Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

cj428mach

Established Member
the snap ring idea will be nice. the staking is a pain in the ass and adds time and irritation for the end user. big fan of the snap ring idea!

I was able to get by the shop this morning and speak to the guy designing the pulley. They had CAD drawings printed out for me so I could see what they were planning to build. It was a good thing we spoke before production as there was one possible issue that we think we have worked out.

MMT was going to extend the snout of the pulley about .125" to get more meat behind the snap ring. I think this has the possibility of hitting the drive mechanism and not allowing it to fully seat completely into the crank hub. MMT thought that the pulley wouldn't need a snap ring at all to hold the bearing if it was a press fit with locktite. We are keeping the snap ring but there won't be as much meat behind it as they were initially planning to have. They may extend the snout .03" to get more material behind the snap ring but nothing like they originally were planning.

I was also thrown a little bit of a curve ball when they said they designed it with out spokes like the original pulley had. The designer said I can add the spokes if you'd like but by making this aluminum pulley bigger and thicker than the original steel pulley the weight of the two pulleys is almost identical. I couldn't argue with replacing the pulley with one of the exact same weight so the pulley will be spokeless.

I left MMT with another spare disassembled stock lower and one completely assembled lower just to double check measurements against. I'm supposed to get a phone call once they've double checked everything and made the necessary changes.

After all this talk about the snap ring area the shop is supposed to get me a quote to make 5 pulleys. I'm leaning toward going this route and putting a small sample into production. If the pulleys perform the way they need to then I'll go back with a large order and put together some sort of group buy. Unfortunately this means if I go this route there will only be 3 pullies available to others and I'll probably have to sell them at a loss just to get them out there.

I hope that after some testing the pullies will show that they're worthy of being built in higher numbers.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Cj. I don't mind helping out however I can. Whether it's test fitting on another car with my unused lower with the small production run or afterwards with the group buy. Let me know buddy.

cj428mach

Established Member
Cj. I don't mind helping out however I can. Whether it's test fitting on another car with my unused lower with the small production run or afterwards with the group buy. Let me know buddy.

I appreciate the offer josh and will keep it in mind. Waffleman and I will be the first test mules. We have 2 lowers already disassembled and waiting for the new 4lb pulley when done.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
im in too. want to go big this next spring and this is the ticket for me. i cant utilize a smaller upper since itll have crazy belt slip issues. whenever you need another tester and/or have more available, im in.

MG0h3

Established Member
I just got my spare lower in.

Whats the best way to get this thing apart? I saw someone posted a method or two but I dont think it was in a dedicated thread to a lower rebuild.

cj428mach

Established Member
I just got my spare lower in.

Whats the best way to get this thing apart? I saw someone posted a method or two but I dont think it was in a dedicated thread to a lower rebuild.

What do you need to know? I posted pics of a lower disassembled with some basic instructions on how to take one apart.

I went and saw the Machine shop today and finalized the pulley for production. The shop is going to begin making a run of 10 pulleys the first week of January after they get back from Xmas break. The shop said they would probably take 2-3 weeks for the pulleys to get made to the time they receive them back from getting hard anodized. Just more of the waiting game.

MG0h3

Established Member
What do you need to know? I posted pics of a lower disassembled with some basic instructions on how to take one apart.

I went and saw the Machine shop today and finalized the pulley for production. The shop is going to begin making a run of 10 pulleys the first week of January after they get back from Xmas break. The shop said they would probably take 2-3 weeks for the pulleys to get made to the time they receive them back from getting hard anodized. Just more of the waiting game.

I tried without an impact before and must have looked like a drunk stumbling all over the garage. I was basically dragging my vice and bench all over the place.

Forgot Ive purchased an air compressor since (DUH); shouldnt be too bad now. Plus my spare came off an Eaton only car so I should be ok. Ive heard bigger blowers tighten/bind them up a bit.

cj428mach

Established Member
I tried without an impact before and must have looked like a drunk stumbling all over the garage. I was basically dragging my vice and bench all over the place.

Forgot Ive purchased an air compressor since (DUH); shouldnt be too bad now. Plus my spare came off an Eaton only car so I should be ok. Ive heard bigger blowers tighten/bind them up a bit.

A little heat will do wonders. I just got a caged lower core and tried to take it apart with a 3/4" impact and no heat, the pulley just laughed at me. Heated up the tri bar right around the shaft cherry red and the pulley came apart with ease.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
subscribing

Mike did you stay with the AC/Delco bearing or were you able to change to the thinner Timken bearing?

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Mike did you stay with the AC/Delco bearing or were you able to change to the thinner Timken bearing?

I may call the machine shop on Monday and see if its a big deal to change to the thinner bearing. Although when I spoke to them last the the shop felt confident there is plenty of meat there with the current larger bearing.

cj428mach

Established Member
any updates?

I sent the shop an email from my phone last week about an update but I never heard back. Email from my phone isn't always the best. I'll try to either email them or just stop in this week and see what the scoop is.

cj428mach

Established Member
I emailed the shop again this time from a computer and got a response immediately. They're starting lathe work on them tomorrow, the finished product is supposed to be done 3 weeks max. The shop owner told me he was really going to push to get them done in under that time since they've been bumping other jobs past it.

I'm in no hurry as I feel very lucky to have a shop of this caliber taking on this small project. I'll bug them the first part of February and see how its going.

cj428mach

Established Member
The pulleys are finally out of the virtual world and now exist in the physical world, lol.

I got this pic of the back side of the 4lb pulley emailed to me today.

2ps57qu.jpg

I was told they'll be going off for hard anodizing this week. Time to start getting excited. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread