N/A 4v build

01fordcobra

Established Member
MSD digital 7 - everything else is not worth the struggle.

Really. I would have guessed the Mod 6 as well. As i'm running 12:1 CR, Forged internals, FR500 Heads, High lift cam set, Mod 6, w/ 750 DP Holley.

How did you get the digital 7 to hook up with the COP's? I haven't really looked at the DIS 7 b/c they said MOD 6 will was designed for it.

Last edited:

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
look its going to be a NA car so lets drop the FI stuff. can we get back on track onto make it a badass NA mtoor?

also can you really run 12:1 with pump gas?

jmichalicek

Established Member
look its going to be a NA car so lets drop the FI stuff. can we get back on track onto make it a badass NA mtoor?

I just had my motor built N/A and the builder (Mike Rousch at Mid-Atlantic Performance) recommended sticking closer to 10.5:1 for pump gas. I think my actual build is just slightly higher than that, but still should be below 11:1.

I didn't ask him to go into details on why he says that, though, so there may have been other reasons such as me being on somewhat of a budget and so not having the money to put into other stuff needed to run higher than that or it being a daily driver rather than a track only car, etc.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
look its going to be a NA car so lets drop the FI stuff. can we get back on track onto make it a badass NA motor?
:banana:

You can run 93/94 as long as long the tune is good, it won't be optimum but if it's a track car you can always bump the tming and run some race gas also.

Last edited:

01fordcobra

Established Member
I just had my motor built N/A and the builder (Mike Rousch at Mid-Atlantic Performance) recommended sticking closer to 10.5:1 for pump gas. I think my actual build is just slightly higher than that, but still should be below 11:1.

I didn't ask him to go into details on why he says that, though, so there may have been other reasons such as me being on somewhat of a budget and so not having the money to put into other stuff needed to run higher than that or it being a daily driver rather than a track only car, etc.

If I were boosting i would have went with a lower CR. But I have no intentions of doing so. If i had to do it again, I would have went with a custom 14:1 domed piston.

Last edited:

01fordcobra

Established Member
John uses the Digital 7 with a distributor.

What Distributor do you use John? I take it its welded into the cam cover?

12 to 1 = E85 especially for a track only car.

Yes. I have been running 94 with octane booster all year. I have planned to go to E-85 with a different carb setup and nitrous. I'll be ready for next season.

01fordcobra

Established Member
someone post their current NA set ups

WAP Block bored .020 over, kellog stroker crank, Oliver Rods, Manley Flat Top Pistons with Total Seal rings. FR500 Heads decked .020 with FRPP High lift Cam set, making 12:1 CR. Sullivan Performance Intake with Holley 750 Double Pump and Zex Perimeter N2O plate. MSD Mod 6 ignition.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Papito once said to me at a TnT session, "You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency."

-Mark

I second that. My engine probably has a lot of deficiencies that are being overshadowed by my blower.

As for the 12:1 compression on pump gas: It's pushing the pump gas envelope, but it's all in the tune and your ability to control detonation. And sacrificing compression as a means to control detonation is one of the most archaic techniques of engine building. I'd rather have a high compression motor and find ways of controlling detonation than find ways of making up for the relative shortcomings and deficiencies of a lower compression motor.

Here's a question. I know lots of the blower people use meth injection to control detonation, rather than having to sacrifice timing to having run race gas. I know part of the benefit of meth injection is that it cools the intake charge like an intercooler (which doesn't provide much benefit to an N/A motor), but it also prevents detonation from the fuel side of things.. Do you think Meth injection would be an effective means of controlling detonation so you can run a higher compression ratio with more timing and less fuel? It'd be interesting to see if this trick works.

Homer

jmichalicek

Established Member
I'm interested in the meth injection option, too. I've been thinking about that recently, myself. On a related note, how available is methanol, even? I did a little searching one day and didn't find much of anything. Suggesting to go with meth injection seemed to be about on par with suggesting e85... sure, it'll work great, but you can't actually get it anywhere in most of the country.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
It's very available. Most meth injection systems use a water/meth mixture, so it doesn't have to be 100% pure. Google it, you should be able to find a vendor close by. Race tracks, hobby shops, hardware stores, local industrial places, cleaning supply vendors, etc. If you buy a meth injection kit from a reputable manufacturer such as Snow Performance, they'll either be able to sell you some directly, or point you in the direction of where to get it.

I just did a little searching, and I found that Snow Performance makes a N/A meth injection kit geared specifically to those wanting to run high compression. Snow Performance: Stage 2 Boost Coolerâ„¢ Muscle Car N/A

Here's a dyno chart from a 426 hemi (it was the only dyno chart I could find on their site that didn't have a power adder listed. It's not a modular ford, but it gives you an idea of the type of horsepower gains.
dyno_chart-large_image-19.jpg

Last edited:

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
WAP Block bored .020 over, kellog stroker crank, Oliver Rods, Manley Flat Top Pistons with Total Seal rings. FR500 Heads decked .020 with FRPP High lift Cam set, making 12:1 CR. Sullivan Performance Intake with Holley 750 Double Pump and Zex Perimeter N2O plate. MSD Mod 6 ignition.

what kind of power are you making? you have done several things i want to do. is the kellog crank stock stroke?

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
I second that. My engine probably has a lot of deficiencies that are being overshadowed by my blower.

As for the 12:1 compression on pump gas: It's pushing the pump gas envelope, but it's all in the tune and your ability to control detonation. And sacrificing compression as a means to control detonation is one of the most archaic techniques of engine building. I'd rather have a high compression motor and find ways of controlling detonation than find ways of making up for the relative shortcomings and deficiencies of a lower compression motor.

Here's a question. I know lots of the blower people use meth injection to control detonation, rather than having to sacrifice timing to having run race gas. I know part of the benefit of meth injection is that it cools the intake charge like an intercooler (which doesn't provide much benefit to an N/A motor), but it also prevents detonation from the fuel side of things.. Do you think Meth injection would be an effective means of controlling detonation so you can run a higher compression ratio with more timing and less fuel? It'd be interesting to see if this trick works.

Homer

you would have to run the meth at all times since the compression is always there unlike when the boost would kick in hard

Users who are viewing this thread