Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
What’s the final cost? I don't have Facebook
Also what else is needed to use it? So far I have:
-Innovator's West balancer with Metco adapter
-Metco 2 or 4 lbs lower pulley ring
Anything else?

Thanks
Ken

MG0h3

Established Member
What’s the final cost? I don't have Facebook
Also what else is needed to use it? So far I have:
-Innovator's West balancer with Metco adapter
-Metco 2 or 4 lbs lower pulley ring
Anything else?

Thanks
Ken

They said 1250-1500.

Guess you’ll have 2k into by the time you’re done with the balancer and pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
They said 1250-1500.
Guess you’ll have 2k into by the time you’re done with the balancer and pulley.
Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Still cheaper than a billet crank shaft plus the benefits of the damper! Cheaper than trashing a motor too!
I'll be using one on my next motor for peace of mind. Probably wouldn't need it with an auto trans and a 3.0L Gen 5 Whipple but why take chance. Unless something pops up drastically cheaper that's just as robust, I'll definitely be running one!
I love that there are still guys out putting the effort in to improve a 16+ year old car!
Great Job!

Ken

NMB2

Established Member
Live on Lethal Performance now

J2Fab Crank Support System 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra

CSSPromo1.png

GM2Ford

Established Member

That’s a nice peace, & super cool that it allows for interchangeable 8 & 10 rib rings.

Those who have upgraded their radiators to say a “custom 2in Dewitts,” or thicker similar sorts, I imagine would probably have fitment trouble even if they’re still using a stock fan.

I’m using a custom 2in radiator AND a 1997 Mark VIII fan. Those who are running that radiator fan know that it moves some MAJOR air, but it’s a bulky sum-b***h.

So combine those 2 together, with the radiator hose right down the center & it would seem that you literally have no room for this J2Fab piece. Which sucks because for myself to consider using this, I’d have to investigate a different rad/rad fan setup (from what I already have and like which keeps my engine temps very stable).

Nonetheless, it does seem like the safe haven for all of us running bigger blowers & spinning them hard that we’ve been looking for, regarding the crank + lower pulley woes.

I’d like to have this & J2Fab’s Intercooler + Heat Exchanger! J2Fab makes amazing stuff & imo is solving all of the twin screw high hp terminator owners problems!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I got some cobra caged lower pulley hub lock plates made up and they are for sale here:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/cobra-caged-lower-pulley-hub-locks-for-sale.1188773/
I got some cobra caged lower pulley hub lock plates made up and they are for sale here:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/cobra-caged-lower-pulley-hub-locks-for-sale.1188773/

Darn I wished I had known you needed some. I got a stack of lock plates made just like yours. I would have sold it to you for next to nothing as they be been in the back seat of my truck forever.

schinderling

Established Member
This morning i was looking over the lower pulley and I could see several threads of the center drive shaft sticking out past the tribar assembly. There was much more of the shaft sticking out than when i originally assembled the lower.

I removed the lower and disassembled it in order to determine what went wrong. The problem is the tribar assembly essentially over tightened itself on the shaft beginning to mushroom the threaded area of the tribar assembly. While nothing had failed it was easy to see that it wasn't going to last.

Stock lower- The threaded shaft is flush with the tribar assembly.
33njl1h.jpg

Over tightened lower-You can see how many threads are sticking out of the front.
2dbl6bl.jpg

Stock Lower- The out side of the threaded area of the tribar is even with the drive assembly
so0eih.jpg

Over tightened Lower- The threaded area has been "Bubbled" out because the threaded area of the tribar has been compressed.
vb2fs.jpg

I spent the afternoon building 2 anti-tightening plates and will mount them via studs like others have done. I'm going to visit with the machine shop and see how quickly they could work something up. Sam AKA Cozmo has volunteered to possibly help build some up anti-tightening plates for this run just to get them going. I will have to see about getting them mass produced though in the future as they're obviously a must as my testing and the previous caged pulley makers have shown.

There is also some good news for people that aren't needing 4lb lowers as I when I was picking up the lowers the shop owner told me it would be no big deal to change the outside pulley diameter. Thus opening up the option for 2lb and maybe even -2lb for larger blower guys. Sorry I can assure people that there won't be 6lb available as it will only add more headaches to the project.

For everyone thats sticking with the project and paying attention I do appreciate it. I hope to get the new parts whipped up ASAP and get these pulleys available to people that want them.

