magazines empty on my belt. I train to load all 15 rounds, pop that sucker in, rack the slide, then defend myself.

If you do in fact train to do so, how quickly can you draw your firearm, release the safety, acquire your target and fire two rounds?

Sure, they all are, but, I can bet my butt these guys are a bit different. They run leagues daily between their indoor/outdoor ranges, are involved in various competitions, etc. Just a fun fact that has no relevance, but, only to use for your imagination.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I applaud anyone who gets their carry permit. That said, it is the beginning of the journey to being prepared to defend yourself and yours, not the end. In my state it is at best a bare bones minimum of firearms knowledge and tactics even though it is an 8 hour affair, with test. It is literally just enough to make you dangerous, and I don't mean that in a good way.

If you're going to carry a firearm, learn how to use it properly. Spend a little dough on training. You'll have a good time, and meet some other like minded folks.

_Snake_

Established Member
I'm fresh out of CCW training......

And this explains everything. For ****'s sake stop posting your nonsense. Not only is it inaccurate, but it's dangerous.

My creds? :) 11 years in the Marines, OIF vet, and close to a dozen advanced shooting schools including multiple concealed carry classes. I've held CCW permits for 24 years across PA, VA, OK, NC, DE, and FL. But congrats on completing your training.

Yes, you should carry your weapon with the safety on. Taking the safety off should be one of the steps when drawing and presenting your weapon.

Sirraf

Established Member
Op, do you have pretty extensive marksmanship knowledge and are used to carrying?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I am prior military. Extensive marksmanship knowledge is a bit subjective, but I know enough to get by...I have 2 different striker fire carry pistols (XDs-9 and an FNS-9) Don't like either. There is a fine line between carry guns, and guns that are enjoyable to shoot. I haven't found a small frame carry pistol that I also enjoy shooting. Thus, why I am considering a 1911. I carried the M9 for several years in the military, so I am not a stranger to double action heavy metal frame pistols. I am starting to think that a prefer a bit of weight on my pistols. Also helps with balance when firing in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread