SID297 Gets a New DD : SVTP Gets Another Ford V8 to Mod

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ets-new-dd-svtp-proves-well-mod-anything.html

It’s a sad truth that in life sometimes you have to move on from a car you love due to changes in your lifestyle. That was the situation I found myself in recently. My trusty 2000 Jeep Cherokee served me faithfully for many years. It carried me through many harsh northern West Virginia winters and never let me down off-road. With a premium lift, wheels, tires, locker, power mods, and doomsday proof 4.0L I-6 it could take me anywhere I wanted to go. However, all those mods that made it great for short trips and off-roading in WV didn’t really translate well into my new lifestyle of longer trips and basically no off-road driving. The end result was the Jeep was being asked to work in a situation it just wasn’t built for. After a one last 500 mile trip with her I decided it was time to look for a new daily driver.

As much as I love this truck, it's tough to admit that it just doesn't fit my life anymore.

Jeep_001.jpg

Jeep_002.jpg

Jeep_003.jpg

Jeep_004.jpg

Jeep_005.jpg

Jeep_006.jpg

Jeep_007.jpg

Jeep_008.jpg

I then came to the realization that I didn’t know what new car I wanted to buy. I knew I wanted another SUV for utility, and I wanted something safer on the highway than my Cherokee’s 30 year old design afforded. The list of other requirements were; the ability to tow about 4,000 pounds, it had to get better mileage than the Jeep’s 13-16 MPG, decent power and reliability, better handling than the Jeep, a moderate level of technology, comfortable for in-town and highway use, overkill A/C (SC summers are HOT), and it needed to look decent. My first thought was a Lincoln Aviator. My parents own a 2005 model (last year they were made) and it’s a nice truck. I especially like its DOHC 4.6L V8 and HID headlights. But in my searches I couldn’t find a clean one that looked decent and fit my budget. Plus the more I looked at them, the more geriatric they seemed to look.

That led me to looking at the Aviator’s more successful platform sibling, the Ford Explorer. After a few hours of searching online I found the truck that would end up being my new DD, a 2009 Explorer XLT Sport V8. It really intrigued me because I had never seen a Sport model 4th Gen Explorer, I didn’t even know they existed. By checking off the XLT Sport option you get a bunch of stuff, but the most noticeable differences are the two-tone finish and the Sport-Trac Adrenaline 20-inch polished aluminum wheels. So to me, this Explorer looks somewhat unique compared to all the mommymobiles out there. I really like this generation of Explorer because it’s something of a throwback. The days of mid-size body on frame SUVs are basically over, and this model of Explorer is something of a high water mark for that type of Ford truck.

My new Ex is equipped with a 4.6L 3V V8, a 6R80 6-speed auto tranny, 8.8 IRS suspension, a fully boxed frame, AWD, SYNC, and amazingly cold A/C. While it’s no racecar it does run nicely and gets about 21 MPG on the highway. I think it’s safe to say that I’ll be adding a little more power in the future. However, the first addition I wanted to make to the Ex was the same first mundane add-on we made to the SVTP 2012 GT; some deep tread rubber floor mats and a rubber cargo liner (all to help combat beach sand buildup). As before, we made a call to Tousley Ford to order Ford Accessory mats, which always fit perfectly. I’ll be covering more mods (many more fun than floormats) being added to the Ex in a couple future articles. So if you like modding your DD to be more fun, reliable, and economical be sure to keep an eye on the SVTP Featured Articles Forum.

2009_Explorer_Intro_001.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_002.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_003.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_004.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_005.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_006.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_007.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_008.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_009.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_010.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_011.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_012.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_013.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_014.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_015.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_016.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_017.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_018.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_019.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_020.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_021.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_022.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_023.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_024.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_025.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_026.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_027.jpg

2009_Explorer_Intro_028.jpg

Next week we will have 2 more threads covering the first round of mods and a little maintenance.

-SID297:beer:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I can see it now.... Picking up your kids from soccer practice in it. lol

Congrads on the vehicle bro

germeezy1

Established Member
It's an offroad S197 with a S197 Mustang engine, 5.0 auto trans, and an IRS. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see what you have planned for it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Nice Jeep! Jeremy has a 2001 Cherokee with something like 170,000 miles on it at this point. Here is my DD Jeeper.

photobucket-6217-1344951515077.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Did you sell the Jeep or keep it as a back up vehicle?

It's an offroad S197 with a S197 Mustang engine, 5.0 auto trans, and an IRS. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see what you have planned for it.

I've been readying the Jeep to sell it. I hate to sell it, but I don't have the room for it and don't use it anymore.

The mods are hopefully going to go from normal to abnormal over the next few months.

.......how much for the jeep? lol

Looks nice. I like the grill.

I haven't come up with a price yet, but I'm thinking $5500 with every spare part I have to go with it. Pretty much every normal wear item on it has been replaced in the last 15,000 miles.

Nice Jeep! Jeremy has a 2001 Cherokee with something like 170,000 miles on it at this point. Here is my DD Jeeper.

2012-08-03_13-13-30_610.jpg

Good looking Jeep. I may pick on of those up in a few years if they start putting in an engine I'd really like.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've been readying the Jeep to sell it. I hate to sell it, but I don't have the room for it and don't use it anymore.

The mods are hopefully going to go from normal to abnormal over the next few months.

I haven't come up with a price yet, but I'm thinking $5500 with every spare part I have to go with it. Pretty much every normal wear item on it has been replaced in the last 15,000 miles.

Good looking Jeep. I may pick on of those up in a few years if they start putting in an engine I'd really like.

Eh, just do a Hemi Conversion, LOL. In all honesty the power and torque, though staggeringly low, works very well off-road.

andymarkv

Established Member
Very nice!
What gears does this one have? Although traditional gearing thought doesn't really apply here because of the 6sp, correct?

How does it "feel" stock? Does it really need a tune? Is there much aftermarket support for it?
How do the seats feel? Most late model SUV's I've been in have flat uncomfortable seats.

Can't wait to hear more! This might make a nice replacement for the wifes '04 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee!
Although I did a quick search....and '07-'10 4.6 Explorers are pretty hard to come by within a 100 mile radius of me. Are they fairly of rare?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Very nice!
What gears does this one have? Although traditional gearing thought doesn't really apply here because of the 6sp, correct?

How does it "feel" stock? Does it really need a tune? Is there much aftermarket support for it?
How do the seats feel? Most late model SUV's I've been in have flat uncomfortable seats.

Can't wait to hear more! This might make a nice replacement for the wifes '04 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee!
Although I did a quick search....and '07-'10 4.6 Explorers are pretty hard to come by within a 100 mile radius of me. Are they fairly of rare?

It has 3.55s. The big wheels and tires and tall 6th combined with those gears makes for some good highway mileage.

Aftermarket support is fairly weak. Stock it feels dull. Next week I'll be covering some of mods. The seats feel good to me, but that's a subjective area.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
It's too bad Lincoln quit making the Aviator after '05: 305 HP & 300 Lb/Ft with the DOHC 4.6L V8 (basically the Mach 1 engine) and quite a muscular look. Also has bigger brakes than the Explorer and supposedly a stiffer chassis. I love my '03 - will drive it for many years still.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Damn I have had 7 of that body style Cherokee including the current one I am driving as a DD with 218k on it. Wish I knew you were going to unload that while we were at MW. I would love another lol

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's too bad Lincoln quit making the Aviator after '05: 305 HP & 300 Lb/Ft with the DOHC 4.6L V8 (basically the Mach 1 engine) and quite a muscular look. Also has bigger brakes than the Explorer and supposedly a stiffer chassis. I love my '03 - will drive it for many years still.

I'd like to do a brake upgrade to the Ex. Might try to see if stock Brembos from a 2011+ GT will go on with a little persuading.

Damn I have had 7 of that body style Cherokee including the current one I am driving as a DD with 218k on it. Wish I knew you were going to unload that while we were at MW. I would love another lol

I considered taking it over to the car show and putting a for sale sign on it.

Users who are viewing this thread