Lean Protection Module!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sorry Ken they are discontinued. They were just way to expensive and time consuming to make. Maybe someday if things changed I could make them again but for now you'll have to find a used one. Once in a while they pop up when people sell their cars and part out all the goodies.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Are these still being made and sold?
I looked around on the MDRacing website and could not find them anywhere.
Thanks
Ken

since they aren't being made anymore you might consider the J&S Safeguard which is a knock detector that works exponentially better than the factory stuff and will pull timing (either to the entire motor or just the individual cylinder(s)) if detonation occurs.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Thanks guys. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for a used one. The J&S is something I’ve been interested in too and am gonna read up on.
Thanks
Ken

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The J&S is something I’ve been interested in too and am gonna read up on.

The J&S "Vampire" is the only way to go: it's monitoring all eight cylinders, not just a single W/B in one bank. Mine went in to the new build from day one and it's been running beautifully for almost three years now. Worth every penny for the amount of money these engines can cost.

Lots of details in the build thread: Aluminator Gibtec Build

Blurb here as well: Electrical

Vampire1.jpg

Vampire2.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The J&S "Vampire" is the only way to go: it's monitoring all eight cylinders, not just a single W/B in one bank.

There seems to be some confusion in the thread. The J&S Vampire and the LPM provided two different functions and services.

My module was to catch lean conditions and stop you burning a hole through the piston. The J&S Vampire is to catch engine detonation from poor octane, to much timing etc. I used to run both modules as they both served their own purpose.

For anyone looking for a J&S Vampire I am their only exclusive dealer for better than retail pricing. Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks

EDIT: btw the LPM was also available in a dual model to monitor both banks of the engine.

wkornf

Established Member
just found this thread and it's a sweet idea! not to take away anything from this awesome product but you can whip this up with a $20 arduino with a bit of tutorials. especially relevant now since it's no longer available.

but as mentioned earlier this will likely not save your motor in the event of a single injector failure as its just monitoring average a/f.

regardless It would still be useful for fuel pressure issues and I'm planning on trying it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

papajoewill

Established Member
The J&S "Vampire" is the only way to go: it's monitoring all eight cylinders, not just a single W/B in one bank. Mine went in to the new build from day one and it's been running beautifully for almost three years now. Worth every penny for the amount of money these engines can cost.

Lots of details in the build thread: Aluminator Gibtec Build

Blurb here as well: Electrical

View attachment 1524996

View attachment 1524997
I was very lucky and found a lean protection module from a very nice gentleman on here and also plan on running the vampire knock sensor as well. I will do a big write up once everything is ready but it should be pretty sweet. In the meantime I would suggest posting in the facebook groups as well as around here.

Users who are viewing this thread