Eaton Swap progress pics

01 Venom

Established Member
Ya The EGR is a PITA it takes some force to get it out of there ;)

Everything is looking good man

Ya I never did the IAT2, too much of a pain, and talking to my tuner it really isnt as important as some make it out to be.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Yeah, for right now, I think I may just leave it off for time saving purposes and then maybe go back and do it later since I do have the connector and the plug for it.

Thanks guys! Oh and also, just kind of a random question, but how picky were you all on torque spec's on some parts? Is the german torque spec gudentight alright to use for most of the stuff? The only torque wrench I have is a very large 1/2 inch one, and using that I know I'd probably snap some bolts trying to torque em down. I torqued all the timing cover bolts to spec, but not the blower or intake to head ones. :shrug:

Edit: Ok, so trying to get my EGR tube off, when i go to turn the nut on there, it spins both the nut, and the fitting that is on the exhaust manifold. I dont know how in the hell I'm gonna get that off when it just does that. :shrug:

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
well, i torqued as many things to spec as i possibly could. i'm sure most of the stuff can go by feel, but don't skip on something simple like that if you don't have to....

i tell ya, you've come across more hurdles in this than i would have ever dreamed of. i don't know about the manifold fitting comming out. maybe just take that all the way out and then take it off the EGR tube when you get the whole thing off the car...:shrug:

01 Venom

Established Member
ya keep in mind youre dealing with all Aluminum, it is very easy to pull the stock steel bolts and things right through it. I did everything I could to spec.

+1 with Rio said, see if you can get the whole damn thing out of the manifold

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Yep. Almost done guys!!

However I am sooooo freakin pissed at myself right now, I feel like an IDIOT. I was out there going over some stuff and rechecking all the lower intake bolts and my dumb ass snapped one of the lower intake to head bolts off... The very first one on the passengers side. Will it be fine without that one in there? I really dont want to pull off the whole lower intake/blower assembly at all, this freakin pisses me off, why did I do that?!!? Ugh.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
eh, as much as it sux man I would fix it, you dont want it cause a vac leak

Yeah, thats what i'm going to do. I already pulled off the plenum and fuel rails and such and am about ready to pull it, just need another person to help me lift it out. I hope it will come out easy, this is the last thing I needed, but it looks to have broke off above the head a little bit. :fm:

Freakin stupid mistake on my part, I dont know why I even did it...I knew they were all fine and tight, but my paranoid ass cant leave things be. :mj:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Yeah, thats what i'm going to do. I already pulled off the plenum and fuel rails and such and am about ready to pull it, just need another person to help me lift it out. I hope it will come out easy, this is the last thing I needed, but it looks to have broke off above the head a little bit. :fm:

Freakin stupid mistake on my part, I dont know why I even did it...I knew they were all fine and tight, but my paranoid ass cant leave things be. :mj:
man this sucks. definitely fix it now before you're done. you should still be able to get tuned on saturday if everything else goes as planned :crossing fingers:. what did you end up doing with the intercooler thing?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yep. Almost done guys!!

However I am sooooo freakin pissed at myself right now, I feel like an IDIOT. I was out there going over some stuff and rechecking all the lower intake bolts and my dumb ass snapped one of the lower intake to head bolts off... The very first one on the passengers side. Will it be fine without that one in there? I really dont want to pull off the whole lower intake/blower assembly at all, this freakin pisses me off, why did I do that?!!? Ugh.

How did you break a bolt?????

lol

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Yeah... After it happened I sat there and just looked... I couldn't believe it freakin snapped off right in the head. What intercooler thing? On the front of the lower? I just pulled the hoses off and let the coolant drip out a little.

After getting it off I guess I'm pretty lucky, I was able to get it out by hand as the bolt broke off a little above the head.

And Matt I was just checking over all the bolts to make sure they were all tight, and I guess I let my massive brute force get the best of me. :lol:

man this sucks. definitely fix it now before you're done. you should still be able to get tuned on saturday if everything else goes as planned :crossing fingers:. what did you end up doing with the intercooler thing?

EVO-lution

Established Member
Yep. Almost done guys!!

eh we all make mistakes bro. at least you got the swap done...cant wait to see the numbers and some vids of the car in action:burnout:

01 Venom

Established Member
ahhh, ya see? Checking over bolts to make sure they are tight? Lesson learned huh? You need to use a torq wrench for that kind of stuff man, and torq them to spec. If you look at the specs its not that tight at all. I forget what the spec was but it was very light. Far less then hand tight really.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
ahhh, ya see? Checking over bolts to make sure they are tight? Lesson learned huh? You need to use a torq wrench for that kind of stuff man, and torq them to spec. If you look at the specs its not that tight at all. I forget what the spec was but it was very light. Far less then hand tight really.

I used a torque wrench the first time and they were getting way too tight, and it never clicked. :shrug: Thats why I was just checking by hand. :-D

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
FYI you may not have to pull the intake to get that bolt out. Go buy a set of left hand drill bits, take a center punch, punch the dead center of the broken bolt and try to drill it out slowly (turn the drill backwards of course). When the bit bites that bolt, it should act just like having a wrench on it turning ccw. Just be careful not to hit the intake with the bit. The bit needed will be much smaller than the bolt diameter. Since you said the bolts were not very tight, you shouldn't have an issue drilling it out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread