SID297 Gets a New DD : SVTP Gets Another Ford V8 to Mod

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Congrats Travis. Not sure of the tuning support out there, but seem to remember that trans is really sloppy/lazy. I am sure tweaking that would make a nice difference.

LOL, the Jeep seems to be stealing the show in this thread!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not a bad looking EXPLODER! Good styling and color.

Thanks

I think a 93 octane tune along with a trans tune would be a major improvement.

I guess we'll see next week.:beer:

It looks pretty clean. Too bad you have to get rid of the jeep, it looks like it would have been a ton of fun to off road.

I don't HAVE to sell the Jeep, but I should. I just don't have a spot for it in the lineup at this time. I've considered putting it into storage in WV for when I go up there, but that's just asking for a ton of maintenance issues.

Congrats Travis. Not sure of the tuning support out there, but seem to remember that trans is really sloppy/lazy. I am sure tweaking that would make a nice difference.

LOL, the Jeep seems to be stealing the show in this thread!

The stock tranny tuning is pretty soft. Tuning is definitely required.

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
I have a 02 Exp v8 aswell. I put a k&n intake and a mangnaflow exhaust. Dyno tuned it and made 250whp. I really want to put a turbo on it but i have no idea if the truck can handle it. I dont want to be braking the drivetrain. So im at a dead still

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Bad ass! That is a good looking truck SID!We're on our second Explorer and will no doubt get another one when it's time to pass this one one.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a 02 Exp v8 aswell. I put a k&n intake and a mangnaflow exhaust. Dyno tuned it and made 250whp. I really want to put a turbo on it but i have no idea if the truck can handle it. I dont want to be braking the drivetrain. So im at a dead still

The AWD system concerns me somewhat. I'm not sure the viscous coupling transfer case would be happy copping with 100 more AWHP.

Bad ass! That is a good looking truck SID!We're on our second Explorer and will no doubt get another one when it's time to pass this one one.

Thanks, it has been a good vehicle so far.

looks awesome!

slowgreycobra

Established Member
We ran around in a few Explorers in Baghdad two years ago. They were base models with the 4.0. Very boring and generic looking. I was not impressed. On the other hand your Explorer looks 100X better than the base explorers. It actually looks like a vehicle to hunt for if you wanted a nice looking SUV daily driver. Great choice! I look forward to seeing what you do to this thing.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The AWD system concerns me somewhat. I'm not sure the viscous coupling transfer case would be happy copping with 100 more AWHP.

Thanks, it has been a good vehicle so far.

Sid- I can point you to two people that know A LOT about modding Explorers and where the weaklinks are. They both own 3rd gens, but the same rules for breaking should apply to 4th gens to some degree.

I'd like to see: Tune, intake exhaust, then blower. As far as visual, jsut a 20% tint and lower it down. The main thing I would LOVE to know is what can you do for larger brakes???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We ran around in a few Explorers in Baghdad two years ago. They were base models with the 4.0. Very boring and generic looking. I was not impressed. On the other hand your Explorer looks 100X better than the base explorers. It actually looks like a vehicle to hunt for if you wanted a nice looking SUV daily driver. Great choice! I look forward to seeing what you do to this thing.

Thanks.:beer:

This one is one of two V8 Sports I was able to find in the country. It's the most heavily optioned one I've seen too.

I think this Sport model could have been very popular for Ford if people had known about it. I'm sure it would have done well with the SVTP crowd.

Sid- I can point you to two people that know A LOT about modding Explorers and where the weaklinks are. They both own 3rd gens, but the same rules for breaking should apply to 4th gens to some degree.

I'd like to see: Tune, intake exhaust, then blower. As far as visual, jsut a 20% tint and lower it down. The main thing I would LOVE to know is what can you do for larger brakes???

I think you'll be happy with some of the stuff you'll see starting next week.

Thanks for the offer of help. Direct those guys to this thread or to the one I post next week and we can get a good tech discussion started.

rocket5979

Established Member
Does it really need a tune? Is there much aftermarket support for it?

While there isn't allot of direct aftermarket support for the Explorers, they have shared drivetrains with other more popular vehicles that people mod since the mid 90's. So while there are some things offered, even the occasional blower kit, there is ALLLLLOT more out there if you look around and are willing to do a little custom work.

Your stock drivetrain can handle a turbo on low boost. You have a 5R55W transmission which is a close twin brother to the other 5R55S and 5R55N A5 transmissions found in the S197 Mustangs. Just like with any other modern electronic transmission, the tune assists quite a bit in these things living with power at the 400-ish rwhp marker. Many moons ago when my 03 X was mostly stock I had adapted the KB 2.2 blower from a Mustang GT kit onto it and made 400rwhp on about 8psi and a conservative tune. The only mods at that time were the blower, 42lb injectors, KB BAP, and 2.5" dual exhaust. The stock rear end is a 31 spline 8.8" IRS so you won't be worrying about breaking that anytime soon.

Thanks for the offer of help. Direct those guys to this thread or to the one I post next week and we can get a good tech discussion started.

I am here. :beer: Very nice looking X Sid! I like that blue color allot.

rocket5979

Established Member
How do you think the AWD system would handle some boost?

There are a few 4th gens running boost in the 425-ish rwhp range that seem to be pretty happy with it and no issues with the AWD TC. A few owners on the Explorerforum that could probably give you more of their firsthand opinion.

What kind of blower are you pondering? I know the Saleen Series IV or V (cannot remember right now) are popular ones for the 3v Explorer guys.

Last edited:

mustang loco

Established Member
Will definately follow this thread,been searching online for info the last couple of days for perf. upgrades on these as well,just got an 09' Sport Trac,congrats on the new ride Sid,looks great!!

nouveaulook011.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There are a few 4th gens running boost in the 425-ish rwhp range that seem to be pretty happy with it and no issues with the AWD TC. A few owners on the Explorerforum that could probably give you more of their firsthand opinion.

What kind of blower are you pondering? I know the Saleen Series IV or V (cannot remember right now) are popular ones for the 3v Explorer guys.

I'm not settled on one yet. I wasn't sure if you could even still get the Saleen ones.

Will definately follow this thread,been searching online for info the last couple of days for perf. upgrades on these as well,just got an 09' Sport Trac,congrats on the new ride Sid,looks great!!

nouveaulook011.jpg

Good looking truck. :beer:

SuperTuff1

Established Member
Nice color. Like the black on the front too. Oh....like the rims. Haven't seen that set-up before on an Explorer. I like.

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
While there isn't allot of direct aftermarket support for the Explorers, they have shared drivetrains with other more popular vehicles that people mod since the mid 90's. So while there are some things offered, even the occasional blower kit, there is ALLLLLOT more out there if you look around and are willing to do a little custom work.

Your stock drivetrain can handle a turbo on low boost. You have a 5R55W transmission which is a close twin brother to the other 5R55S and 5R55N A5 transmissions found in the S197 Mustangs. Just like with any other modern electronic transmission, the tune assists quite a bit in these things living with power at the 400-ish rwhp marker. Many moons ago when my 03 X was mostly stock I had adapted the KB 2.2 blower from a Mustang GT kit onto it and made 400rwhp on about 8psi and a conservative tune. The only mods at that time were the blower, 42lb injectors, KB BAP, and 2.5" dual exhaust. The stock rear end is a 31 spline 8.8" IRS so you won't be worrying about breaking that anytime soon.

I am here. :beer: Very nice looking X Sid! I like that blue color allot.

Thats what i wanted to hear!! Thanks for the info brother. Im going to go ahead and buy the items and start making a turbo kit for my X.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Slick new ride!

Now you have me looking at explorers for a new DD, hmmm

red9450

Established Member
ok, I've been thinking a bit. What kinds of mods would you guys like to see added to the Ex? Intake, exhaust, blower, brakes, built motor, cams, etc? Please keep in mind that this thing is my DD so it needs to remain streetable. :beer:

I've got '10 Adrenalin and love it with the same drive train. It's a great vehicle. I'll be following this thread to check out your mods. GL.

I have a sport trac limited, and will def be following this thread. If you decide to unload those wheels, lmk.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread