Who refuses to spend their money on shiny rocks?

Rct851

Established Member
If you've got it figured out, you're married to Beyoncé with a $200 ring, right?

My girls been through the ****ing ringer with me. Two surgeries, still experiencing complications, job swaps that turned into career swaps, plus I know I'm not easy to put up with or live with. She deserves the world after putting up with my ass. Hell I was running from the police on our second date, in her car. Hahahaha

Seems like you have a pattern in your comments of being an absolute contrarian and giving examples to the extreme one way or another to fit an arguement. My example of 49% vs 51% would suggest I am in no way certain of the situation and am straddling the fence about even.

This wasn't a thread to question why anyone makes a decision as much as just differing philosophy's.

Not at all about what the girl deserves. It's clear a lot of us wouldn't gladly give our significant other an island if we could for putting up with our shit, it's a question of pressure from society and taking flak for not over reaching

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
But to some it's not over reaching. That's what I'm saying and you're missing. Every single person is different. And although some may adopt your mindset of 'meh, she'll like whatever i give her', most will not. I bet if you delved deeper into the commonalities, you'll see the majority that share he mindset you do, are single. And the others are not.

Point blank : it seems like a bachelors mentality.

Rct851

Established Member
But to some it's not over reaching. That's what I'm saying and you're missing. Every single person is different. And although some may adopt your mindset of 'meh, she'll like whatever i give her', most will not. I bet if you delved deeper into the commonalities, you'll see the majority that share he mindset you do, are single. And the others are not.

probably struggling with this because I agree

Zemedici

Established Member
probably struggling with this because I agree

All good brotha. Like I've been saying different strokes different folks. What works for me wouldn't work for someone else and vise versa. No worries. I know my examples are extreme, but I do that to get my points across without room for misinterpretation, you know? :beer:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Just buy the flipping ring now and set the wedding date for the summer 2050.That will give you plenty of time and you may even get the ring back someday.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Id hope that the wife I decide to marry is releatively practical. Ive got friends planning $20k weddings.. Im like... **** it, spend that on a house down payment, buy a nice but modest ring and lets start off with a HOME. **** a monster wedding.... at least I hope the woman I decide to marry feels that same way lol.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think the key difference is understanding the difference between refusing to and not wanting to. I didnt want to spend what i spent on her ring, it was a reasonable amount, but it was still a lot of money. I did it because i love her though, and i imagine throughout our lives there will be several things i do that i dont want to, and the root cause will still be "because i love her." That's a two way street though, i am sure there will be just as many times where she has to do things she doesnt want to do because she loves me.

Hell, as i type this she is paying for me to go back to school. I'm sure she would have rather me just kept the job my previous degree got me, but she recognized i wasnt happy and is now supporting me through school for a career change. We could have a house right now, be paying off debt, have nicer things... instead we live modestly in a mid sized apartment. If all i had to do was "buy her a shiny rock," then i am a very lucky man indeed.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
i got lucky with my wife, she wanted to use a stone her grandmother gave her so i just had to buy the setting.

I was prepared to buy thee stone too though. She's a great person and i wanted her to be happy.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I think the key difference is understanding the difference between refusing to and not wanting to. I didnt want to spend what i spent on her ring, it was a reasonable amount, but it was still a lot of money. I did it because i love her though, and i imagine throughout our lives there will be several things i do that i dont want to, and the root cause will still be "because i love her." That's a two way street though, i am sure there will be just as many times where she has to do things she doesnt want to do because she loves me.

Hell, as i type this she is paying for me to go back to school. I'm sure she would have rather me just kept the job my previous degree got me, but she recognized i wasnt happy and is now supporting me through school for a career change. We could have a house right now, be paying off debt, have nicer things... instead we live modestly in a mid sized apartment. If all i had to do was "buy her a shiny rock," then i am a very lucky man indeed.

These are excellent points because there is definitely a difference in getting a ring out of obligation vs. getting a ring because you want to.

I didn't have to spend a lot of money on a ring for my wife. She would have said yes if all I could offer was a bit of bailing twine. And that to me is the difference. I didn't have to get her a nice ring, I wanted to.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
my wife hates diamonds and loves sapphires. Expensive rings are nothing more then for showing off not showing love

aka I got to buy affordable wedding ring

jbs$

Established Member
OP thinks that the ring is somehow an item of choice, it is not, certainly not if there is any interest in a long term relationship. The ring is a statement of commitment and an item of pride that she can share with her friends and family. Sure, you can be known as the prick, too cheap to even purahase a ring, the divorce attorney will love that, or you can man up and do right on the front end. Regardless of what she says about "it's ok, I don't need one", she is lying to please you but it won't last. Your cheapness will bug her until the bitter end.

OP you're probably not marriage material buddy.

A lot of guys today have a real lousy attitude when it comes to spending $ on engagement rings. And men are wasting loads of money on things that women would consider equally pointless.

You should be proud to buy a woman an engagement ring and to have her accept it. If its just another expense to you or you look at the expense with utter contempt, then you really should be forever lonely. lol

Good women are not a dime a dozen. Though most American women are pigs.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Find the one that cares more about what the golden band represents rather than the pointless stone. If you are pissing away money you don't have on a ring or wedding you're making a mistake imo.

jbs$

Established Member
Find the one that cares more about what the golden band represents rather than the pointless stone. If you are pissing away money you don't have on a ring or wedding you're making a mistake imo.

You miss the point, you do not and should not buy something that you cannot afford. If that is what is being demanded of you, dump her now, it is cheaper. The point is purchase a small ring that you can afford and promised a better one in the future. Present yourself as a man worth being committed to. To go into debt now for a ring that you will resent only shows poor judgement and immaturity.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
i don't get the point of the OP. So one should only worry about their savings account compared to their debt? Oversimplification of an enormously complicated situtation to justify ones belief of something being stupid. Yup OP, invest in Kleenex ands Jergens cuz homie forever alone you will be.

Never_Enough

Established Member

You don't have to get married to be in a relationship or live happily ever after.

Users who are viewing this thread