It's official the Boss 302 is back

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That is the same article which I quoted from and "linked" in my post above.

I read the only difference between the 302 & the 302R as being the tune and the pollution controls (cat's & sensors). The article clearly states that the first 5 Boss program engines were the ones in the cars at Daytona last January. It does not differentiate in any way between street and track. They used the 302R cars as test mules for this engine program.

You can also buy this engine straight from FRPP (with or without the ECM & harness) for around $7k.

Actually that makes sense. Why would ford spend money on r and d with two different internal variations of the 302? Do it once with one budget only!

The boss engine available for frpp is the stock 302 or the boss 302? Are they both available for retail sale?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
screw that, you want the Boss.

HELLO!!??? OF COURSE I DO!!!
I'm just thinking out loud because if I can't pull it off I am still going to be replacing my track car with either a real BOSS, obviously preferred, or a functional though watered down Brembo 2011 GT with the pan, suspension, gears, intake, tune etc.
It won't be as robust down under so don't rev it to 7500, it won't have the cams and valve train to go that high any way.

Ya but a used 2011 GT will not have the Boss302R race motor in it like the Boss 302 street car.

Isint that the main attraction here?
fully forged motor, heads, intake, exhaust, 7500-8000rpm redline
I get wood just thinking about that sound of a modern day american exotic at those BMW/Ferrari territory rpms!

Main no, extremely significant? YES!!!

Do we have clarity/confirmation that the Boss will in fact have the R race motor in it, or is it somewhere in between? I think the street Boss uses powder/sinter forged rods FWIW

I believe that has been put to bed some I'll just say yes, it's the same.

I really don't want to ditch my Mystichrome, if I don't have to, that is one of the reasons I have swerved off and have been discussing a poor boy pseudo BOSS.

#539 is a very VERY special car to me. I have never gone around a corner faster in my LIFE than that car.
It's pretty too, even thought it's sorta fast, it's a looker too and Gail thinks I should keep it, she gets a kick out of all the stares and head snaps when we go out together in it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
#539 is a very VERY special car to me. I have never gone around a corner faster in my LIFE than that car.
It's pretty too, even thought it's sorta fast, it's a looker too and Gail thinks I should keep it, she gets a kick out of all the stares and head snaps when we go out together in it.

LOL we have somewhat the same dilema. I really don't want to get rid of my 04 either esp. since it is paid for. I may just have to fork out the money for the boss and call it a day. even if it does mean another year or two out here in the sandbox.

of course if I don't quit saying that I will be too old to enjoy the shit I buy

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL we have somewhat the same dilema. I really don't want to get rid of my 04 either esp. since it is paid for. I may just have to fork out the money for the boss and call it a day. even if it does mean another year or two out here in the sandbox.

of course if I don't quit saying that I will be too old to enjoy the shit I buy

How old are you Dave? If you are deployed you have got to be a good bit younger than me. I'm 58.

You've got time, It would be HIGHLY preferable if we could get a BOSS and still keep our little jewels as well. These cars really are a pretty special car.:beer:

sprint200

Established Member
Actually that makes sense. Why would ford spend money on r and d with two different internal variations of the 302? Do it once with one budget only!

The boss engine available for frpp is the stock 302 or the boss 302? Are they both available for retail sale?

My "bad". The crate engine (M-6007-M50) is the 412 hp version, not the Boss engine. :bash:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
How old are you Dave? If you are deployed you have got to be a good bit younger than me. I'm 58.:
I am not "deployed" I am out here now by choice. when I initially came out in 03 it was because I was unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy so it wasn't so much of a choice.
You've got time, It would be HIGHLY preferable if we could get a BOSS and still keep our little jewels as well. These cars really are a pretty special car.:beer:
actually not so much LOL! my clock is ticking. I am actually your age! I will be 57 in Sept. altho I figure if Paul Newman could race at almost 80 I still have a little time :beer:

rdsnk46

Established Member
I really like the Red and Black one!!!!! I wish I could hear what that motor sounds like at 7800 RPM'S through that quad exhaust!

sprint200

Established Member
.....sigh..............

The Laguna Seca's may be more limited than I thought and more desireable than has been let on by Ford. There is more than what has been revealed so far and they may all already be spoken for. I haven't given up yet but I may have to settle for a base Boss302, what a sorry fate:poke:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I dont understand the want of the leguna seca other than for 30 yr collect-ability status? If indeed it is the same weight?

The splitter brake ducks and rear seat delete + cross brace one can order all through frpp in the future. It looks to me as if you can purchase the boss and build the ls model!!!:idea:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
.....sigh..............

The Laguna Seca's may be more limited than I thought and more desireable than has been let on by Ford. There is more than what has been revealed so far and they may all already be spoken for. I haven't given up yet but I may have to settle for a base Boss302, what a sorry fate:poke:

hmmm, Interesting. Are we talking like very limited similar to the CJ? You find out anymore info?

I dont understand the want of the leguna seca other than for 30 yr collect-ability status? If indeed it is the same weight?

The splitter brake ducks and rear seat delete + cross brace one can order all through frpp in the future. It looks to me as if you can purchase the boss and build the ls model!!!:idea:

As stated, and from what I've heard, the LS model will be more than the street car with the brace, delete, splitter....etc

sprint200

Established Member
hmmm, Interesting. Are we talking like very limited similar to the CJ? You find out anymore info?

As stated, and from what I've heard, the LS model will be more than the street car with the brace, delete, splitter....etc

Yes, VERY limited.

And yes I found out more info, but there is still something else that Ford hasn't revealed. My source is second-hand but it goes to very significant persons in play here. I won't post what I did learn but you were right, it far exceeds my expectations. I am more curious about what they are holding back. The Laguna Seca will be one very special street-legal Mustang!

sprint200

Established Member

No, You will never be able to recreate what makes the LS special on your own. That's all I can say right now.:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yes, VERY limited.

And yes I found out more info, but there is still something else that Ford hasn't revealed. My source is second-hand but it goes to very significant persons in play here. I won't post what I did learn but you were right, it far exceeds my expectations. I am more curious about what they are holding back. The Laguna Seca will be one very special street-legal Mustang!

Wonder if you heard what I heard, but I guess that neither of us will ever know as we both will plead the 5th....! Although some have questioned the striping on the LS, the color is symbolic of more than contrast to paint.

chuckstang

Established Member
What will be the price on the LS (msrp) ?

My guess is an IRS

omg did I say that out loud lol

Or could be the motor itself (internal differences)

or is it the curb weight (CF panels...)

hmmmmmmmmmm

chuckstang

Established Member
sprint200- If you are more of a street/road course guy than a drag strip hero, should I perhaps put on hold spending more money on my GT500, this Boss is really tickling that right area haha

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
My guess is an IRS

that would be the logical upgrade for a road race car like the laguna seca version...

but i don't think they would have been able to keep that big a project a secret for this long?

intriguing!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am not "deployed" I am out here now by choice. when I initially came out in 03 it was because I was unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy so it wasn't so much of a choice.
actually not so much LOL! my clock is ticking. I am actually your age! I will be 57 in Sept. altho I figure if Paul Newman could race at almost 80 I still have a little time :beer:

Totally agree! Be careful over there. Bring that old carcass home in one piece when you do.

satx

Banned
What will be the price on the LS (msrp) ?

My guess is an IRS

Or could be the motor itself (internal differences)

or is it the curb weight (CF panels...)

hmmmmmmmmmm

My speculation is the difference will be a big horsepower boost. If the engine is the same as the 302R which I believe makes 450+HP through the restrictors then Ford is holding back on the HP and RPM in some manner most likely as a part of warranty considerations.

There has been talk of a "red-key". Maybe the LS will come with a key that has some type of encryption (or a different ECM) that would allow the engine to operate at full tilt but void the warranty if used? Key-on engine has an 8400 redline and makes 475-500HP?

"Balance is the key on Boss, and even more so on Laguna Seca," said Pericak.

Could all be BS, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread