Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

cj428mach

Established Member
Correct.

They will have to unstake the bearing from the pulley bracket but it wont be necessary to remove the stakes/bearing from the pulley.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Mike, thanks for the detailed write up on the disassembly of the lower pulley unit. I am sure most of us will appreciate having the information as we delve into the project.

cj428mach

Established Member
Not a big update but I dropped the bearings at the shop for when the pulleys arrive.

I was told 3 weeks on the anodizing which will be a week from tomorrow. I hope they stay on schedule as im excited to see them.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
Anxious to hear how these do after some testing. Really want to spin this Eaton again, just hate the idea of not having the caged support that was designed for the crank (even though I used to run a Metco lower with no issues, lol).

Just curious, what's the weight difference in the stock pulley vs the 4lb? Negligible?

cj428mach

Established Member
Anxious to hear how these do after some testing. Really want to spin this Eaton again, just hate the idea of not having the caged support that was designed for the crank (even though I used to run a Metco lower with no issues, lol).

Just curious, what's the weight difference in the stock pulley vs the 4lb? Negligible?

I haven't weighed one since they haven't arrived back from the anodizer yet.

Originally we were going to have spokes in the pulley like the original just much thicker. When I met with the shop during the design phase they said if they made the pulley thicker and solid it would weigh almost identical to what the stock one does.

For that reason the pulley will be solid as we know at that weight it works well.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Less rotating mass means RPMs would wrap up and down quicker. Just a thought for future runs.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
For the majority of applications, is an ounce or two of weight less than oem spec going to be noticeable or even measurable?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
For the majority of applications, is an ounce or two of weight less than oem spec going to be noticeable or even measurable?

Probably not but just pointing out the logic, lightweight aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum pulleys etc. It all adds up. Just saying if the option is there to go lighter might as well.

cj428mach

Established Member
Sometimes thats part of the issue when you're doing something new and you're not an engineer lol.

It was determined that if we went with spokes that we'd need to widen the spokes as an aluminum spoke would be iffy at the factory width. After looking at pulleys of the past it was decided that we'd want to run 3/8" spokes in order to maintain the rigidity necessary to not deflect under use. When I was told I could have a solid pulley that would add 4lbs of boost and weigh the same as factory I chose to hopefully have a little added insurance with the extra material.

Now if I was machining these myself in my free time I would probably shoot for a lighter pulley, but I was hoping to get a solid working unit first time out of the gate. :coolman:

Blueline

Established Member
Same here Mike! I'm excited to see this and that's awesome that you decided to take this on and found a shop to do the same. I may scoop one up to hold onto for future mods :coolman:

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Great write up. Cant wait to see the pulleys and end results also. Hope everything works out as im in need of a caged 4 lb lower

cj428mach

Established Member
I was told today that the shop is expecting to receive the pulleys back from Anodizing today, and hopefully would get them assembled tomorrow.

There might be a small chance I could have them in my hands this weekend which would be great as it would allow me to assemble the caged lower and begin testing.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I picked these up today.
2hf8309.jpg

2chvwao.jpg

Pulley installed on my lower bracket
2yoczux.jpg

Bushings installed
2cih89s.jpg

Fully Assembled
2vmt4xy.jpg

Stock Vs 4lb
2vs5cpf.jpg

Installed
28lxc0g.jpg

The pulley is installed and I put about 35 miles on the car today of back road boost filled driving and the pulley performed flawlessly. With my 2.9" upper and 4lb lower the car pulls 22.5psi on the TVS.

I'd like to do some more testing so I know we have something that works. I'm also hoping Waffleman gets off his azz and gets his pulley installed as he drives a lot more than me.

Users who are viewing this thread