Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

cj428mach

Established Member
I would be down to purchase a caged 4# lower if this pans out.

You know this would be just a pulley and would require disassembly of your stock lower right?

It won't be a complete caged lower like the original guy did.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Cj, I am also still interested. I have my stock lower on the shelf ready for disassembly. Let me know what ya came up with/pricing.
Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
Cj, I am also still interested. I have my stock lower on the shelf ready for disassembly. Let me know what ya came up with/pricing.
Thanks

I can't comment really on pricing too much until its more of a done deal. The price already went up about $100 from the original quote. I'd say if you think this is something you'll be interested plan on spending $400 or better on one. I'm planning to get a run of 10 done, if they work well and people are happy with them I may look into getting a second run made.

If it was 10 years ago I'd look at being more aggressive on these.

cj428mach

Established Member
Good news! I got an email from the shop working on the pulley saying they're designing it in cad. They said the bushing holes are tapered in diameter and want me to bring in some of the bushing material to find the proper size to make the bushing bores.

Unfortunately im working out of town during business hours so ill have to see if I can get someone else to drop it off for me.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What about doing some kind of solid mount? That way there's no chance of beating up like what's happened to malcom.

cj428mach

Established Member
Well the beauty of this is im only getting the pulley made and it'll be up to the end user to assemble.

Me personally I want a shock absorbers on the lower. Malcolm is trying poly bushings now so hopefully he'll report a long-term fix for blowers that are harder on the stock bushing material.

I feel the core group of people who are in the market for a larger lower pulley are owners of cars with eatons or with the smaller 2.2, 2.3 aftermarket blowers that aren't as hard on lowers. I think there are very few guys with big blowers needing a lower, as that's why they bought them.

I don't plan to get solid bushings made.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
Also, solid bushings aren't a real good idea. From what I've learned, look up what a cog setup does to crank snouts and WHY it causes them to fail. That bushing is there for a good reason and people don't use cog setups on roots and twin screws for good reason. A poly bushing however might not be a bad idea!

cj428mach

Established Member
My fiance got the bushing material dropped off yesterday morning for me. Hopefully they can keep on the project now.

cj428mach

Established Member
am i too late to get into the buy?

There really isn't a "group buy" at this point. The shop told me that basically I could have one really expensive pulley made read that as 4 figures or I could have more than one built and break out the costs to more realistic numbers. So the initial plan is to have 10 of them made, 2 of them would be spoken for (Me and a buddy) the rest would be available for sale.

The only down side to buying a large group is that what if they don't work? I mean what if something in the design wasn't right or I didn't convey what I wanted correctly? I know the shop is certainly qualified to make the pulley and would stand behind any mistake they would make but if I didn't explain something right and the pulley won't fit, or doesn't work. Then I'm out a ton of money. If the initial batch is successful and all sell then maybe a second batch group buy would be possible.

Anyways for an update-

The shop emailed me today saying they have the pulley designed in CAD and they will start producing it once I approve it. Unfortunately, I've been working out of town all day, everyday, and probably will be unavailable to look at the drawing until the start of next week. There is a tiny chance I can make it by there sometime this week but i won't be holding my breath. Once I do approve the design, I'll confirm the quantity to be made and hopefully have the first batch made in a few weeks.

pickup_man06

Established Member
well im definitely interested. $400 is still a much better option than any of the other 4# caged lowers that i cant seem to find for sale, haha.
im wanting to turn up the boost this next spring and shoot for a much less conservative tune...in order to do that, i have to overdrive the crank, im already having bad belt slip even on a 3.5 upper. so id like one of these please! im sub'd for updates now as well

MG0h3

Established Member
There really isn't a "group buy" at this point. The shop told me that basically I could have one really expensive pulley made read that as 4 figures or I could have more than one built and break out the costs to more realistic numbers. So the initial plan is to have 10 of them made, 2 of them would be spoken for (Me and a buddy) the rest would be available for sale.

The only down side to buying a large group is that what if they don't work? I mean what if something in the design wasn't right or I didn't convey what I wanted correctly? I know the shop is certainly qualified to make the pulley and would stand behind any mistake they would make but if I didn't explain something right and the pulley won't fit, or doesn't work. Then I'm out a ton of money. If the initial batch is successful and all sell then maybe a second batch group buy would be possible.

Anyways for an update-

The shop emailed me today saying they have the pulley designed in CAD and they will start producing it once I approve it. Unfortunately, I've been working out of town all day, everyday, and probably will be unavailable to look at the drawing until the start of next week. There is a tiny chance I can make it by there sometime this week but i won't be holding my breath. Once I do approve the design, I'll confirm the quantity to be made and hopefully have the first batch made in a few weeks.

I havent reread the entire thread but I believe I remember you giving them a stock setup? I know its a custom build but you would think they would be extremely confident that it would work properly.

Mad Z

Established Member
Well, I have read most of the posts and you have my interest. Keep us updated and if you have one remaining to move, sign me up. $400 or there abouts seems not bad for peace of mind.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I havent reread the entire thread but I believe I remember you giving them a stock setup? I know its a custom build but you would think they would be extremely confident that it would work properly.

While the goal is to copy the stock pulley as much as possible some changes need to be made.

1. The stock pulley spokes aren't very thick as since the pulley is steel it can get away with very thin spokes. These needed to be made thicker now that we're going aluminum.

2. The bushing boss isn't being fully machined on the outside as it just adds extra time/machining costs, this shouldn't have any effect on operation just looks/cost.

3. The addition of a snap ring to hold the bearing into the pulley instead of staking it.

4. The outside diameter of the pulley is being changed.

While it should be something that can be handled with out going over the pulley, I understand 100% why they want my approval before proceeding. The good news is I THINK I'm going to be able to drop by the shop in the AM before heading out of town.

Last edited:

pickup_man06

Established Member
the snap ring idea will be nice. the staking is a pain in the ass and adds time and irritation for the end user. big fan of the snap ring idea!

Users who are viewing this thread