Who refuses to spend their money on shiny rocks?

96gt02

Established Member
these are excellent points because there is definitely a difference in getting a ring out of obligation vs. Getting a ring because you want to.

I didn't have to spend a lot of money on a ring for my wife. She would have said yes if all i could offer was a bit of bailing twine. And that to me is the difference. I didn't have to get her a nice ring, i wanted to.

couldnt agree more!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
As others have said, it depends on the woman what you spend. Mine wanted to pick out the ring, she has to wear it so why not. She liked a small diamond as she has tiny fingers, as in my pinky is as wide as her thumb. We got a damn good stone at a good price because of size. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
OP thinks that the ring is somehow an item of choice, it is not, certainly not if there is any interest in a long term relationship. The ring is a statement of commitment and an item of pride that she can share with her friends and family.

And this is a societal problem that only started in the last 100 years. It's a marketing gimmick. Prior to the Victorian era rings where not encrusted with diamonds and jewels.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I think we spent around $4500 for my wifes diamond and wedding band. WAY less than 3 months salary LOL.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You don't buy the ring for you, you buy it for her because it would make her happy. That said, nothing says you have to go to the local mall and get bent over. You talk it over and find out what works. Some gals are funny about used and some could care less. A good jeweler can take pretty much any ring and make it look new.

If you can't put some work into finding a ring, marriage isn't for you.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You don't buy the ring for you, you buy it for her because it would make her happy. That said, nothing says you have to go to the local mall and get bent over. You talk it over and find out what works. Some gals are funny about used and some could care less. A good jeweler can take pretty much any ring and make it look new.

If you can't put some work into finding a ring, marriage isn't for you.

Yup. Shit, I went to Costco for a ring. Saved a lot of money going there compared to a major jewelry store and got a nice quality ring.

Then once I got the ring, I went to a couple family owned jewelry stores to verify the ring was legit/spec'd out accurately. It was.
She couldn't care less where it came from or how much it cost. It was something she wanted and it made her very happy.

She also buys me stuff, that she may not see too much value in, but does it anyways because it makes me happy.

08mojo

Established Member
But it's not their money. That is the kicker.

I had this mindset before, but have become older and wiser (the wiser part is debatable:D). Once you are married, no matter who makes the money or if you both make money and have seperate accounts--it becomes the family's money. Maybe not all of the money, but definitely some of the money.

And this is a societal problem that only started in the last 100 years. It's a marketing gimmick. Prior to the Victorian era rings where not encrusted with diamonds and jewels.

I don't see it as a problem. A ring is something you have to decide on--it is not forced on anyone.

ssssnake

Established Member
Big or lots of diamonds are pretty, but they make me nervous. Nervous I'm going to lose my ring, lose a stone, or someone stealing it. My wedding ring was not even a carat, but I picked it out many years ago and love it. LOL $350 at Zales.

jbs$

Established Member

Agreed, however, I suspect that you were born somewhere within the past one-hundred years so, unless you wish to be a soon divorced prick, buy a suitable and affordable ring.

Coiled03

Established Member
Custom designed $10K engagement ring, and another $7K on a custom wedding band. At the time, it was all worth it, because I knew it would make her happy. In the end, it didn't matter.....still got divorced.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, however, I suspect that you were born somewhere within the past one-hundred years so, unless you wish to be a soon divorced prick, buy a suitable and affordable ring.

Right after she drops $10k on me to show her appreciation.

Sorry but I don't want to be with anyone that expects me to bank roll their ass to feel valued.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Custom designed $10K engagement ring, and another $7K on a custom wedding band. At the time, it was all worth it, because I knew it would make her happy. In the end, it didn't matter.....still got divorced.

But diamonds are forever!!! Should have spent more!!!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Right after she drops $10k on me to show her appreciation.

Sorry but I don't want to be with anyone that expects me to bank roll their ass to feel valued.

If you have this type of mindset, you're either with the wrong girl, or you simply aren't ready or don't want marriage. There's nothing wrong with that however. Marriage is not for everybody and this is why threads like this shouldn't be an argument about what to spend, or why you feel you have to.

Your statement goes beyond the ring and is a core tenant of marriage itself. It's not always equal even if you try to be and there's a lot of compromise to make it work. If you're not willing to take the short straw or compromise about what you want, marriage is probably not a great option. Fortunately everyone here has a choice and neither is wrong or right for anybody else except themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread