Torque Booster Kit - only 8 PSI

lshin037

Established Member
There goes your boost. Put a one way check valve in you PCV if you want to keep it, vent the covers, or run a catch can

So you're saying put a one-way check valve on both of the ports AND either run vent covers or catch can? What exactly does this check valve do?

EDIT: Putting a one way valve on both ports would probably not make sense. So just the passenger side, right?

Last edited:

CPRsm

No on both. Anything that you don't want to see boost needs a check valve. Check valve less air pass one way, but not the other. So the PCV can breathe like it should under vacuum to evac the crankcase. But under boost it locks up and forces your boost into the intake where it belongs. If it as a turbo, you would still see your target boost. A blower will only move so much CFM at a given rpm w a pulley. You are essentially bleeding boost off into the crankcase. Depending on your setup you can lose a ton of boost if you side is vented. Maybe not as much if they both go to the intake. But do not boost until you fix. You do no want boost on the backside of the piston rings forcing oil up into the combustion chamber. That's an easy way to lower octane and lose and engine.

lshin037

Established Member
No on both. Anything that you don't want to see boost needs a check valve. Check valve less air pass one way, but not the other. So the PCV can breathe like it should under vacuum to evac the crankcase. But under boost it locks up and forces your boost into the intake where it belongs. If it as a turbo, you would still see your target boost. A blower will only move so much CFM at a given rpm w a pulley. You are essentially bleeding boost off into the crankcase. Depending on your setup you can lose a ton of boost if you side is vented. Maybe not as much if they both go to the intake. But do not boost until you fix. You do no want boost on the backside of the piston rings forcing oil up into the combustion chamber. That's an easy way to lower octane and lose and engine.

Come to think of it, I think the vortech kit did come with a check valve for the passenger side PCV and I didn't put it on when I installed the catch cans. Chit!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Come to think of it, I think the vortech kit did come with a check valve for the passenger side PCV and I didn't put it on when I installed the catch cans. Chit!

That is going to be a huge problem. Make sure you install the check valve and make sure you install it THE RIGHT WAY. How did you miss this in the instructions?

The pass side valve cover goes to a direct open port on the intake manifold which is pressurized when in boost (obviously lol).

EDIT--just realized you are already running catch cans. So the question is WHAT have you done with the port off the intake manifold that used to be fed by the pass side valve cover? Did you block or cap it off?

Last edited:

lshin037

Established Member
I installed the check valve that came with the SC on the passenger side PCV. Still getting 8 psi. I tested the check valve by blowing into it and it lets some air through. I'm gonna try and get some new one way valves from the local auto parts store. Just to be sure, the passenger side PCV should have air flowing from the crankcase to the manifold and the drivers side should be flowing from the crankcase to the intake tube, right?

Gimme11s: I had it on initially and forgot to to install it on the new catch can setup. The port on the intake manifold was connected to the output of the catch cans.

Blazer707@TBR: I have some breathers that I bought awhile back but decided not to use them because I wanted to keep my longer oil change interval with Amsoil. Ill give it a try.

lshin037

Established Member
Tried the breathers. No luck. Still at 8 psi. Disassembled the pass PCV line and redid it, making sure the valves shuts. But the breathers would've been the sure method and it's still at 8. Wtf

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OK. Read this carefully.

If you have a fancy catch can set up then all you need to do is CAP or PLUG the intake port in the intake manifold behind the throttle body that used to go to the pass side valve cover. That's it.

If you have already done that then move on to the next step.

Why don't you post some pics of this stuff so we can see what is going on.

lshin037

Established Member
OK. Read this carefully.

If you have a fancy catch can set up then all you need to do is CAP or PLUG the intake port in the intake manifold behind the throttle body that used to go to the pass side valve cover. That's it.

If you have already done that then move on to the next step.

Why don't you post some pics of this stuff so we can see what is going on.

I plugged that port when I tried the breathers and my pressure is still at 8. I'll do my best to post pics. My plan was to post pics of the problem I found but I guess progress pics will help someone down the line for another issue.

My next move is to do another pressure test but concentrate on the BOV.

BTW...the only reason I'm using the catch can with the output of it connected to the intake port is to keep the vacuum intact and be able to extend the life of the oil before changing.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
im going to see if I can get the GoPro charged up and take a quick video for you on what to do and what to look for when boost leak testing.

lshin037

Established Member
Ok. So I tested the pressure again concentrating on the BOV. I disconnected the vacuum line to it and pressurized the system. I set the compressor to pump air slowly (like 1-2 psi/sec) and the pressure would stop at around 11-12 psi. I connected a hand pump to the BOV vacuum line and pumped air into it and only then would the pressure keep going up (stopped at 15 psi). Is that normal operation for the BOV? I thought the valve is supposed to stay shut without the vacuum line.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No. You cannot disconnect the line to the BOV. when there is pressure in the line that goes to the BOV it keeps pressure on top of the valve keeping it closed. you MUST keep pressure in the line when testing.

When the vacuum line going to the BOV sees actual vacuum or LESS psi than is in the charge pipe, then the pressure forcing against the face of the valve from inside the charge pipe "wins" and makes the valve release which is when you hear the PPPSSSHHHHH sound.

When testing for leaks you must keep the vacuum line to the BOV hooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread