N/A 4v build

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Listen. I did not say you couldn't make power or a fast car N/A. All I stated was what you could do for the same amount of money, if not less, going another route.

My point is this, he wants a powerful, 281 ci engine, we as a whole need to stop suggesting other routes to making power and offer suggestions that will help him meet his goal.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
My point is this, he wants a powerful, 281 ci engine, we as a whole need to stop suggesting other routes to making power and offer suggestions that will help him meet his goal.

How do you know his reasons for not wanting a boosted application? Maybe he's uninformed or scared about some part of it. He didn't even ask what way he should go to build his bad ass 281.. he asked for our OPINIONS on a radical 281 build if WE were building them. I gave my opinion. I also gave my opinion that if he did want an NA setup to go bb/stroker and not to stay away from NA altogether. Why are you still riding my nuts? Okay, I get it, you don't like boost.. doesn't mean it is or isn't the better option for this guy. I would rather him make an informed decision though.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
does anyone make a supercharger or turbo kit for a carbed 4v in a fox car?

How do you know his reasons for not wanting a boosted application? Maybe he's uninformed or scared about some part of it. He didn't even ask what way he should go to build his bad ass 281.. he asked for our OPINIONS on a radical 281 build if WE were building them. I gave my opinion. I also gave my opinion that if he did want an NA setup to go bb/stroker and not to stay away from NA altogether. Why are you still riding my nuts? Okay, I get it, you don't like boost.. doesn't mean it is or isn't the better option for this guy. I would rather him make an informed decision though.

un4givn can you help with this part?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

Geesh, the title of this thread is, "N/A 4V build." Where's this "nut riding" you talk about? The OP was quite clear in asking for radical, 281ci, N/A ideas.

For the record, I like boost.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
does anyone make a supercharger or turbo kit for a carbed 4v in a fox car?

I doubt you will find a bolt on kit for a carb'd fox body anywhere. We have a local guy running a carb'd, turbo, 281ci engine. It's gone low 11s so far.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
I doubt you will find a bolt on kit for a carb'd fox body anywhere. We have a local guy running a carb'd, turbo, 281ci engine. It's gone low 11s so far.

thats the point i was trying to get across and one of my reasons for trying to build a nice little 4v

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I'm looking at doing an N/A build as well, mainly because i don't want to fool with forced induction and all of the constant/expensive tuning involved. what I figured on doing is a set of 03/04 mach1 heads, 96/98 degreed cams, short runner intake, accufab dual 65mm TB, lightning mass air meter, long-tubes-off road X-Pipe, catback, 4:30s, intake spacer, steeda pulleys and a tune. As far as suspension i want to do the fulltiltboogieracing complete rear bushing kit, shocks, springs, a little front suspension work (A-Arm bushings, tie rod endlink bushings and rack bushings) upgraded rotors and pads. Honestly i have no clue what this combo will be worth HP wise and I really dont care. my cousin had a set-up very similar to this with a few exceptions and his car was simply amazing to drive. He could hang if not pull away from the majority of cars he ran across not to mention out handle damn near anything out there.
If after all this I'm still not satisfied with this set-up ill consider a single turbo set-up, i know it'll probably cost me a little more than just starting the build in the first place around a turbo but that's the route I'm choosing.
To each his own, by the summer ill have a cobra r front bumper, 03 cobra rear bumper, mirrors and sidescoops with a steeda wing, there are a lot of guys that dont like the R front bumper or the wing but it's my car and that's what i want to do with it. Just do what makes you happy, research different combos and ride in as many different cars as you can and see what you like.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
un4givn can you help with this part?

I cannot help you with this part.. I have never looked for one though. So, are you saying the reason you're inquiring about an N/A build is because you cannot find a kit for a carb'd 4v?

Edit: As far as turbo's, I would imagine that all of the hotside piping would be the same as any other fuel injected 4v. The only thing that would have to be custom made would be the cold side piping.

Super Edit:
Geesh, the title of this thread is, "N/A 4V build." Where's this "nut riding" you talk about? The OP was quite clear in asking for radical, 281ci, N/A ideas.

For the record, I like boost.

Again, I gave him my opinion on what should be done if going N/A or if going FI. I did not say "Stay away from N/A..." The nut riding is you getting on every post I've made in this thread acting like I forbid N/A engines when I have said no such thing. The OP asked how we would build a radical 281 N/A. I gave my response: I wouldn't. I didn't say he shouldn't or couldn't, I simply answered his question. Anything else?

Last edited:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
No offense to you Chris, but your car helps me prove my point. Look at all the money and work you put into your car doing heads and cams etc, and your car makes 326/321. Not even close to being worth it imo.
Personally I have seen a ton of high hp Sc combos that don't impress me at all because they run shit times at the track. All you need to do is look through these forums to find cars with 400+ and they are only running 12's. To the op if you keeping stock cubes and what to make alot of power it's going to be about optimizing the head intake combo for high rpm's.

SlowSVT

Established Member
For me a 4.6 NA motor is just too small to push this car very fast. You will need to spin the engine harder to make up for displacement and that gets expensive. A stroker helps but you will still hit that wall where the engine won't make any more power. Boost solves all of those problems and can make as much power as the engine and fuel can tolerate. If your drag racing a centrifugal blower makes a lot of sense.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
He has a 230K mile shortblock, stock intake, stock heads, long duration cams that weren't degreed, defintely not the route I would take. Ask John how much his stock cammed motor made with an FR500 intake...over 400rwhp. It also powered a 3400lb car to low 11 quarters.

Not the route I would take too...but it was done on a budget..I originally didn't even plan to do the 03 head swap or even put in long tubes.

My next motor with be N/A and will rip the asphalt out of the road. :rockon:

No offense to you Chris, but your car helps me prove my point. Look at all the money and work you put into your car doing heads and cams etc, and your car makes 326/321. Not even close to being worth it imo.

In all actuality, I did NOT spend a lot of money into my car[my COMP cams = $500 that I found for sale on youtube]. I spend a lot of time researching what I want and finding deals. I do the work myself so that helps save a ton of money.

my car made 326/321 with ABSOLUTELY NO BOLT-ONS [unless you count weld-in flowmasters and the black/dirty air filter mod] with the dyno cut off @ 5900rpm in 92* heat with an unfinished tune.

That was with UNPORTED 03 heads and cams that weren't even degreed, everything else was stock..and a 230,000 mile shortblock as stated.

I have a thing or two I have left with this motor and I should come pretty close to a 400rwhp motor that was done on a BUDGET of a broke college student.

If you are just worried about dyno sheets and street racing with highway pulls...then buy a blower. I'd rather sit in my driveway and listen to my car idle :rockon:

I'm building it into a track purpose car...I just so happen to drive it everyday.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
Tis for the info. I need to shift near 8k. Currently using a G-Force T5, but would be nice to have something more street friendly.

what bellhousing are you using to mate the t5 up to the mod motor?

Users who are viewing this thread