You New Edge guys won't like this...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob Cosby said:
LOL. Funny stuff. Let me add just a bit, if I may. And be advised that there is some fact and some personal preference in this. I hope it is obvious which is which.

03/04 Cobras are faster, stock to stock, than 99/01.

03/04 Cobras are easier to make faster with bolt-ons. Actually, that's probably better written as "easier to make big power with bolt-ons". Either way, they're going to be quicker/faster.

I've had both a 99 Cobra and an 04 Cobra. My 550 RWHP 2004 was a sweet car - but given the opportunity, I'd take the 355 RWHP 99 in a heartbeat.
Thanks for your post Bob. I think you've pretty much showed that both cars can be made to go faster, and that bottom line it is really a personal preference as to which car (03/04 or 99/01) a person drives. Frankly I'd take either. Both are winners IMO. I think we need to save our energy and get ready for a renewal of the Mustang/Camaro (and Challenger) wars! ;-)

SVT GuY 281SC

Banned
I really like the 96-01 cobras and especially the 01, but you guys need to chill, the 99-01 isn't a bad car, its just the 03-04 is superior in many ways that the 99-01 lacks in (mod response, etc.) but the 03 also falls short in areas the 99-01 exceeds in (03 is heavy, 99 is lighter, etc.) so in the end i think there shouldn't be an agrument..

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
This is one stupid argument. Given the ability to launch effectively the so called "New Edge" Cobras with the bolt-ons cannot beat an pullied 03/04.

A ported blower, 6 speed, IRS cobra has gone deep into the 10s. Has a bolt on 99/01?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
poopy01 said:
So your saying that it takes a 99 cobra 400bhp to hit 12's...your a tool.

you're the tool.

it is very commonly known that every tenth is 10bhp.

Therefore, all else being equal, yes, you will need 80bhp to go 8 tenths faster.

When you change gearing, weight, traction, etc, that all changes.

However, i was referring to to power only.

therefore, go **** yourself

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I've had both, and I like both for different reasons. IMO, the Term is far superior, but at a price. At times, nearly twice that of an equal new edge (99 atleast). But also IMO, worth it.

I feel I sort of have the best of both now with the aluminum block and solid axle, I should be equal in weight to a new edge, or atleast close. With the power it's making, and my experience in racing (street and strip), I feel the car can hold it's own. Unfortunately I have no quarter times in it yet, so I'm making no claims as to who I can or can't beat.

New edges around Utah are rare, and modded ones are even more rare, so I really can't say I've seen any fast ones. But mod for mod, and driver for driver, a term would own everytime.

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
LOL. Funny stuff. Let me add just a bit, if I may. And be advised that there is some fact and some personal preference in this. I hope it is obvious which is which.

03/04 Cobras are faster, stock to stock, than 99/01.

03/04 Cobras are easier to make faster with bolt-ons. Actually, that's probably better written as "easier to make big power with bolt-ons". Either way, they're going to be quicker/faster.

I've had both a 99 Cobra and an 04 Cobra. My 550 RWHP 2004 was a sweet car - but given the opportunity, I'd take the 355 RWHP 99 in a heartbeat.

Bob, you are a very respected individual in the world of SVTPerformance. Your opinion has always been valued by me and I generally would take your word as gold here. And in this situation I do agree with you, except in that I would rather have a 550rwhp term vs a 350 rwhp new edge. I would rather have a 400rwhp new edge over a term though.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I've had both, and I like both for different reasons. IMO, the Term is far superior, but at a price. At times, nearly twice that of an equal new edge (99 atleast). But also IMO, worth it.

I feel I sort of have the best of both now with the aluminum block and solid axle, I should be equal in weight to a new edge, or atleast close. With the power it's making, and my experience in racing (street and strip), I feel the car can hold it's own. Unfortunately I have no quarter times in it yet, so I'm making no claims as to who I can or can't beat.

New edges around Utah are rare, and modded ones are even more rare, so I really can't say I've seen any fast ones. But mod for mod, and driver for driver, a term would own everytime.

One of the things I really enjoy about my brother's 99 is how balanced & nimble it feels. My 03 feels very front heavy...and indeed it is. If you had your solid axle in before the aluminum block, you definitely know what I mean. Did going to the aluminum block help with that quite a bit?

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
I love Terminators and New edge cars. Alot of my friends have terminators and I have not experienced any hate from them. They know that I can run with a few of them and maybe thats why. There are always gonna be assclowns in Terminators and new edge cars. Just enjoy what you have. Its not about who goes faster, its about the love of the snake and I love mine.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Can't we all just get along, sounds like the same crap with the Terminator and GT500 guys. Who cares they are all FORDs!!!!!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
from the videos i've seen, sonic4.6's cobra might surprise many a stock pulleyed terminator owner (myself included).

granted i am not a very good driver - i still haven't piloted my 400+whp machine into the 12's, but the way it is geared it seems extremely quick

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
from the videos i've seen, sonic4.6's cobra might surprise many a stock pulleyed terminator owner (myself included).

granted i am not a very good driver - i still haven't piloted my 400+whp machine into the 12's, but the way it is geared it seems extremely quick

Agreed, that man can drive like a mother focker.. No doubt.. I think it would beat quadropalegicammer too.. :pop:

But on a SERIOUS note, Sonic can drive the **** outta a cobra.. Post some vids man..

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
sonic_4.6 said:
I guess I don’t really know how to explain it.
Here lately I have seen a lot of people look down on the 99/01 just because it is a piss-on compared to a 03-04. I guess It just bothers me, because the 99/01 seems to be overlooked in many people’s eyes. I get tired of people asking me why I didn’t buy a real Cobra etc etc. Its almost to the point where I don’t even like the 03-04s because of how people look at them.
Lol, I tried to change my order on the bumpers I bought yesterday because I decieded that I didn’t want my car to look like a Terminator, but it was too late. (I bought front and rear 03 bumpers.)

I know your pain. If i hear another dyno result from another pulley'd cobra, ima shoot myself :cuss: . I love them, id pimp one so bad, but Im tired of hearing of them.

Id like to see more on n/a cobras (all of them) and Mach Funs :D

Nazman

Established Member
Wow, crazy thread!!!

Terminators are very, very quick cars with the right driver. I can tell you that I have killed quite a few. I have killed a pullied (2.80 uppler/4PSI lower)/Tuned, CAI'd & Exhaust'ed Terminator ON MOTOR and pulled on it hard....ON MOTOR. There is a video that has been posted all over so find it if you want it. Yes, I make a bit more power than the traditional bolt-on 99-01 but the Terminator boys will cry and say that I run 4.56s or that Im lighter. Either way, I pulled several car lenghts on it very quicly with a NA combo.

More recently (about 2 weeks back) I killed me a Whipple'd & Cammed Terminator @ 18 PSI that made "620+RWHP & 600+TQ" not just one but 4 times in the row from 2nd and 3rd gear rolls to o/a 130 MPH (my 4th gear RPM limiter @ 7500RPMs) which is more geared towards power/torque and not soo much about the driver like on a drag race. Those kills were on a 150 shoot. How much was the W/C'd Terminator got killed? How about o/a 3 car lenghts. Not bad for a car making low 600s on a 150 shoot with 100 FTLBS less in TQ and NO power shifting. Again, the lower weight and gearing played big on the New Edge.

Anyhow, a properly geared/bolt-on New Edge will give lightly moded Terminators a good run specially in a short light to light race or 1/8th mile.

Naz

Users who are viewing this thread