Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

lshin037

Established Member
No. You cannot disconnect the line to the BOV. when there is pressure in the line that goes to the BOV it keeps pressure on top of the valve keeping it closed. you MUST keep pressure in the line when testing.

When the vacuum line going to the BOV sees actual vacuum or LESS psi than is in the charge pipe, then the pressure forcing against the face of the valve from inside the charge pipe "wins" and makes the valve release which is when you hear the PPPSSSHHHHH sound.

When testing for leaks you must keep the vacuum line to the BOV hooked up.

Gotcha. I just did this to test out the BOV and seems to be working. I didn't hear any leaks. Im guessing it would have to be a really big, audible leak if I'm losing around 2-3 psi somewhere. I ordered the JPC Tial BOV. Once it comes, I'm gonna take out the fan shroud and spray all the tubes and vacuum lines with soap water and pressure test again just to be sure.

I'm gonna keep trying but had a thought. I was getting 9.5 psi with the 3.33 pulley and no WG. Boost did come in earlier and the data logs looked good according to Jon Lund II. If I can't find any leaks and I keep monitoring the belt, would it be bad idea to run it like this?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My belt slip with the 3.33 was intermittent. Sometimes I would get 8 psi... Others 10 or 10.5. Never got the 14 psi it should have given.

I personally wouldn't recomend keeping the 3.33 with it slipping.

I've got a 3.6 on mine now and the car runs awesome.

I'll be swapping to 3.27 gears next weekend though so my 3.33 and wastegate will go back on soon.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully it's just BOV. The OP in the post below had to tighten the screw to get his boost back up.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/tur...t-change.html#/forumsite/20549/topics/1381385

I doubt it will be that easy... Wish it was.

Remember we are running relatively low levels of boost. Valves like this can control 20+ psi which we are nowhere near.

I have my BOV adjusted almost all the way out and it still doesn't leak.

Which BOV did they include in your kit?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I just finished installing 3.27 gears... dropping it down off of jack stands now for test drive.

My TQ booster is off at the moment but i'll likely re install it tonight and see what happens.

Famine

Established Member
So with the 8 rib upgrade, what boost should I be ok with before having slipping? I figure if slipping ends up being a big issue, maybe the centri is not for me even though it is currently what I was planning on.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So with the 8 rib upgrade, what boost should I be ok with before having slipping? I figure if slipping ends up being a big issue, maybe the centri is not for me even though it is currently what I was planning on.

Auto or m6? What gears?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You should be fine. I just installed 3.27s and I'm in love with the car all over again.

8 rib will be good DEEP into the 9s on your setup. You could probably get 15+ psi out of an 8 rib setup with minimal slip or none at all.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
You should be fine. I just installed 3.27s and I'm in love with the car all over again.

8 rib will be good DEEP into the 9s on your setup. You could probably get 15+ psi out of an 8 rib setup with minimal slip or none at all.

Have you tried the 3.3 pulley again, to see if it still slips?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No not yet. I need to rework the bracket and move the idler one position over so I haven't had a chance to do it just yet. Most likely next weekend.

2012csgt

Established Member

I am getting 13-14 psi on a 6 rib and I have no problem with slipping. Vortech V3 with a 2.95 pulley.

^^^^ What he said. Min 15 psi. Id say around 18 ish with an 8 Rib and a tight belt.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
little update on my set up... I updated my thread but wanted to post the same thing here so folks who are having the same problem can stay up to date with what's going on.

alright... spent a couple hours on the car yesterday.

Went to Autozone and bought the Duralast equivalent of the k060994HD gates belt which has identical dimensions. It has a 99.4" effective length. Idler pulley is in the 4th hole from left.

I pulled the blower and swapped the 3.33" pulley back on. Cleaned off the dust from the back of the blower to get a good start from scratch.

Installed wastegate setup.

Went for drive. Car is now building 10-11 psi by 6000 rpm which is a HUGE improvement from the last time I ran this set up.

I don't know if its the gear swap or the the 1/2" shorter belt, or what but as of right now im pretty happy. It does not appear to be slipping as of now.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Feels good! Real stoked about it right now. Setup seems to be working like it should at this point.

Happy camper :beer:

lshin037

Established Member
UPDATE:
Came up on a thread where the OP said a smaller belt, K060994HD, worked better so I tried it but it didn't solve my issue. The old belt (K061000HD) didn't look bad at all. Actually couldn't tell the difference between it and the new belt. So looks like gimme11s was right all along and just confirmed it with his gear swap. But my issue is still weird.

Users who are viewing this thread