Who refuses to spend their money on shiny rocks?

Rct851

Established Member
Can't do it. Probably be forever alone but I just can't do it. How many people owe more on their cars and homes then they have in savings but are buying pointless rocks to prove you are an adequate mate?

Eggs are so expensive and the economy sucks derp

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
are there actually that many people buying there first homes (for example)..that are well within there budget that have $200k in savings? thats an odd comparison to make in regards to buying a ring.

Rct851

Established Member
are there actually that many people buying there first homes (for example)..that are well within there budget that have $200k in savings? thats an odd comparison to make in regards to buying a ring.

No but it's kinda the point.

Travis

Established Member
i bought a smaller, high quality stone for my wife. we both agreed that spending ludicrous amounts of money on a ring made zero sense for us. would much rather have more money in the bank than a big diamond. her agreement with that solidified the fact that I had made the right choice proposing to her

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
when buying at real cost its not bad. The mark up is the kicker. Its semantics. We could argue we all do a lot of things that really have no point and are expensive.

Machdup1

Established Member
Can't do it. Probably be forever alone but I just can't do it. How many people owe more on their cars and homes then they have in savings but are buying pointless rocks to prove you are an adequate mate?

Eggs are so expensive and the economy sucks derp

Take your lady to see the movie "blood diamonds" and after the movie tell her your social conscience won't let you support a system that victimizes the poor and causes war and suffering untold.

Remember you aren't cheap, you are principaled.

Zemedici

Established Member
It's just money, can't take it with you. Besides : 'expensive' is relative. What is astronomical for another person may be a drop in the bucket for others, etc etc.

SirShaun

Established Member
My wife and I went pawn shopping for her engagement ring. We found the same ring she had fell in love with at one of those mall stores for 1/4 of the price. Got it resized and all is well.

She opted for a plain wedding band, i got on Amazon, and she hasn't taken it off since we got married.

I lucked out. I've seen some of my friends waste so much money on wedding rings, and like you, I just couldn't do it. It was way more fun pawn shopping than mall crawling.

Rct851

Established Member
It's just money, can't take it with you. Besides : 'expensive' is relative. What is astronomical for another person may be a drop in the bucket for others, etc etc.
Right but there's plenty of statistics showing what % of the population has "drop in the bucket" money compared to the average price that gets thrown around for rings.

It was new news to me when I recently heard an argument of 1/3 yearly pay...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I like car parts, my wife likes diamonds. I get car parts, she gets diamonds. That's fair and if you don't get that, then marriage isn't for you.

Here's the thing about most jewelry, it doesn't tend to drop in value significantly and in some cases may increase in value. Yes, De Beers owns the market and the whole thing is a farce, but you're still not going to lose your ass on a ring like you do on a brand new car. If your comparing 20k in fine jewelry to 20k on a car, you're much better off buying the jewelry.

Zemedici

Established Member
Right but there's plenty of statistics showing what % of the population has "drop in the bucket" money compared to the average price that gets thrown around for rings.

It was new news to me when I recently heard an argument of 1/3 yearly pay...

Again, 1/3 of someone else's pay could be what you make in 2 weeks. My father taught me to get your girl the ring you believe she deserves, and my girl deserves the best ring I can buy. Which will be what she gets. What it costs doesn't matter, what matters is that it's what she likes and it's what she enjoys.

I like car parts, my wife likes diamonds. I get car parts, she gets diamonds. That's fair and if you don't get that, then marriage isn't for you.

Here's the thing about most jewelry, it doesn't tend to drop in value significantly and in some cases may increase in value. Yes, De Beers owns the market and the whole thing is a farce, but you're still not going to lose your ass on a ring like you do on a brand new car. If your comparing 20k in fine jewelry to 20k on a car, you're much better off buying the jewelry.

This. Think about what we spend on our cars. I put $15k into my 04, $5k into my 2015, and I've put $3k into my 03 in a few months I've had it. Add all that up and that's a $25k ring.

My wears a house.

Same way my girls gonna be. Besides guys compete with cars, and girls do it with jewelry.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Women are on another forum complaining that we spend too much on our stupid cars right now...

Never_Enough

Established Member
If your woman is complaining about a piece of jewelry, she's not marrying you for the right reasons & you need to get out.

Rct851

Established Member
Op, you sound like a cheap bastard.

49% of the time I feel like that's completely accurate and I hate it. The other 51% of the time I feel like maybe I have it a little more figured out then most and an ability to not be swayed by the "norm".

Zemedici

Established Member
If you've got it figured out, you're married to Beyoncé with a $200 ring, right?

My girls been through the ****ing ringer with me. Two surgeries, still experiencing complications, job swaps that turned into career swaps, plus I know I'm not easy to put up with or live with. She deserves the world after putting up with my ass. Hell I was running from the police on our second date, in her car. Hahahaha

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
If you've got it figured out, you're married to Beyoncé with a $200 ring, right?

My girls been through the ****ing ringer with me. Two surgeries, still experiencing complications, job swaps that turned into career swaps, plus I know I'm not easy to put up with or live with. She deserves the world after putting up with my ass. Hell I was running from the police on our second date, in her car. Hahahaha

So she's perfect? C'mon relationships go both ways. Equal effort by both parties.

Users who are viewing this thread