N/A 4v build

jmichalicek

Established Member
Good news about the meth. I did some googling, but found very little... a few people in Va talking about buying it in bulk on a forum and worrying that they wouldn't be able to anymore soon and that's about it. I'll have to dig a bit more, though, I wasn't looking too hard since meth time is still quite a ways off. My car is nowhere near needing it right now, I'm just looking at options for the future.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
when you pull timing you lose power

You're right, you do sacrifice power when you pull timing. But when you're just cruising at part throttle, power isn't the primary concern. But you can set up the tune to get more aggressive with the timing when power is a primary concern. And when that happens, you can set up the meth to kick in.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
11:1 CR is about all you can run if you have 93 octane available.
Is running 1 point higher really worth all the meth crap?
Meth ain't free either.
Ever see a piston that saw its life used with meth?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I don't know, is it? With proper tuning, I'm sure you could push the compression a bit higher.. But I know what you mean, I wouldn't want to push it.

This thread is about a N/A 4V build. Of course there are more effective modifications, but without the luxury of a blower or other power adder in the N/A world, every little bit counts! Especially if all other areas such as ported heads, cams, intake, etc. have been utilized. N/A people are fun like that... looking for power in all sorts of areas no matter the cost.. lightening cams, shaving the crank to reduce windage, etc. etc. etc. It's an art form. Every little bit counts. I call it being an "N/A-ophile". Audiophiles do the same thing with their stereos!

Homer

Props to them, for finding horsepower friends in low places.

Dave_6

Established Member
Ask John how much his stock cammed motor made with an FR500 intake...over 400rwhp. It also powered a 3400lb car to low 11 quarters.

More info on this one! I'm guessing this was maybe a Factory Stock setup?

Last edited:

mach1gsxr

Established Member
Some big peeps chiming in on this thread.

+1 On carlos just having a pmp built 3650 with the 26 spline input shaft. He didn't powershift it fwiw. Wonder how he is doing now.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
More info on this one! I'm guessing this was maybe a Factory Stock setup?

Yup, they also made over 450rwhp from a simple flat top piston'd, mildly cammed motor. There are guys running far more expensive setups with more cam and custom domed pistons that aren't coming close to making that much power.

It's all about proper parts selection and preparation. Sure, anyone with limited knowledge can make more power with FI but that also has a cost, upgraded fuel system, drivetrain mods, etc, but making n/a is just plain fun.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
^Could that said engine be easily street driven?
I do believe that would be stretching it and defintely not on 93/94 octane. The cams and intake manifold are defintely streetable, but the compression would have to be lowered for pump gas. I have no experience with E85 so I can't comment how it would react to it.

Dave_6

Established Member
Ah, must be a pretty steep compression ratio. I guess depending on how high it is, E85 could work pretty well with it.

MP-John

Established Member
The FS engine had flat tops, 98 cobra cams, 45 cc heads, stock Cobra intake and t/b and a 80mm mass air meter, shorty 1/5/8" headers. No porting peroid. We were torn down many times and always legal. It made 394 on Modular Depots dyno. kenB bolted on a FR intake and it made 409.
As fas as fuel, NMRA requires C10. That's it. There was an article in 5.0 magazine on the engine a few years back.

Other than increased compression, it was streetable. 11.28 @ 121 on drag radials @ 3375#. Mr Cosby FS car went 11.40 and he drove it to the track.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
what are you na guys using for the bottom end? the cobra cranks or are you buying different cranks?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I would like to add a few additional comments if I may.
Above, I questioned whether using meth in order to run a higher CR was worth it.
When making a decision like that, you must also plan for part failure.
Maybe some hotrodders are in denial, but it does happen.
When building a motor that REQUIRES METH,
what are the external requirements?
A module to regulate it, a pump to pump it, lines and/or nozzles,
the meth itself, etc.
There are defects in every product on the market, and there always will be.
This goes for every part including the meth mixture itself.
What if the meth or any associated pieces are not up to snuff?
How will you know?
Now, you build a 12:1 CR or higher motor RELYING on every part of that system,
plus other systems to work perfectly.
Now, what if a pump fuse blows, or the pump itself fails.
What if the module fails?
If ANYTHING goes wrong, BANG!
I added this sentence to see if you are paying attention.
There goes your expensive engine.
And it WILL happen at the most inopportune time.
Same goes for electric water pumps.
Is it worth it?
That is something people need to decide for themselves.
Risk vs. reward.
I am neither for nor against using it,
but I have been a Ford Hotrodder for a long time,
and hate seeing folks risk too much for a couple of HP.
Personally, I am far more a fan of reduced parasitic loss
and reduced rotating mass to gain an advantage.
That along with the old school "Just add displacement".

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
some good points were made there, how about we go into ways of reducing rotating weight and how a lighter rotating assembly or really any part that spins will help it accelerate faster.

what are some things you can do to aid this?

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
dont forget about the crank pulley, less accessories (less parasitic drag) ligther balancer and dont forget about the rotating assembly.

then dont forget about the rear end...but then again this is about engines for this thread

Users who are viewing this thread