Eaton Swap progress pics

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Yeah... After it happened I sat there and just looked... I couldn't believe it freakin snapped off right in the head. What intercooler thing? On the front of the lower? I just pulled the hoses off and let the coolant drip out a little.

After getting it off I guess I'm pretty lucky, I was able to get it out by hand as the bolt broke off a little above the head.

And Matt I was just checking over all the bolts to make sure they were all tight, and I guess I let my massive brute force get the best of me. :lol:
good deal on getting the bolt out. i was talking about when you said it seemed like the fluid wasn't circulating. but i gues you got that taken care of too...:rockon:

Nazman

Established Member
Great! Congrats! I have been watching this thread from the side lines since Im got about 95% of all the parts for my swap!

Naz

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
good deal on getting the bolt out. i was talking about when you said it seemed like the fluid wasn't circulating. but i gues you got that taken care of too...:rockon:

Yeah, I got that fixed.

Well fellas, we were sailing pretty smoothly tonight and planning on wrapping it up and starting it tonight, but we ran into a couple road blocks. First one, and the major one that really stopped us...we got the EGR tube out of there, with the fitting/nut still attached, so we tried to get them apart, and when we got the nut off of the EGR fitting, it took the threads with it. So, I will have to order a new valve or fitting or whatever you want to call it to to thread back into the exhaust manifold.

Second road block was that my belt would not fit onto the supercharger belt drive. It is the stock length/stock belt, 75.1", however it will just not go on there. I dont know what the problem is, but I think the only solution to the problem will be to buy a bigger belt. I was thinking it could possibly be that one of the idlers is too big or something, are all the stock idlers on the 8 rib setup the same size, and what are there part numbers? And when I say this belt wont fit, trust me, it wont, me and a couple buddies tried whatever we could to get it on there and it would not fit.

Third minor road block was I dont have any bolts to bolt down my IAT2 sensor on the blower, so I need something to secure that and they are pretty small bolts so I didn't just have any laying around.

Kind of a depressing night as I had to cancel my tuning appointment tonight but I guess thats just how things go...

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
damn mikey. when are you gonna try again for the tune?

lemme know and I'll try to make it up for it.

At this point in time...I really cant say for sure. Don said that he would check for availability and let me know. I ordered the fitting from ford, and ordered 2 bigger belts to test out. Hopefully one of them fits.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Well fella's, it has been a LONG f*cking journey on this hell path and nightmare which some people call the "Eaton Swap", but I am pleased to announce, that the green machine LIVES!!!!!

Thats right, I fired it up tonight!! Although I didn't have a blower belt on it or my EGR tube/fitting in it so it ran REALLY rough and we even tried a couple tricks to make it idle a little better, one in which we took a video of that I am sure you will all find hilarious!! :rolling:

My buddy Stew (TheHolyCobra here on SVTP) came over and helped me finish it up tonight and we wrenched on it to get it finished until 2:00 am this morning. He also pretty much wired up all of my glowshift gauges and they look pretty sweet, almost match the stock 99 gauges perfect!! Gotta give props to him on that, a lot of wiring needed to be done but it all looks very clean! :rockon:

Now, onto the pictures and video's from tonight.

Just beginning the night working on it:

DSC05191.jpg

What it looked like at the beginning of the night:

DSC05193.jpg

IAT2 sensor wiring

DSC05194.jpg

Me getting ready to upload the SCT Xcal 3 base tune courtesy of Don LaSota!

DSC05196.jpg

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
DSC05200.jpg

DSC05201.jpg

Almost there!

DSC05206.jpg

All done!! (Save for the belt, waiting for the correct sized one to come in on Tuesday)

DSC05207.jpg

And the glowshift gauges:

DSC05218.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Excellent job Mike, it's about damn time the Green Machine got finished! Sure does look good too...:coolman:

Disclaimer: Before you guys think we are retarded for our actions in the video...

The first time we started the car it sputtered and stalled, so we thought we would be smart and try to spin the blower by hand (since we didn't have the correct 8 rib belt). "Ideally" it would move some air and help the car idle better....right? :poke:

Then we found a vacumn leak right after...:bash:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Disclaimer: Before you guys think we are retarded for our actions in the video...

The first time we started the car it sputtered and stalled, so we thought we would be smart and try to spin the blower by hand (since we didn't have the correct 8 rib belt). "Ideally" it would move some air and help the car idle better....right? :poke:

Then we found a vacumn leak right after...:bash:

hahahahaa. I was watching that yelling "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING STEW!!!!"

01 Venom

Established Member
LOL nah it should run fine with no blower belt for a little while until your battery dies, the bypass valve alows the car to breath.

Excellent work fellas, it looks really good. I applaud you for getting the IAT2 wired up, this is something I didnt bother to do.

Nice job, you will love it, its well worth all the effort.

The first time you punch it and that blower whines, you will have a smile ear to ear.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
You have done a good job man them gauges look sexy

Thanks, and yes, the gauges look SICK!! Glowshift FTW, they look way better than autometers, almost match the stock gauges perfect!

hahahahaa. I was watching that yelling "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING STEW!!!!"

LOL, yeah, it does look pretty funny doesn't it? :lol:

She's Alive :beer:

Yes, yes she is... Now its time to finish yours :)
LOL nah it should run fine with no blower belt for a little while until your battery dies, the bypass valve alows the car to breath.

Excellent work fellas, it looks really good. I applaud you for getting the IAT2 wired up, this is something I didnt bother to do.

Nice job, you will love it, its well worth all the effort.

The first time you punch it and that blower whines, you will have a smile ear to ear.

Thanks Pat, and yeah, the IAT2 is a fairly simple procedure, I just went off the diagram the one guy posted in you write up thread. Just a simple cut and solder procedure. You should definitely give it a shot, it never hurts to know post blower temps :beer:

Oh, and I also have a quick question for you guys. Since the p/s reservoir is empty, I bought some fluid to fill it back up. Well, the stock stuff was red, and the prestone stuff I bought from advance auto is more of a clear liquid...is it ok to mix them, or should I buy some of the red stuff from ford?

Last edited:

wallie40

Established Member
I wouldnt mix them I would drain and add new or get some from ford. Keep checking it, since that was the 1st thing that went bad on mine for sitting so long.

also mike if/when my pulley installer shows up could you ship it back.

Congrats on getting it all done. Get a tune and mash the pedal. You will be so happy!

-paul

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
nice Mike! glad she came together finally. just get that EGR thing taken care of and get her tuned! and you're probably fine mixing the ps fluids, just make sure it says on the bottle that it's okay to combine with other types. the stock(red) stuff from the factory is just transmission fluid.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
LOL at spinning the blower. Good job man. Get the blower belt in and get the blower whining! You are going to crap yourself... lol

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Well, as long as it makes it down to the tuner today...It will be tuned by tonight. Just drove it around the block real quick and its a bit rough, but it is only a base tune.

Users who are viewing this thread