It happened cylinder 8! Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
so heavily anticipating my dyno tune earlier this mourning to wrap up the end of my bolt-ons, it soon ended in disaster as the worst thing you can imagine with our cars struck. as soon as the tuner cranked up the car, the rougher than normal idle was noticed, with a cough of white smoke me and my friend witnessed from behind after the not so fluid crank starts the car another recent occurence.

we pop the hood look at the cyclinder 8 plug, and there it is, drenched with oil. So another victim of the cyclinder 8 isfire... i guess the tunes wherent all figured out after all. only 13800 miles into the car, im so taken back, this being already the second major issue following a 5th gear syncro grind.

so my questio to my fellow members, which way should i go in terms of getting this motor going and so that this never happens again. i was told beefier Manley rods and pistons can fix and prevent this from happening again. or should i go such the route at take a look at an aluminator motor and be ready to go for whatever i through at it.

- thanks in advance guys,appreciate any help. A really sad day, i love this car to death, just cant believe this really struck and i finally had everything i wanted on the car!!.

Shaun@AED

It's in the FACTORY tune and there IS a fix.
Any tuner that has asked me for the fix HAS received it.

I can post up data logs of stone stock cars with this issue. And logs of it fixed.

Notfast2012

Established Member
That sucks sorry to hear that. I would say check out a mmr shortblock. Or a rotating assembly from them if you have a decent machine shop near by. It will probably be a waste of time to take it to ford. But I do know someone who got lucky and had a new engine put in from ford that had some mods on his car. Are you going for other mods later on down the road? A boss shortblock might work for you to depending on future mods.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The frpp short block seems to hold up just fine

sloppymax

Established Member
It's in the FACTORY tune and there IS a fix.
Any tuner that has asked me for the fix HAS received it.

I can post up data logs of stone stock cars with this issue. And logs of it fixed.

I would enjoy checking out the before and after logs if you were to post them. I know you posted a list of tuners that had your fix but seeing the data would be great.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Did not mean it as a vendor bash, meant more of a question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Screen shot of #8 in progress:
Notice the Yellow trace is Lambse (Commanded lambda). Part way thru this WOT street pull the ECU starts commanding a lean air fuel. Measured Air Fuel confirms the engine is actually running lean (as commanded). Cat enrichment soon kicks in just in time to 'save' the engine. (Yellow trace trails rich, which is due to Cat Overtemp protection).
Stock50LogSnapshot.gif

After Tuned log of the same vehicle: (Yellow Trace is no longer trailing lean or rich. It is now as commanded in the WOT fueling table.)
AfterTune_zpsd3a93d4b.gif

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Bummer! If it didn't damage the cylinder.. Big if.. you could do Boss crank, pistons and rods for a decent price.

merlinmol

Established Member
Hearing stuff like this makes me not wanna drive my 13'. Definitely sucks bro.

sleek98

Established Member
Screen shot of #8 in progress:
Notice the Yellow trace is Lambse (Commanded lambda). Part way thru this WOT street pull the ECU starts commanding a lean air fuel. Measured Air Fuel confirms the engine is actually running lean (as commanded). Cat enrichment soon kicks in just in time to 'save' the engine. (Yellow trace trails rich, which is due to Cat Overtemp protection).
Stock50LogSnapshot.gif

After Tuned log of the same vehicle: (Yellow Trace is no longer trailing lean or rich. It is now as commanded in the WOT fueling table.)
AfterTune_zpsd3a93d4b.gif

Did Ford adjust this in their 2013 cars tune when they tweaked the tune to get the extra HP over the 2011/12 cars?

Thanks for the graph!

stanielz

Established Member
i understand this but still question it. Why would a aftermarket tune command a lean "Commanded lambda" ?

it seems that you would command lambda to a sweet spot and nothing leaner during a WOT over the mail tune/dyno tune/etc.

am i missing something?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
This was not a dyno appointment with us. This did not happen at our shop location. Their was no tunes scheduled for us today.

This car is being tuned elsewhere.

Shaun@AED

Did Ford adjust this in their 2013 cars tune when they tweaked the tune to get the extra HP over the 2011/12 cars?

Thanks for the graph!

I got log 3 days ago from a 2013 Boss with the SAME lean condition at WOT.

i understand this but still question it. Why would a aftermarket tune command a lean "Commanded lambda" ?

it seems that you would command lambda to a sweet spot and nothing leaner during a WOT over the mail tune/dyno tune/etc.

am i missing something?

Absolutely NO TUNER will command a lean A/F at WOT! This is NOT an 'aftermarket tune' issue. It's a FACTORY tune issue that took some serious time and research to address Via aftermarket tune adjustments.

The factory does this to control Torque output. IE, torque output calculated (via Maf) is HIGHER than the limits programmed and the ECU will run a leaner A/F to pull Torque (reduce power).
MANY manufactures do this, even on Boosted applications.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
the reason i bring up aftermarket tunes is because the number #8 cylinder has happened to a lot of people with an aftermarket tune. the OP himself had a BBR tune and was in the process of getting retuned somewhere else after doing his bolt ons.

So according to you, only factory tunes should be blowing #8 cylinder. but that hasnt been the case, what gives?

=/ im just looking for clarification is all.

Take a look at Shaun's thread here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/886548-8-explained-little-better.html

4VFTW

Established Member
what does the info in his sig have to do with what happened today? I doubt he blew his motor then decided to come in and update his sig. I'm not buying the "As soon as my new tuner cranked the car up it ate #8" story either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread