Lean Protection Module!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love innovation like this. What an awesome idea and tool. I have a feeling these will sell very well. Will you sell them yourself or go through a distributor?

Saleen4971

Established Member
I would grab one! Cheap insurance for any motor, built or not, expensive or not. 150 one time is better than even a set of head gaskets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Actually the J&S safeguard is a completely different tool used for detecting engine knock. It does not look at A/F ratio.
The AEM is along the right concept but requires you to run the AEM gauge and wideband setup. It also requires a boost/vacuum hose and is a lot more complex.

My concept is a very simple completely stand alone unit that can be installed with any wideband and only requires two wire hook up for input. TPS and wideband.

TRBO VNM

Good idea, but I would look into cutting spark.

I know you say that once you feel the injectors drop out it will surprise you and I agree. but we all can agree that too much spark/detonation is an issue and if you cut fuel and something doesn't react fast enough, they are still getting spark and still seeing a lean condition and even worse with injectors being cut off.

I would see if you could cut spark instead.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member

I know you say that once you feel the injectors drop out it will surprise you and I agree. but we all can agree that too much spark/detonation is an issue and if you cut fuel and something doesn't react fast enough, they are still getting spark and still seeing a lean condition and even worse with injectors being cut off.

Completely agree, but this is an awesome idea OP, keep us posted on how testing and development comes along!

MalcolmV8

Established Member

You can cut spark. It's up to the end user how they'd like the safety action to be taken. I've tried spark but didn't like that I was then dumping raw fuel in the engine and when you let off the gas it's going to possible all ignite in the exhaust. My personal preference has been injector cut and its been working very well. I've purposely leaned out the tune on both vehicles and hammered them WOT multiple times with this unit with no ill effects. Like I said though you can wire either way. My opinion is once the injectors are turned off there is zero fuel.
You know I could have the system have two outputs and you could cut both spark and fuel but that seems overkill.

TRBO VNM

You can cut spark. It's up to the end user how they'd like the safety action to be taken. I've tried spark but didn't like that I was then dumping raw fuel in the engine and when you let off the gas it's going to possible all ignite in the exhaust. My personal preference has been injector cut and its been working very well. I've purposely leaned out the tune on both vehicles and hammered them WOT multiple times with this unit with no ill effects. Like I said though you can wire either way. My opinion is once the injectors are turned off there is zero fuel.
You know I could have the system have two outputs and you could cut both spark and fuel but that seems overkill.

That was going to be my next question about cutting both. IMO, that would be good to add as an option.

I agree about the risk of backfire once timing comes back, but it's one of those things...do you cut fuel and risk detonation or do you cut spark and risk a litte backfire.

Something else....how about cutting both, but can you do it in percentages? Like fully cut spark and 50% fuel or 50% both?

cj428mach

Established Member
Is back firing really an issue? Almost every rev limiter out there kills ignition, and when it comes back on you don't hear of people blowing up mufflers. :shrug:

MTBSully

Established Member
Arduino Mini? I used those for my senior project. Very cool idea man, what program did you do your coding in?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Nice idea.

I helped develop the warning light in Speedhuts Wideband guages.

Programmable warning light to come on if the A/F goes above a set point only at WOT.

Worked like a champ!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That was going to be my next question about cutting both. IMO, that would be good to add as an option.

I agree about the risk of backfire once timing comes back, but it's one of those things...do you cut fuel and risk detonation or do you cut spark and risk a litte backfire.

Something else....how about cutting both, but can you do it in percentages? Like fully cut spark and 50% fuel or 50% both?

Yes I could definitely build a module that cut both and I could do percentages but I think that would be a bad idea on the percentages.
Just to re-cap the process as it works now. You go WOT and then your tune begins to lean beyond a certain safety point (12.2 ~ 12.3 I've been playing with) and as soon as that happens this unit turns off the fuel injectors. This completely halts the combustion process. The very next cycle the cylinder will draw in nothing but air and the spark from the spark plug is meaningless.
If I were to have done a 50% reduction on fuel the combustion process would still take place but only be even leaner and only worsen the problem.

Just to give a quick short run down of the history of this. It goes back over 2 years and started with me wanting to play with turbos and tuning a lot. My Cobra is my baby and an expensive setup to play with in that manner. So I looked at some factory turbo'd cars as cheap learning toys like the SRT4, some older Subarus etc. but decided I wanted to turbo something from scratch. Seeing as the Honda community has such a huge turbo following I decided to go that route. As much as I don't care for riced out civics I purchased my self a bone stock used one and started playing with tuning and learning the ins and outs of it. After a few months of using it as a DD and tuning it I built my own turbo setup from scratch and turbo'd it. I then had the experience of tuning it over many months and having fun. I found the limits of the stock components, I lifted cylinder heads, blew gaskets, burnt some valves and all sorts of good things. I also went lean a few times in the process of playing with vtec & switching fuel maps etc.
I then built an original proto type of the lean protection module and started experimenting. I ran this motor hard with it in place and used it endlessly for thousands of miles while tinkering. I tore the motor down and built it solid with all forged internals, head studs etc. and made it quite a performance car. I've tuned it on E85, pump gas, pump gas with water/meth and more timing & boost. I've experimented with the lean protection a lot, 99% of it with injector cut and it's absolutely solid. I've yet to ever have even the slightest issue with it. In the tear downs of that Honda motor and many different plug readings I've taken I've yet to ever see signs of running lean or detonation. I'm very confident when I say the injector cut is the way to go. Once I got so confident in it I started playing with it on the Cobra too. Once again fantastic results. I am so confident in the injector cut it would be what I recommend to others. However like I said you can wire it either way and the end user can definitely choose how they'd like to do it.

Is back firing really an issue? Almost every rev limiter out there kills ignition, and when it comes back on you don't hear of people blowing up mufflers. :shrug:

When you hit a rev limiter you are having momentary and somewhat sporadic cutting of the ignition. Not much un burnt fuel is getting in the exhaust.
When lean protection kicks in it completely disables the engine, to save it, till you let off the gas pedal. That would mean right as it kicks in till you could react and let off the gas pedal raw un burnt fuel is just been pumped into the exhaust which is why a big back fire could potentially occur. With injector cut you have no such side affect. The motor will die so hard and fast the car will nose down and when you let off the gas it safely and smoothly just comes back to life and you continue driving with no harm to the engine.

SatinSnake

Established Member
It's a very easy self contained system. You hook it up to your widebands 0-5 volt output and the TPS and then for output you hook up the relay to either cut injectors or take what ever other action you like.

Can yet set the relay for open or closed? Does the relay throw is you lose power to the unit? Sounds like a great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread