Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

stang910

Established Member
If your running the stock intake it's more then likely your issue. If I remember correctly I never seen more then 8-9psi with the factory air box

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I'm running a JLT CAI but it could be dirty. It's not horribly dirty but who knows.

JLT is your problem. Take the intake off and you'll probably see your lost PSI. JLT for these cars is junk, no way I'd be running one especially on a boosted car.

2012csgt

Established Member
JLT is your problem. Take the intake off and you'll probably see your lost PSI. JLT for these cars is junk, no way I'd be running one especially on a boosted car.

JlLT not your problem at all. I've ran it without an intake and saw no improvement over the JLT. I've run the screen too. Again no improvement. That's def not your issue. Throw a 3.15 high traction on there and let her eat!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Geez.

You people are over thinking this.

The belt is slipping or you have a giant boost leak.

So giant that a 1000hp blower can't muster up enough air to blow over 10 psi ---- yeah not so much.

BELT SLIP. Install 8 rib or install less aggressive rear gears!

lshin037

Established Member
Geez.

You people are over thinking this.

The belt is slipping or you have a giant boost leak.

So giant that a 1000hp blower can't muster up enough air to blow over 10 psi ---- yeah not so much.

BELT SLIP. Install 8 rib or install less aggressive rear gears!

Have you installed the gears yet?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No. It's a full weekend job I'm not looking forward to.

Sad part is I installed a 3.6 and it makes as much or more boost as the 3.33 I had on it.

Moral of story--3.33 too small for 6 rib and 3.73s in my opinion.

I know some folks disagree with this and if I ever disprove myself I'll be happy to share my findings.

That said, I've owned 500+ horsepower 4 cylinder turbo DSMs on 30+ psi that needed boost leak testing every other weekend with that much air running through the system so I'm no stranger to this whole process.

Add to this the fact that my blower had a shit ton of dust build up also.

Belts are slipping unfortunately.

lshin037

Established Member
No. It's a full weekend job I'm not looking forward to.

Sad part is I installed a 3.6 and it makes as much or more boost as the 3.33 I had on it.

Moral of story--3.33 too small for 6 rib and 3.73s in my opinion.

I know some folks disagree with this and if I ever disprove myself I'll be happy to share my findings.

That said, I've owned 500+ horsepower 4 cylinder turbo DSMs on 30+ psi that needed boost leak testing every other weekend with that much air running through the system so I'm no stranger to this whole process.

Add to this the fact that my blower had a shit ton of dust build up also.

Belts are slipping unfortunately.

I'm gonna test for leak using your method. If it's not leaking, I plan on just going back to the stock setup.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My car ran really nice with the 3.8 but I wanted more.

I have the 3.6 on it now and am REALLY happy with the car. Give it a shot.

lshin037

Established Member
My car ran really nice with the 3.8 but I wanted more.

I have the 3.6 on it now and am REALLY happy with the car. Give it a shot.

I have the vortech so it came with a 3.6 pulley. I think the next one down is 3.47 but I think I'll stick with 3.6 after this fiasco

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im going to buy a 3.47 next and give it a shot on leaded race gas and low timing.

Folks have gone 9s on that pulley.

RusWolf

Established Member
OP find a shop with smoke machine and have the smoke test your car, it may cost you around $100 or so however it will make finding leaks a lot easier.

Also i just spotted a post by another user that MAY help you as it seems he had the same problem as you.

Originally Posted by Buster
I found my problem and I bet it's the same problem your having. Make sure the line that goes to the bypass is not after those goofy check valves, otherwise there won't be any pressure source to keep the bypass closed. I just picked up 6 pounds of boost and the car feels like a 700 hp car now.

^^^ So, based on this quadruple check your by-pass and connections to it and make sure everything is installed correctly, all vacuum lines properly connected and go where they are supposed to go.

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Im going to buy a 3.47 next and give it a shot on leaded race gas and low timing.

Folks have gone 9s on that pulley.

I run 3.33 with 6 rib no belt slip logs to back it up 1500 miles on it still going strong! It was PITA to get the correct holes on bracket and belt on but tensioner was not maxed out never sprayed it with sticky stuff either! I think as Russ Wolf stated double check WG vacuum setup that or belt slip but I doubt it from my experience if bracket is setup correct and WG is plumbed correct it works like a champ!

2012csgt

Established Member
I have the vortech so it came with a 3.6 pulley. I think the next one down is 3.47 but I think I'll stick with 3.6 after this fiasco

I didn't know you had a Vortech V3, I thought you had a Paxton. I have a V3 and for reference, I made 10 psi @ 7600 with the 3.40 on mine. Not sure how high your spinning the motor too but if your only going to 7000 you may not be far off with your boost. I then went to a 3.33, than a 3.25, than a 3.125 ( made 13 psi on the 3.125, 745rwhp on E85) and now a 2.95. I have tried them all. I ran a 3.48 in the beginning for a very long time with no issues or belt slip. I believe I used a 102.5 inch belt with the idler on the very first hole from the left. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

lshin037

Established Member
OP find a shop with smoke machine and have the smoke test your car, it may cost you around $100 or so however it will make finding leaks a lot easier.

Also i just spotted a post by another user that MAY help you as it seems he had the same problem as you.

^^^ So, based on this quadruple check your by-pass and connections to it and make sure everything is installed correctly, all vacuum lines properly connected and go where they are supposed to go.

I'm not sure what that poster means by check valves. The line to my BOV is from the brake booster line. There are no check valves in that line.

Mach828

Established Member
Replace your idlers with non slip pulleys. I am running a 3.12" 6 rib pulley with no belt slip. However, I replaced all my idlers with the dayco non slips from summit, which I think really helped. That and my belt is probably an inch shorter than it should be.

Or just run an overdrive lower with a bigger blower pulley.

They look like this
DAC-89003_GI_ml.jpg

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
JlLT not your problem at all. I've ran it without an intake and saw no improvement over the JLT. I've run the screen too. Again no improvement. That's def not your issue. Throw a 3.15 high traction on there and let her eat!

I've heard more often than not the JLT causing issues even further than this.

Users who are viewing this thread