Lean Protection Module!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hey Guys,

So I've been working on a lean protection module for a while and I have found it so invaluable I figured I would share and see if others find the same value as I do.

It's essentially a 16 Mhz micro processor I've coded and programmed to monitor the car's A/F under WOT and if it goes above a certain safety point it triggers a relay to take what ever action you like. This can be a real engine saver for a variety of reasons from a failing fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, if you tinker with your tune or car parts, or how about your water/meth injection fails.

You could do something as simple as flash a warning light to catch your attention but I'd recommend taking some real action.

One option and something I tried was to make it activate the fuel solenoid on my nitrous kit. Not the fanciest band aid but it did work. This of course limits it to cars with a wet nitrous kit only and depending on how much fuel it sprays may not be the best route either.

A better option and what works best for me is to interrupt the fuel injectors. This just immediately kills power and the car falls flat on its face. I've programmed it so you then have to let off the gas pedal and the injectors come back to life.

As some of you know I also have a fully built turbo'd Honda with water/meth injection and I also run it on E85 sometimes. I've done a lot of testing on it since it's cheaper to blow up than the Cobra if I ever did and let me tell you this A/F monitor is fantastic.

I have it set to cut A/F on the Honda at 12.3 or leaner under WOT. It's running 18 lbs of boost on 91 pump gas with water/meth injection. Normally if my meth system were to fail I'd be in a lot of trouble. The system would go lean and I'd probably have a hole in the piston faster than I could react. However with the lean protection in place I'll go WOT in 4th on the highway and just turn off the meth injection on purpose!! The instant it attempts to go lean the car just falls flat on it's face (due to injector cut) I let off the gas pedal and the engine comes back to life and I keep driving (not WOT). How awesome is that?

It's a very easy self contained system. You hook it up to your widebands 0-5 volt output and the TPS and then for output you hook up the relay to either cut injectors or take what ever other action you like.

So the reason I'm looking for interest is because I was thinking of making these for others. The problem with that is I have to develop some sort of user interface so end users can choose if they want the lean cut at 11.8 AF or 12.0 or 12.2 etc. Probably some dip switches and then code the system to understand what the end user is trying to adjust. I don't want to waste my time doing all that if nobody finds the value in this like I do.

So anyhow what you guys think? something that sounds useful to you guys too or just me? lol. I'm sure price plays a big part. Based on all the parts cost I'd say it's going to be around $100 ~ $150 best guess right now to make these.

Here's a quick pic from my proto typing days, coding and experimenting etc. Like I said this has been working really well in both the boosted Honda and the Cobra.

photo%25201.JPG

Later guys
Malcolm

UPDATE: 10/09/13

Well it's finally here guys. After months and months of R&D and working with manufactures to get all the parts I needed made professionally it's ready to roll. It's turned out to be a heck of a nice package that has exceeded my initial expectations I'm very pleased with the final version.

Here is the module you'd get.

module-hires.jpg

It's a nice aluminum housing anodized black with screen printing on it. As you can see there's a status LED, a button for certain functions and a USB port for hooking up a laptop and adjusting settings in it. It works with both MAC and PC.

The unit comes with two dongles hanging out with harness connectors. You receive the two required harnesses and a USB cable plus other misc hardware such as a remote LED you can hook up for monitoring without having the main unit in sight. Also included will be detailed instructions on installing the unit as well as configuration and using it.

module-and-harness.jpg

I personally run the LED in dash vent for a clean look. It's real easy to pull up the front cover like this

photo%25201.JPG

Then when the unit activates you can see clearly like this

photo.JPG

The main unit could be installed in the glove box, under the dash, under the passenger's seat etc. I have mine just laying out in the passenger's area since I'm always working on it, tinkering, monitoring etc. and I like to have it out where I can show other people etc.

photo%25205.JPG

photo%25204.JPG

This thread has grown a bit but in summary for those catching up remember this is a Lean Protection module. As the name implies if you experience a pump failure, water methanol injection malfunction, a bad tune or another host of issues causing you to go lean rather than popping your motor you'll be instantly shutdown and able to drive away without issues. You can program the unit for the type of wideband you have, the specifics of what your TPS reads at WOT, how many mili seconds it takes for the car's A/F to go rich once the pedal is nailed WOT etc.

Right now it's looking like I can get these made for $349 a unit. I'm hoping we can start a group buy and if I can order parts in bulk I should be able to get them down to $299 a unit. I'll need a minimum of 10 orders for that pricing.

Also note there will be a time factor involved. Getting all the parts in and then doing the final assembly takes some time. Expect a month delay or so. Once I get parts in it takes around 6 hours per module for final assembly. Hopefully that comes down the more I do it.

I'll start updating the original first post in this thread too so guys can keep up easily without having to dig all through this thread for updates etc.

Group Buy List:
1) myponyjose
2) redstanger - shipped
3) Torrance - shipped
4) younggun04
5) 2000_gt
6) s351 - shipped
7) 2sick4v's
8) BayAreaTech
9) CompOCobra04 - shipped
10) Phil04Cobra - shipped
11) LordVador04 - shipped
12) pittguy - shipped
13) quad - shipped
14) 2004silvercobra - shipped
15) GPpower01 - shipped
16) nxs450
17) D-MANN - shipped
18) *Jay* - shipped
19) TXEnginerd - shipped
20) 01Jes - shipped
21) cobrasvt77 - shipped
22) ForceFedStang - shipped
23) silverserpant - shipped
24) black-plasma
25) cobrav8281 - shipped
26) BOB - shipped
27) NorCal_03Cobra - shipped
28) svt_troy
29) cobra fern - shipped
30) dpancer - shipped
31) LoudToy948 - shipped
32) Mach828 - shipped
33) Sick SVT - shipped
34) RFM50 - shipped
35) vroom - shipped
36) akeohan
37) whitepunisher - shipped
38) RTCOBRA2964
39) P Weave - shipped
40) terminator04 - shipped
41) ARBOC1 - shipped
42) Weather Man - shipped
43) akeohan
44) miggs.03.term8r - shipped
45) holiks03cobra - shipped
46) 1wheel - shipped
47) SHONUF816
48) SHONUF816
49) rcjewells - shipped
50) tbonemcniel
51) chesster51
52) 8URZ-28 - shipped
53) AntiHeightPunk
54) brian97cobra
55) Cobra03SC
56) snakerider - shipped
57) va boy - shipped
58) one eyed willy
59) SAMACH1
60) 71catruck - shipped
61) miggs.03.term8r - shipped
62) 1kwikgt - shipped
63) k2cmach1
64) Sha4bo

Video of the unit in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXptoEnibDw

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
seems like a great idea. I'm a new terminator owner but I've often wondered what happens if one of the pumps gives up, do you get a code? will you know? or will you just find out when you go WOT?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
seems like a great idea. I'm a new terminator owner but I've often wondered what happens if one of the pumps gives up, do you get a code? will you know? or will you just find out when you go WOT?

I've personally had a pump fail. More specifically the wires shorted out and there was no sign, no codes, no CEL nothing. However attempt WOT and you're in a for a surprise.

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
I have a question, and it may be stupid. BUt whatever.

If you're monitoring for a lean condition, and it recognizes one and the fuel pump is bad.

How is that any different than cutting the fuel injectors?

I'm very interested, my car run's meth as well and kinda worried about what if. lol

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have a question, and it may be stupid. BUt whatever.

If you're monitoring for a lean condition, and it recognizes one and the fuel pump is bad.

How is that any different than cutting the fuel injectors?

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. When a pump goes bad or something similar you're getting partial fuel and a lean condition which is very bad. When this unit cuts the injectors there is absolutely no fuel what so ever and the combustion process is essentially halted. The first time you feel it activate under WOT you'll sh*t. The motor is instantaneously shutdown and your immediate reaction is oh crap it just died or blew up lol. But all is fine, let off the gas pedal and it comes back to life safe and sound.

I'm very interested, my car run's meth as well and kinda worried about what if. lol

Yup that's one of the main reasons I developed this unit. If my meth ever failed for what ever reason it could be a ten thousand dollar mishap.

Last edited:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I like the idea Malcolm! So once the module dips under 12.0 under WOT it activates? Could I wire it to a raptor shift light to activate if a lean condition occurs?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's a great idea. So what's it going to cost?

I'm guessing around $150 but need to price all parts etc. Some of this stuff I had in my electronics pile already plus I haven't come up with a final design. I'd like to put a few thousand more miles of testing and hammering on it to make sure there's no bugs I've over looked.

I like the idea Malcolm! So once the module dips under 12.0 under WOT it activates? Could I wire it to a raptor shift light to activate if a lean condition occurs?

The module turns on with key-on power and is always monitoring passively. Once you go WOT it's ready to take action and yes if A/F goes leaner than 12.0 (or what ever you set) it activates. If you don't want it cutting your injectors you can make it trigger anything you want including your raptor shift light.

yellowstang1

Established Member
This is a fantastic Idea. Iam down for one when there ready. Please send me a P.M when your ready to sell.
Thanks.

vroom

Established Member
count me in as well...what a great idea! pm me when ready, thanks

Maverick-4

Established Member
Wow this is great! I been looking for a way to warn me about a lean condition without a visible gauge, I believe a few widebands do have a trigger output but I have yet to see someone with a setup using the trigger option...

Aubz

Established Member
awesome idea, please put me on the list and pm me as soon as they are developed and tested out, 150 would be a no brainer to protect a 5k engine

Users who are viewing this thread