Here are pics of the piece I welded up today that I hope to get made as well to accompany the 4lb lower. You can see the 14mm shaft in the center prevents turning and is bolted to the tribar. This will probably be studs pressed in as then you don't need welding on the tribar.
wme2c8.jpg

dm8utz.jpg

schinderling

Established Member
I know it's an old thread, but I'm interested in doing this. Is there anyway you can send me pics from post 194? I can't see any of your pics in this thread at all.

cj428mach

Established Member
What are you wanting to do? you quoted the post with building the lock plates, if you're just wanting to sure up a stock lower then its not a bad idea. I have some lock plate material cut if you want to build your own.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
@schinderling
I’m curious as to what you are building too. It sounds like from your post above that you’re in fact building more complete caged lower assemblies to sell with 4lbs and possibly 2lbs and -2lbs changeable pulleys. Sorry if I missed something stating this earlier but it’s been a long time since this thread was updated and I didn’t feel like going back and reading the last 10 or so pages to find out. If that’s the case I may be interested!
Thanks
Ken

schinderling

Established Member
What are you wanting to do? you quoted the post with building the lock plates, if you're just wanting to sure up a stock lower then its not a bad idea. I have some lock plate material cut if you want to build your own.
I was trying to see your pics of the lock plates. It was hard to picture in my head how they worked without seeing them. A few pages later I found some pics of how the installed. If you have some extra, that's cool if you want to let one go. But it's something I can make at work. No big deal either way. The stainless studs would be nice. I assume I can find them at McMaster Carr or something. If you have extra I'd definitely take 3 of those. If not maybe the deminsions of the treads and shaft would help.

This is an awesome thread by the way. You did a great job. It's a lot to read, but worth it. I wish it showed me the pics you posted though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
@schinderling
I’m curious as to what you are building too. It sounds like from your post above that you’re in fact building more complete caged lower assemblies to sell with 4lbs and possibly 2lbs and -2lbs changeable pulleys. Sorry if I missed something stating this earlier but it’s been a long time since this thread was updated and I didn’t feel like going back and reading the last 10 or so pages to find out. If that’s the case I may be interested!
Thanks
Ken

i would also! i need a solution for my detiorated stock lower pulley but i don''t want to try to rebuild it myself and don't want to try my luck with a used one from ebay. (i bought a metco but haven't installed it yet, would like to try to keep the factory cage)

schinderling

Established Member
@schinderling
Thanks
Ken
I just bought a lower cage assembly. I am going to do the full disassembly and reassembly with a 4lb lower. I don't know if I'd want to build and sell. I just like to build stuff on the side for fun. Especially sense I would have to rely on a machinist for this one. Too many people involved for me.

I know there are some for sale, but they are more than I'm willing to pay. I really want a 4lb lower and I think this is the only way I'd do it. I'll see how it goes, and let you know though.

cj428mach

Established Member
I was trying to see your pics of the lock plates. It was hard to picture in my head how they worked without seeing them. A few pages later I found some pics of how the installed. If you have some extra, that's cool if you want to let one go. But it's something I can make at work. No big deal either way. The stainless studs would be nice. I assume I can find them at McMaster Carr or something. If you have extra I'd definitely take 3 of those. If not maybe the deminsions of the treads and shaft would help.

This is an awesome thread by the way. You did a great job. It's a lot to read, but worth it. I wish it showed me the pics you posted though.

The studs are the hard part as I couldn't find anything anywhere that would work. I had those custom machined, I have 3 studs left but I'm holding on to them in case I'd need them. I have had luck taping the 3 existing holes out to 3/8" national fine and then installing studs from my local ace hardware.

If you have access cnc machines, I may have the CAD file for the locking hubs. I'd have to check.

schinderling

Established Member
The studs are the hard part as I couldn't find anything anywhere that would work. I had those custom machined, I have 3 studs left but I'm holding on to them in case I'd need them. I have had luck taping the 3 existing holes out to 3/8" national fine and then installing studs from my local ace hardware.

If you have access cnc machines, I may have the CAD file for the locking hubs. I'd have to check.
Where did you get the 14mm hex bar stock at?
If you could just send me a pic of the size of the stud that will work? I think I found some at work.
Yes we have cnc equipment at work with Autocad.

Users who are viewing this thread