SID297 Gets a New DD : SVTP Gets Another Ford V8 to Mod

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Nice color. Like the black on the front too. Oh....like the rims. Haven't seen that set-up before on an Explorer. I like.

Thats what i wanted to hear!! Thanks for the info brother. Im going to go ahead and buy the items and start making a turbo kit for my X.

Cool. Post about it on SVTP.:pepper:

Slick new ride!

Now you have me looking at explorers for a new DD, hmmm

Thx a lot,:beer:

Really like yours as well,and to be honest before yours I never saw a "sport" version of the Explorer ,they're very nice!!..Let the mods begin :))

Like I said above, I'm not surprised you've never seen one. Ford did a very poor job marketing it.

I have a sport trac limited, and will def be following this thread. If you decide to unload those wheels, lmk.:beer:

I think I'll be hanging on to them.:beer:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
It has 3.55s. The big wheels and tires and tall 6th combined with those gears makes for some good highway mileage.

Aftermarket support is fairly weak. Stock it feels dull. Next week I'll be covering some of mods. The seats feel good to me, but that's a subjective area.

you can swap some parts used in the 4.6L 3V in the mustang. UD pullies & cams....and i think a company in alabama called henson performance does alot of explorer stuff. also check out explorerexpress.com, they are huge in the explorer aftermarket and had alot of first and second gen explorer suspension and chassis parts. if its a 3V, grab some 127200 cams, they are drop in and no tuning is required and they really gain a bunch of midrange power. IIRC they run about $725 from comp.

my fiance has an 05 4.0L XLT that we added a k&n drop in, henson performance tune, gibson catback, 180* thermostat and some poly sway bushings and the truck runs great and has had no big wear items. i had to replace the front ring and pinion at 100K and replace the rear wheel bearings at 110K but other than that it has been a very reliable truck and she gets on average 17-20mpg.

good luck with the next truck, looks great and i cant wait to see what your gonna do to it. explorer performance FTW!:beer:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
you can swap some parts used in the 4.6L 3V in the mustang. UD pullies & cams....and i think a company in alabama called henson performance does alot of explorer stuff. also check out explorerexpress.com, they are huge in the explorer aftermarket and had alot of first and second gen explorer suspension and chassis parts. if its a 3V, grab some 127200 cams, they are drop in and no tuning is required and they really gain a bunch of midrange power. IIRC they run about $725 from comp.

my fiance has an 05 4.0L XLT that we added a k&n drop in, henson performance tune, gibson catback, 180* thermostat and some poly sway bushings and the truck runs great and has had no big wear items. i had to replace the front ring and pinion at 100K and replace the rear wheel bearings at 110K but other than that it has been a very reliable truck and she gets on average 17-20mpg.

good luck with the next truck, looks great and i cant wait to see what your gonna do to it. explorer performance FTW!:beer:

I like the idea of a built aluminum block motor with ported heads and a set of cams. Might be a bit extreme though, considering the expense and down time involved. I will definitely look into getting a cooler thermostat though.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sport Blue. I've only seen it on one other truck and it was a Sport Trac.

The first round of mods article will drop tomorrow. Working on the video right now.

andymarkv

Established Member
Very nice!! Looks like the mods really make this thing more fun to drive!

I can't believe how great the Sport package looks! So clean and the Adrenalin wheels fit perfect.

I found one in silver some what local, man they look great!
If it had the 4.6 I'd be looking at it this weekend!
Used 2010 Ford Explorer XLT For Sale | Montoursville PA .

I can't believe how hard these are to find, especially with the 4.6! Heck even the dealers don't list them as "Sport" editions.......
No wonder you had to travel so far to pick this one up.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Very nice!! Looks like the mods really make this thing more fun to drive!

I can't believe how great the Sport package looks! So clean and the Adrenalin fit perfect.

I found one in silver some what local, man they look great!
If it had the 4.6 I'd be looking at it this weekend!
Used 2010 Ford Explorer XLT For Sale | Montoursville PA .

I can't believe how hard these are to find, especially with the 4.6! Heck even the dealers don't list them as "Sport" editions.......
No wonder you had to travel so far to pick this one up.

That's the only silver one I have ever seen. With mileage that low I'd consider buying it and doing a motor swap. A Coyote will bolt right in.

06bluez

I just registered to follow along as you mod your Explorer. I have a 2010 ST Adrenalin 4.6 awd, similar truck to yours.

Just to give you a few ideas here are a few mods I have done to mine. Ford Fusion shift knob and 3m 1080 carbon vinyl wrap over all the chrome trim.
IMG_4128.JPG

I also have a discussion on the "AWD" system that our trucks have. It really isn't AWD in the traditional sense, just the AdvanceTrac system that the 4x4 trucks have and ford didn't give us the ability to shift into low range.

adrenalin AWD transfer case ?'s - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I just registered to follow along as you mod your Explorer. I have a 2010 ST Adrenalin 4.6 awd, similar truck to yours.

Just to give you a few ideas here are a few mods I have done to mine. Ford Fusion shift knob and 3m 1080 carbon vinyl wrap over all the chrome trim.
IMG_4128.JPG

I also have a discussion on the "AWD" system that our trucks have. It really isn't AWD in the traditional sense, just the AdvanceTrac system that the 4x4 trucks have and ford didn't give us the ability to shift into low range.

adrenalin AWD transfer case ?'s - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Welcome to SVTP. Good looking truck, and thanks for the AWD info. Here is the article on the first round of mods we did:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...sts-intake-exhaust-tune-2009-v8-explorer.html

Users who are viewing this thread