Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

joshcarp81

Established Member
Looks great buddy. Just wanna give you props and others like you for making things like this happen for the community. I got in on the group buy for the carbon hoods through Steve at true forged. Hopefully all will go well with the anodizing and test fitting following.

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys lets hope the final product is as good as this thing looks. I have no doubt the work will be top notch it'll just be whether or not I relayed what I wanted to the shop correctly and didn't miss something.

Looks great buddy. Just wanna give you props and others like you for making things like this happen for the community. I got in on the group buy for the carbon hoods through Steve at true forged. Hopefully all will go well with the anodizing and test fitting following.

Thanks, thats kinda the reason I wanted to do this as its something the community wants and I enjoy the thought of being able to help some people out with getting them. Maybe years down the road people will post about the rare cj428mach 4lb lowers. Lets just hope they're sought after and people aren't saying they're junk, lol.

I'm a stock appearance guy for Cobras but that hood does look pretty sweet, I'm kinda jealous.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Metco double bearing 63mm. I think their 76mm won't clear.

I have the 63mm sitting in a box awaiting the new 4lb lower.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Mike are you going to sell the pulleys, snap rings, and bearings as a kit or will we have to run down the parts ourselves? It would be nice to have everything available from you to reduce everyone's time and shipping costs...one stop shopping?

cj428mach

Established Member
Mike are you going to sell the pulleys, snap rings, and bearings as a kit or will we have to run down the parts ourselves? It would be nice to have everything available from you to reduce everyone's time and shipping costs...one stop shopping?

Ray,

I'm sure I'll supply the pulley and the snap ring. I'll have to get more information on the snap ring myself. When I told MMT I wanted a snap ring in there they sourced the snap ring that would fit and determined its dimensions themselves. Its hard to see but you can see the snap ring groove pictured in the bottom of the groove.

As for the bearings I can probably grab those as since you pointed out you can actually get different width bearings that carry the same part number. I wouldn't want people having issues because the bearing they grabbed isn't the right width. I doubt I'll be able to net anyone any real savings on the bearings as I won't really be buying them in bulk 10-20 bearings but I'd likely be able to save them a few $ in shipping.

The thought of selling the pulley with the bearing and snap ring installed had crossed my mind but anytime you're pressing stuff together you have a chance to put a mark or two on the pulley assembly. While more than likely it wouldnt affect the pulleys operation it would more than likely result in me hearing complaints about it lol.

I have a lot of stuff to think over in the next few days. I do know the machine shop offers light assembly services so if they'll press the bearing in for a few bucks and guarantee a perfect job I may just go that route on future production runs.

MG0h3

Established Member
I wouldn't think the interference will be that tight if they are going to run a snap ring in there. Probably just drive it in with a bearing installer/deadblow or even safer, a bench vise.

cj428mach

Established Member
I wouldn't think the interference will be that tight if they are going to run a snap ring in there. Probably just drive it in with a bearing installer/deadblow or even safer, a bench vise.

They're going for a typical tight press fit, they told me in there opinion it wouldn't even need the snap ring.

I told them since Ford or who ever built the original pulley wanted something else to hold the bearing in, I did too. Thus the snap ring was added for extra insurance.

I've also been taold you should never, ever install a bearing with a hammer unless absolutely necessary. I try to follow that as best as I can whenever possible.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
They're going for a typical tight press fit, they told me in there opinion it wouldn't even need the snap ring.

I told them since Ford or who ever built the original pulley wanted something else to hold the bearing in, I did too. Thus the snap ring was added for extra insurance.

I'd agree with that. Would suck if over time that pulley worked its way off the bearing or something to that nature.

looks good

wonder if I'd overspin this whipple with the 2.6" upper and 2lb lower? :read:

One way to find out right? :) lol

Daywalker

Established Member
My Gen II 2.3 with stock lower and 3.0" upper only made 14PSI, I'm liking where this thread is going.

:banana:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
VMP rates the TVS to 24lbs on a stock motor, I don't know what RPM that is. Surely a Whipple can do it :p

lol. Weird, the whipple website says 18K rpm and up to 30psi for the 2.3?!?! Sounds like too much! I was thinking 24psi with the 2lb lower….

One way to find out right? :) lol

haha, right! when in doubt…spin it!! :rolling:

cj428mach

Established Member
I've spoken to the machine shop and the plan is I'm going to have them press in the bearing. This means the pulley assembly will be preassembled just ready for you to press/hammer it on to the existing lower bracket.

Now I just need to source the bearings and snap rings.

Users who are viewing this thread