It happened cylinder 8! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5.0favaloro

FLOSSA
Established Member
I bounce the rev limiter all the time when I'm on street tires, shits got me nervous now......:dw:

thebreather

Established Member
Not really, just tired of the constant negativity and head in the sand mentality. So you're a Ford tech, try and bring something to the table besides nonsense.

im a ford tech also and gotta chime in.ive never seen or heard of a number 8 issue other than on the net?
we sell alot of mustangs off our lot and people always seem to modify them and nothing of #8 ? im guilty of the modify bug this myself..

i do know this though,my a/f gauge with the stock tune at wot is close to 14...after my tune, in the 12 to one area..im not sure where the tunes were before but i feel safe knowing that.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think Beefcake still has a long block for sale. I'm sure it can handle all the abuse you can throw at it.

i do, it's for a boosted application though,

BES Built Shortblock, JPC Stage 1 Heads / Cams, cometic gaskets, arp head studs, livernois valve springs, mmr head cooling mod, ati 8 rib balancer (works on 6 ribs too), $6250..............

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Shaun is correct on this one. I have had the conversation with him about this and confirmed it as well. Even my 2013 WYN3 computer has this and I have corrected it now thanks to Shaun's help.

KenB

Established Member
for some reason, the guy who will be most likely be tuning it after the car is fixed said to he just wanted the stock tune back on there and that the the cai/tb doing something with the MAF, something i didn't completely understand and i saw as a sunk $100. and he said its not the end of the world if i drive it around some sedately. though he could very well be trying to just push off a complete engine, and totally destroy what i have left to not be able to salvage by just doing the shortblock. but thats me thinking the worst scenario

i keep telling this to my dad and hes not listening to the fact that im doing more injury driving the car around.. i just dont have the $ to do it tommarrow im gonna have to look into a loan.

Let me clear a few things up. You never spoke to the guy that was going to tune your car, that was me. I wasn't even there that day. When I saw the complaint of smoke on the dyno appointment, I called Jake (owner of PBH ) and told him it sounded like it had a bad piston and to check out the car before I got there so I don't make the trip if I don't need to.

So you were dealing with Jake, owner of PBH, not me, the person who does the tuning there.

Secondly, I find it a bit worrisome that you would post that the advice you were given was possibly to make your situation worse so PBH could sell you a whole engine. That is an ubelieveable statement to make. Jake and PBH are one of the most honest, upstanding shops in the area and to even suggest that is offensive.

We build the fastest Fords in South Florida, just look around. Everyone in the area recommends us. That is not by mistake. We have no reason to play those games and I think you owe Jake an apology in this thread.

Ken Bjonnes

Last edited:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Im really sorry if it came out and about as an attack on PBH and jake, i totally didnt mean it that way... its just the fact that i was getting so many different point of views on what to do with the car the way it stood... one side saying its ok to drive and others saying to stop immediatley and not drive another mile, which was making complete sense that still driving around on it would make the block worst and un-salvageable.. that along with my dad being a hard headed distrusting individual, he always looks at what the worst thing can come out of a situatio, and he stilll has that old school notion of the "car mechanic" steering you the wrong way. which is something more of the past and especially unlickley to be found in a a specific enthusiast shop... unfortunately some of that this negative attitude/influence trickles down towards me forcing and subconsciously crosses my mind. and the fact the the car felt rougher after the switching back to stock tune and intake didnt help give peace of mind.

And i need to take some head to my dad because unfortunately, if its not for him and my family. it could be months upon months without this car, because i foolishly rushed into the modding crazy too fast and hapazardly with no fall back to turn to in case of the worst.

i hope i didnt completely make a sh*ty first mpression on you Ken, i truly look foward to still meeting you and see true pro's like yourself and jake behind the fine tuning of my car one day. i see that the two of you put out some of the best mustangs around, without even avidly advertising it. Your cars speak for themselves and thats why i found myself at the shop that mourning though ultimately under these unfortunate circumstance.

Last edited:

KenB

Established Member
Im really sorry if it came out and about as an attack on PBH and jake, i totally didnt mean it that way... its just the fact that i was getting so many different point of views on what to do with the car the way it stood... one side saying its ok to drive and others saying to stop immediatley and not drive another mile, which was making complete sense that still driving around on it would make the block worst and un-salvageable.. that along with my dad being a hard headed distrusting individual, he always looks at what the worst thing can come out of a situatio, and he stilll has that old school notion of the "car mechanic" steering you the wrong way. which is something more of the past and especially unlickley to be found in a a specific enthusiast shop... unfortunately some of that this negative attitude/influence trickles down towards me forcing and subconsciously crosses my mind. and the fact the the car felt rougher after the switching back to stock tune and intake didnt help give peace of mind.

And i need to take some head to my dad because unfortunately, if its not for him and my family. it could be months upon months without this car, because i foolishly rushed into the modding crazy too fast and hapazardly with no fall back to turn to in case of the worst.

i hope i didnt completely make a sh*ty first mpression on you Ken, i truly look foward to still meeting you and see true pro's like yourself and jake behind the fine tuning of my car one day. i see that the two of you put out some of the best mustangs around, without even avidly advertising it. Your cars speak for themselves and thats why i found myself at the shop that mourning though ultimately under these unfortunate circumstance.

No problem, I can understand what you are going through with a hurt engine you didn't expect.

I would like to comment on one thing you said, because it really hits home

"... its just the fact that i was getting so many different point of views on what to do with the car the way it stood..."

The best advice I can give you is to find someone you trust that is qualified and follow their advice. Getting advice from too many people is sometimes going to cause more issues than you have to begin with. Especially when it comes to performance topics. There are 100s of opinions out there and taking advice on the internet is a gamble. Often times you don't even know who you are speaking with or what they actually know. Many shops and enthusiasts are great at typing a convincing paragraph to make it seem like they know what they are talking about. But in practice, they never seem to get the job done. Others, like Jake don't even get on the internet and instead concentrate on actually building the best cars out there. I would judge people more by what comes out of their shop rather than how badass they claim to be.

Jake built our TT50, fastest and quickest Coyote turbo street car and 2012 5.0 Magazine KOTS Winner. Jake built Coffeeman's procharged 5.0, quickest Coyote Procharged Street car and second in the 8s with the auto. Jake built JW Brake's Super Snake that holds the record for the fastest Mustang at the Texas Mile. The list is MUCH larger, but you get the point.

His point about driving your car was, IF you really need to to get to work or somewhere, you can drive it. We aren't saying that we recommend it. We have fixed MANY of these cars that hurt pistons locally. Often times the person drove for quite a while before even realizing it was broken beyond the smoke.

Of course you are taking a risk driving it that way, but often times people don't have a choice as it's their only car and why Jake told you that.

Ken

Last edited:

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
whispers in my ear about while already having the engine out. Headers should be highly considered and wouldn't be a bad idea to save up for and incorporate it into this build, since we'll be right in there...

7/8... or 3/4 guys? ill probably stay n/a for several years with a bumped compression.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
you can really go either way, i'm running great specials on the stainless works and the pypes which are stepped headers right now as well

SirJAG

Established Member
And THIS folks, along with unbelievable PERSONAL customer service is EXACTLY why my car is running a tune by Shaun@AED

I've tried others and believe me, Shaun's CUSTOMER SERVICE alone is lightyears ahead of the competition.:kaboom::beer:

i would let shaun bang my girlfriend (not wife mind you, unleashedbeast has that honor), his customer service is that good!

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
which is the better way to go? pypes seem to be considerably cheaper, and i like the fact that they are the grey area between 3/4 and 7/8. the only thing of concern i have towards them is some feedback that i've heard that they can be a tight fit and rattling has popped up with a few of these sets.

any other feedback from owners with pypes step down headers?

Established Member
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hhg fn bvbn b m vhvnnn ghost h

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
which is the better way to go? pypes seem to be considerably cheaper, and i like the fact that they are the grey area between 3/4 and 7/8. the only thing of concern i have towards them is some feedback that i've heard that they can be a tight fit and rattling has popped up with a few of these sets.

any other feedback from owners with pypes step down headers?

Heres some advice, follow Ken's advice and pick one person. What he meant by that is to ask your builder those questions! If you are unsure about something it may be simple to just come on here and ask, but then the answer you get may not be from an expert. (Sound Familiar?) If you do have a question and can't ask your builder right away, do what the rest of us do...research! The easy way got you a blown motor...QUIT taking that route!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread